Fold aces to river overbet/shove?

moishetreatsmoishetreats Red Chipper Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2018 in Live Poker Hands
1/3, first orbit at the table.
Never played with either V before.
Six-handed.

Pre-flop
Folds to Hero ($330) in CO: :As :Ac, Raises to $11.
BUT ($263) calls.
Folds to BB (~$1,000), who calls.

Flop (~$30): :Jh :8s :6s
Not ideal. This could hit both callers' range, but the back-door flush draw gives me additional equity.
BB checks.
Hero bets $17.
BUT calls.
BB calls.

Turn (~$80): :Kd
BB bets $40.
Hero calls.
BB folds.

River (~$160): :4s
BB shoves.

Hero ($262 behind)??

Comments

• AustinAustin Red Chipper Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1.61 :1 so need 38% equity.

His line repping the K then repping the river flush looks really bluffy to me. Same time he has to worry about you having a flush yourself.

:JH: :8S: :6S: :KD: :4S:

Ks7s (1)
    Ks9s (1)
    KsTs (1)
    KsQs (1)

*not including KsJs because I think we would see a flop xr. Same with sets and 2 pair.

KJ (3) give 3 combos very discounted because doesn't make sense to shove KJ on this river.

This donk lead is throwing me off... Im leaning towards a bluff with a hand like QsTx (4).

Seems like most other flushes are combos on the flop so I would expect to see a XR.

I'm seeing very little value and very little bluffs by villain. Difficult spot. I think I would lose sleep over this hand, so ill end up calling, but I don't have clear clarity on range. Just know line doesn't make sense. Sucks to eliminate some flushes from villains range and lose to a hand like K8s here for two pair.

Maybe im missing something.
  • JoeOffsuitJoeOffsuit Red Chipper Posts: 395 ✭✭✭
    With absolutely no information on these unknown villains, SPR of 10 on the flop suggests we can fold our overpair on this river.
    2nd look im leaning even more towards a bluff now because villain tried to rep Kx on the turn and got called, now repping the flush. I think a lot of open ended hands 97s, T9s, QTs, etc can make this play (not of spades).
  • VegaVega Red Chipper Posts: 31 ✭✭
    I really want to see @moishetreats face when this went down. I read it 5x and I still don't know what the hell just happened.

If I were to cling on to anything remotely imaginable, like @Austin mentioned, repping a K and a flush, you can only do that with one hand KsJs?

I think there are times where you just make the goofiest face known to man, then just forget it ever happened so we can get some sleep. :)
  • SicSemperSicSemper Red Chipper Posts: 105 ✭✭
    I don't think you need to limit BB to KsJs. KXs donking when he makes TPNFD is a very sensible Occam here. The T9s, Q9s, QTs combo draws probably lead the flop.

Only thing that might give me pause is a $1k stack at a 1/3 may be a splashy dude playing wide and getting there a lot. The aggro play could suggest a dude who slings it around, but absent any info, I'd snap fold and not sweat it unless later play showed him capable of leaning on shorter stacks on the river with max pressure.
    Vega wrote: »
    I really want to see @moishetreats face when this went down. I read it 5x and I still don't know what the hell just happened.

If I were to cling on to anything remotely imaginable, like @Austin mentioned, repping a K and a flush, you can only do that with one hand KsJs?

I think there are times where you just make the goofiest face known to man, then just forget it ever happened so we can get some sleep. :)

There is one hand from months ago when I started playing $3\$5 that still haunts me today. Folding a nut flush against 1 possible combo of a straight flush vs a 5x overbet turn shove. I've lost many hours of sleep over this and now when I have doubt and can't decide, I ask myself a simple question, "Will I lose sleep by folding?" If the answer is yes, then I call and sleep like a baby even if I lose. One of the best or worst folds of my poker career, will never know.
  • RedRed Red Chipper Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭✭
    - Hero flop c-bet on a wet dynamic board in a 3-hand pot - where people aren't ready to fold. He shall expect another barrel, except if he think you've like QQ or JX or only put 1 barret often - which he can't as you're unknown to each other.
    - Villain can't rep a K on turn (half pot donkbet) and suddenly rep flush on river (donk c-betting overbet). Except KsXs ? Or he tried (badly) to rep a K when he had a bad FD and got it on river and doesn't know where he is at ?
    - Shoving on :4S: like he has no fear of flush but we know he can't have nut flush (and Hero may have many of them) is not so consistent.

To me it's a call, but only because bet sizing and line is strange and we have :AS: (I may fold other AA)
  • moishetreatsmoishetreats Red Chipper Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, everyone! You're comments about losing sleep are spot on!! Hence the vacillation in the hand and the post afterward...
    I folded. I thought then that it was a mistake, and my gut is still prodding at me now that I erred. Unfortunately, I still have no idea in the world if that was the right play or not. The table broke up shortly after, and V and I were at different tables after that. Looks like I'll never know!

Thanks again, everyone!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file