JJ facing a 3 bet before action gets to you.

AustinAustin Red Chipper Posts: 5,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
High stakes 25-50-100 with BB ante 100. Full table nine handed. Other stacks are 200bb+ effective 20k+. BB should have a depolarized range here.

UTG+1 open 300
UTG+2 calls 300
Co calls $300
BB ($9600) seat 9 3 bets to $2025
Seat 1 (covers) :Jc :Js ???

JJ facing a 3 bet before action gets to you.

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• AustinAustin Red Chipper Posts: 5,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fold
    khddh01qtlcj.png
    j9990dadew8e.png

I find this to be a pretty tough spot vs active 3 bettors. I gave BB the range listed in the spoiler above. Maybe with the dead money it's a call? Pretty close to 50\50 though. Also if you change the hand to QQ your equity goes above 50%, but that would mean your only flatting 6 combos of QQ and nothing else as you would 4bet Kk+? Guess you can just 4 bet QQ+ and fold everything else. Idk if you want to flat and risk going 5 ways.
  • moishetreatsmoishetreats Red Chipper Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭
    Cold 4 bet
    Maybe I missed it in your description: Where is Seat 1 in this hand?
    Fold
    Maybe I missed it in your description: Where is Seat 1 in this hand?

Seat 1 is the $100 straddle. Seat 9 is the $50 BB.
  • AkashicAkashic Red Chipper Posts: 57 ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Cold 4 bet
    Polarized range sold me on the 4bet. I haven't seen the spoilers yet, but I think we are ahead here a good % of the time. He should have more air there than not.

Edit: I thought you said Polarized, not Depolar. I would have probably folded actually
    Fold
    Akashic wrote: »
    Polarized range sold me on the 4bet. I haven't seen the spoilers yet, but I think we are ahead here a good % of the time. He should have more air there than not.

Edit: I thought you said Polarized, not Depolar. I would have probably folded actually

Blinds are usually depoled because they can expect IP player(s) to flat more often. Not sure how much the strategy changes for the BB being the "short stack" around 100bb.
  • NinjahNinjah Red Chipper Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭✭
    Cold 4 bet
    With dead money and stack depth, the 3-bettor has the incentive to 3-bet a wide range. Our hand doesn't play well as a flat in this situation and a cold 4-bet looks really strong, meaning we should expect to pick this pot up preflop enough of the time to make it a profitable play.
    Fold
    Ninjah wrote: »
    With dead money and stack depth, the 3-bettor has the incentive to 3-bet a wide range. Our hand doesn't play well as a flat in this situation and a cold 4-bet looks really strong, meaning we should expect to pick this pot up preflop enough of the time to make it a profitable play.

Curious what range you give the BB. If you check the 2nd spoiler I gave TT+, AJs+, AQo+ do you think this is too narrow? I gave him 4-5% because he is oop where as if btn 3bet I would say this is a mandatory 4 bet. Or if stacks were deeper I would consider cold calling. The 100bb is throwing me off because vs this squeeze a cold 4bet pot commits you. The range I gave gives JJ about 47% equity.
    in game Garrett ended up folding JJ here which surprised a lot of people. Week prior Ryan got put in a tough spot with JJ facing a cold 4 bet vs Art.

I feel JJ is right on the border and much like getting all in with AKo at the micros it becomes 50/50 and can't be right or wrong without some history.

I'm still not sure I like a cold 4 bet here. I guess if villain is folding his AJs, AQo and TT then it is an easy cold 4bet.
    Fold
    Looking at the math, maybe someone can help. How often do we need folds if villain only continues with QQ+ & AK? JJ has 36% equity against that range. There is $3,150 already in the pot and $9,600 effective.

ubu6670m75oi.png

Does this mean we need BB to fold 42% of his 3bet range?

25 combos of TT-AA *JJ only 1 combo
    AJs-AKs = 10 combos *AJs discounted
    AQo-AKo = 24 combos

Total 3 bet combos is 59 combos, so we need villain to fold 25 combos to show a profit ignoring the others in the pot.

AQo\s = 16 combos
    TT = 6 combos
    AJs = 2 combos
    JJ= 1 combo

So with a tight range I come up with the exact # of combos needed to show a small profit. Now if he has a wider 3bet range or the cold 4 bet with a wider range than it is more profitable.

Do my #s look good?

https://redchippoker.com/fold-equity-calculator/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file