Called All-In. Was it a correct call?

Hunter GriffinHunter Griffin Red Chipper Posts: 23 ✭✭
edited August 2018 in Tournament Poker Hands
50 player live tourney. Blinds (800/1600). I have been very tight and sticking to my range. At this point it is 1 1/2 - 2 hrs into tournament. I have played 3 hands leading up to this point. Have not lost a hand. The villain is relatively new to the table.

HAND: :Kd:Qh

Folded to Hero (BTN)
Hero Raises to 2BB (3200)
Villain (SB) calls

FLOP: :3d:4d:Kh

Villain Checks
Hero bets 4.5 BB
Villain calls

TURN: :Ad

Villain goes ALL IN (13k)
(after 3min) Hero calls 13k ALL IN w/ 12k remaining in stack.
Villain: :8d:Kc

River: :As

Hero Wins

Personally I called due to his pot commitment on the flop. He had 20k ish remaining when the flop came out. Based on the fact that he has yet to see me play a single hand so far since I've been folding, If he was on flush draw or had an Ace he would have folded to my C-bet. If he had AK he would have reraised me either PreFlop or OTF, or opened to me OTF. Therefore after a few minutes of thought I put him on TPBK

Best Answers

Answers

• Hunter GriffinHunter Griffin Red Chipper Posts: 23 ✭✭
    I don't know why but I cannot see the reaction to my post:(
    Austin wrote: »
    Blinds 800\1600
    Hero BTN (35,400) :KD::QH: raise to 3200
    Sb (23,400) calls
    BB folds

Flop (8000) :3D::4D::KH:
    Sb (20,200) checks
    Hero bets 7200
    Sb calls

Turn (22,200) :AD:
    Sb all in 13,000
    Hero (25,000) ?

1) how many players are left and how many cash?

2) it's best if we know the stacks on every street or at least the effective stacks to start the hand without reverse engineering them. For example with 23k effective for the SB starting stack and BB unknown KQ becomes a very easy shove from the btn without having to jump through a bunch of hoops postflop.

3) you said how tight you were playing but nothing about SB. Seeing how wide he called preflop and knowing how loose this player makes it a pretty easy call overall. When villain shoves there 35k in the middle and 13k to call.so you need 27% equity. The flush draw gives you 18%, so just have to be better than his hand 9% of the time. Will he have KJ, KQ, K10, K9, PP with diamond 9%? Probably.

4) I think your flop cbet is too big and you lose a lot of value from much weaker hands betting near pot on the flop. Most ace high will fold as well as a lot of weak pairs. You have 1 diamond in your hand so don't have to be terrified of being drawn out on and only 1 over card to the K. Personally I'm betting around 3,000 on the flop and barreling off.

It was just us because it folded around to me with maybe one limper. Once I raised SB was only one to call. I also didn't have much info on him because he was relatively new to the table and hadn't gotten a feel for his range or bet sizing yet.
    persuadeo wrote: »
    Brutal lead shove by button clicker on your range card. You hold the nut blocker, and combined with Ad, many natural flush combos are absent. He should be skewed to value given all factors but you are priced in vs. range. When he shows up with k8... man that is bad.

I'd address that cbet sizing, more importantly.

What would you suggest the cbet be? I knew he had value because he knew I had a good hand PF and while I may have given him the odds to call with a flush draw his ICM and SPR would probably say the opposite. As well as a lower Cbet would not leave me with much information about what he has if an Ace or another diamond comes on the turn.
  • AustinAustin Red Chipper Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brutal lead shove by button clicker on your range card. You hold the nut blocker, and combined with Ad, many natural flush combos are absent. He should be skewed to value given all factors but you are priced in vs. range. When he shows up with k8... man that is bad.

What would you suggest the cbet be? I knew he had value because he knew I had a good hand PF and while I may have given him the odds to call with a flush draw his ICM and SPR would probably say the opposite. As well as a lower Cbet would not leave me with much information about what he has if an Ace or another diamond comes on the turn.

Can you explain the reasons why people bet?

"I wanna know where im at"
    "Im betting for information"

These are not reasons in an overall strategy.
    In the tournament I was in, unfortunately they are. I am still dealing with low-stakes players.
    I've learned that the statement of "Figure out what level your opponent(s) think on and think 1 level above. If you are thinking multiple levels above them then nothing will make sense." to be very true.
    Austin wrote: »

Can you explain the reasons why people bet?

"I wanna know where im at"
    "Im betting for information"

These are not reasons in an overall strategy.

See above comments. Forgot to quote you and reply.
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alright so maybe you have a reason in this spot to bet bigger, but i can't know your entire game. In general, putting that many chips on the pot is inefficient, especially in a tournament, where chips lost matter so much. Hence strong play often involves laying better prices to the opponent who will rate to miss and better to ourselves on our continuance.

In addition, you're creating an overall strategy problem. The closer to pot bet, the fewer combination can profitably reach the next street, meaning you won't get to bet as much with marginal hands here for value or bluff profitably, as you should contort what they call with.

Yes, you do buy clarity through larger bets exactly because you are trending polarized but you also sacrifice EV in order to make easier decisions.

Of course, against players who don't know anything about poker, our own inefficiencies don't get punished. But it doesn't mean you shouldn't examine them, even if they work in your games.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file