Nutty on trips board against "supernit"

Martin DMartin D Red Chipper Posts: 79 ✭✭
Pretty sure I misplayed this one. It's an odd spot to me, and I'm not happy about my actions on any postflop street. I'm trying to keep this initial post somewhat concise, so I'm not putting my flopzilla in right now.

Friday night £1/1, ~£160 eff. One of the good regs got felted a couple of times by fun players before I arrived, and chips are therefore moving quickly. I've been varying my opening size quite wildly after isoing 2 limpers to 7x and getting 6 callers. Main villain here has a reputation for being a supernit, but I consider him to be on the tight end of TAG.

I am UTG with KsKc. I open to £6. Standard tag on button calls, nitty tag on BB calls.

Flop (£18): JdJh9d. BB checks, I check, BU checks.
Wasn't sure about betting here - board is paired and doesn't overly favour the PFR in my mind. Probably should have bet to get value from FDs, QT, KT, TT, QQ, T9. SPR is 8ish so I am nowhere near committed.

Turn(£18):(JdJh9d)Jc. BB checks, I bet £7, BU folds, BB raises to £25. I call.
This raise looks to me like a decent hand that is unhappy with my sizing, or a bluff, of which there are many in his range because I didnt bet the flop. On the value side I can see him with Jx, QQ, TT, T9. Can I 3b here? What calls a 3b, just QQ and quads? Definitely never folding.

River(£68):(JdJh9dJc)Qs. BB bet £45, I call.
Same problem as on the turn - never folding but can I raise? Opted to flat because I couldnt in the moment think of much that called, but I am doubting that thought now.

Comments

• AustinAustin Red Chipper Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been varying my opening size quite wildly after isoing 2 limpers to 7x and getting 6 callers.
    I am UTG with KsKc. I open to £6

If your getting 6 callers for 7x, why would you open 6x with KK?
    Flop (£18): JdJh9d. BB checks, I check, BU checks.
    checking the flop, despite there being a flush draw is perfectly fine.
    Turn(£18):(JdJh9d)Jc. BB checks, I bet £7, BU folds, BB raises to £25. I call.

I think calling the check raise here is fine. 3 betting is also fine, but you want to keep his bluffs in.
    River(£68):(JdJh9dJc)Qs. BB bet £45, I call.

On the turn he could have A9, TT, 98s, T9s, etc. Mostly a bunch of 9x. I don't think BB checks TT and QQ twice on flop and turn.

you have to realize your turn bet is small so it could induce some action. Can't really bet / fold in this spot either. Effective stack is ~$134 on the river, basically 3x his raise. I think I am just going to jam here against such loose players. Some times you run into quads, but so be it. Do you think BB over calls QQ preflop instead of 3 betting? His line / range doesn't make sense to me, but I still wanna get value for my hand. The 3rd J is a great card for you.
  • Martin DMartin D Red Chipper Posts: 79 ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    £4 is the "standard" size for the table, and I normally add £1 for every limper. That £7 is only £1 more than the standard. But still, I could have gone higher.

Turn, I'm happy with him raising against my smaller sizing. I tend to keep my delayed cbets small since they had a chance to probe and didn't take it. I agree the third J is a lovely card for me.

I do think he could be overcalling QQ vs UTG. He's a tight and positionally aware player, and his preflop 3b rate is low - I've played something in the region of 6 hours with him and only seen him 3b two or three times preflop. Calling when they should be 3betting is a general habit of most players here and one I struggle not to pick up from them. I've not yet seen him get to showdown with QQ that I recall, but I'm still a newbie live player and don't remember everything. That said I agree with you that you need the patience of a saint to check QQ twice on that board, so it's probably an unlikely holding.

I agree I should be sticking it in on the river. I struggled at the time figuring out what he had that he wouldn't let go of, but it's probably better to throw it in and hope he's looser than I think in this spot. I should add that "such loose players" does not include this particular guy.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file