Splash Pot Promo Strategy

JoeOffsuitJoeOffsuit Red Chipper Posts: 577 ✭✭✭
There seem to be quite a few rooms offering splash pot promotions, the majority of them adding the splash amount to a live hand and playing it out where the winner of the hand gets the pot and the splash. I have done a few google searches, and haven't found anything regarding splash pot strategy, so I thought I might work on a crude one, initially based on all villains pushing all-in with any two cards without even looking at their hand. I understand this may seem like a pretty pessimistic assumption of where this promotion appears it could be heading, but I have seen it happen enough times now that it seems to be worthwhile to try to develop a strategy for.

Given the assumption that the hero is playing against N opponents who are going to push all-in with any two cards, and E is the equity the hero's hand has against N opponents playing any two cards, then I calculate that the ratio X of splash pot size to effective stack size for the hero to join the shove-fest would need to be:

X >= (1-(N+1)E)/E

Of course this only applies to the main pot, the side pots add more difficulty to the calculations, but I think this is reasonable for a starting point for a strategy.

I found some equities (E) for some starting hands against 8 opponents playing random hands (N=8) using equilab Monte Carlo simulations, and then calculated the required ratios (X) of splash size to effective stack size for each hand:

72o, E=4.82%, X>=11.7 to 1
84o, E=6.11%, X>=7.4 to 1
K5o, E=8.27%, X>=3.1 to 1
T4s, E=10.04%, X>=1 to 1.04
J9o, E=10.74%, X>=1 to 3.2

And of course any hand with more than 11.11% equity against 8 random hands would be +EV if anything at all is added to the pot.

Just curious if anyone here has seen any strategies posted anywhere, or any opinions if this approach for a strategy is worth trying to fill out?

Comments

• EazzyEazzy Red Chipper Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭✭
    I play in a room with a splash the pot ever half hour, $25 per table with one table randomly getting it....the table can either put the money in all at once or in 2 to 4 $25 pots...

depending on the type of table, it adds an interesting dynamic, to the game.

Some tables become limp fests with only someone with a solid hand making a big raise. These limp fest often will get 7 to 10 players calling $3....

Other times I've been in games a lag/lagtard players will try to steel every one of these hands....

Just this week I played a $50 splash pot 1-3 where 2 players limped, and short stack went all in for $60, the lag player made it 135, a reg then shoved his 180 and I looked at KK and shoved for $600......(I lost when the regs QQ hit a Q on the flop, currently I'm not fond of splash the pots LOL)

These pots do get some weird dynamics. Like you I have seen very little written about them. But I do remember some discussions of how you should play against a mainiac who open shoves for $100 utg...or the guy who shoves his last $60 before the cards are even dealt out.

I do realize I have not answered your questions....but do find they do make for some interesting, and profitable situations....
  • JoeOffsuitJoeOffsuit Red Chipper Posts: 577 ✭✭✭
    I think in Nevada and the West Coast, rooms will typically splash every table in the room with an amount less than the minimum buy in. I suppose in these cases, a splash pot strategy would just be academic.

However in the midwest, several of the poker rooms will randomly select one table in the room to splash, and then the splash amount for that table can be several times the maximum buy-in for the table. When your table is selected in one of these rooms, then I think it might be worth studying how well hands like Q5o and T4s do against 8 random shoves..

Some rooms have gone to the "face up" method I described in the other thread (Austin posted the link) but not all have, and I am thinking of prepping up for those that haven't. I definitely like the face up method better (for the reasons I stated in my post, I think its better for poker) but you know what, I think I also need to embrace the classical way it is done too.

Are there any rooms outside the midwest where the splash amount can be much greater than the max buy-in for a table?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file