Set mining etc. from OOP

dnoyeBdnoyeB DetroitRed Chipper Posts: 284 ✭✭
What's the book on OOP set mining OOP? I know you want about 20x on the stack to set mine. However, I am seeing that its much easier to extract money when V is the preflop raiser and I have position. Without position I need a much better flop to encourage V to bluff or bet all 3 streets. If I have to lead into him it gets hard to pump the money in. (in my online games)

Doesn't seem nearly as profitable OOP.

Comments

• Zero CoolZero Cool Red Chipper Posts: 270 ✭✭✭
    Agreed. Its much more difficult to get value OOP when we hit so I tend to focus on V's player type. Against a tighter player less likely to give action I may opt not to set mine against them OOP.
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 2,704 -
    To compound the problem, against loose players who open from LP when you're in the blinds it's hard to get paid because they have such weak ranges.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • RedRed Red Chipper Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭✭
    Point is not to play your hand, but to play your range. You need to articulate an OOP strategy and see if, where and how set mining would fit it.
  • jeffncjeffnc Red Chipper Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dnoyeB wrote: »
    What's the book on OOP set mining OOP?

This is from the Department of Redundancy Department: almost everything is more profitable out of position. But if the table conditions are right, then you can set mine from OOP too. Position is not as important with a set as it is with a draw. For example, with a hand like 76s it's harder to play out of position because you're more likely to flop a draw to a strong hand (straight, flush) than a strong hand itself, whereas with a set, you either flop or you don't, making it a little easier to play OOP.

• moishetreatsmoishetreats Red Chipper Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭
    Zero Cool wrote: »
    ...I tend to focus on V's player type. Against a tighter player less likely to give action I may opt not to set mine against them OOP.

^This exactly.
  • AustinAustin Red Chipper Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Red wrote: »
    Point is not to play your hand, but to play your range. You need to articulate an OOP strategy and see if, where and how set mining would fit it.

I was trying to think of a way to articulate why set mining is old school way of thinking. Red said it above. As the caller given a formation of UTG and you are in the BB a board like 9c 7c 6s benefits you greatly. Have to learn to play using the callers range, not your hand.
  • dnoyeBdnoyeB DetroitRed Chipper Posts: 284 ✭✭
    Agreed. Baby steps though :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file