Squeeze Sizing

MonkeysystemMonkeysystem Red Chipper Posts: 9 ✭✭
I played this hand on Advanced Poker Training's simulator. The results were as good as could be, but I'm not sure I played it correctly. Just because that fickle witch Lady Luck puts her stamp of approval on your decision, doesn't prove you made the right one.

Table dynamic: SB had been playing semibluffs very aggressively. UTG had not been standing up to pressure enough.

Action:
Advanced Poker Training 6-max, Table: Big City Lights, 6-max, $5 BB (6 handed)
Hand Replay Tool from https://www.advancedpokertraining.com

Hero (UTG+1) ($1411)
Cutoff ($571)
Button ($469)
SB ($1041)
BB ($492)
UTG ($275)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with Kd, Ad
UTG calls $5, Hero raises to $25, 2 folds, SB calls $23, 1 fold, UTG calls $20

Flop: ($80) 6c, 2d, Kc (3 players)
SB bets $48, UTG calls $48, Hero raises to $190, SB raises to $442, 1 fold, Hero calls $252

Turn: ($1012) 6d (2 players)
SB bets $546, Hero raises to $944 (All-In), SB calls $28 (All-In)

Total pot: $2160

The river was 9h and SB tabled Tc, 9c.

Even though AK that flops TPTK is a great hand that wants action, SB's aggressive reraise with these stack sizes was unwelcome. Still, I was never folding on the flop even if I didn't have the read on SB that I had.

I considered folding the turn, but my read on SB (aggressive semibluffer) combined with my nut flush draw equity kept me in the hand. SB might have a FH, but that's a monster under the bed.

My main question is: Was my squeeze sizing on the flop too small?

Comments on my play on the rest of the hand are welcome too.

Comments

• RedRed Red Chipper Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭✭
    Usually I start looking at a pot size bet (here 324$) and then see if I can or should go smaller or bigger - depending on Villains' profiles and my goal as well as SPR.

I think here it's too small. Also it put UTG in an awkward situation. I'd go at least as much as UTG's stack.

(The other questions are: is a flop squeeze the best move? And later: is SB really such a maniac?)
  • AustinAustin Red Chipper Posts: 5,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Against decent size bets half pot or more, I don't really like raising the flop and I use AK to protect my calling range.

By raising you fold out a lot of weak kings and bluffs. Best to call down 3 streets imo.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file