3bet Pot IP - bluff JJ on missed Turn cbet on two tone board

sb08icsb08ic GermanyRed Chipper Posts: 20 ✭✭
Hi guys this is my first forum post of a hand I would be glad to get some comments on if it's played ok, if it's played bad or what could I made better.

PokerStars, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 5 players
Replay this hand on Upswing Poker

UTG: $2.19 (110 bb)
CO (Hero): $2.22 (111 bb)
BU: $2.89 (145 bb) -- 14/11 on just 35 hands, so nitty tendences but quite small sample size (I don't let me show more stats than vpip/pfr/af/wtsd with a samplesize less than 50 hands)
SB: $1.90 (95 bb)
BB: $2.00 (100 bb) -- 16/9.4 on 88 hands, 0% 3bet, also quite a small sample but also nitty tendences

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is CO with J J
1 fold, Hero raises to $0.06, BTN calls $0.06, 1 fold, BB 3-bets to $0.26, Hero calls $0.20, 1 fold

When BB decided to squeeze I give him quite a strong range according to his stats. I think he could 3bet here with TT+, AK, maybe AQs or KQs (I'm not sure about that).
I called more or less for setvalue here, having in mind that I give BU better pot odds to call and being in the sandwich postflop.
I think folding JJ IP to the preflop aggressor is to good to fold to a 3bet and to bad to 4bet here against this strong range.

Flop: ($0.59) 4 3 8 (2 players)
BB bets $0.30, Hero calls $0.30

I think Villain bets his entire range on this flop no matter if the suited broadways are flushdraws or not. Against the above mentioned range i have about 51% equity if KQs is his range and about 49% equity if it's not. So I think there's no way of folding on this flop.

Turn: ($1.19) A (2 players)
BB checks, Hero bets $0.69, BB folds

On the turn I first thought that this is a bad card for me and a good card for Villain to 2nd barrel. PokerRanger tells me my equity against his range drops to 20-26%.

But as he misses the turn cbet I was kind of surprised because even with Aces or AK he definitely would 2nd barrel on the turn because there's the heart flush draw out there and I do have some flush draws in my range I could have called with preflop like suited connectors T9s+, in some cases 78s and 98s, ATs+, KJs+.

I simply thought he doesn't have a check/call range here, maybe KK, and would fold TT-QQ and KQs which are 17 out of his 41 discounted combos. So I decided to turn my hand into a bluff and represent the A-hit on the turn with a ~ 60% potsize bet.

Any comments on my line here, or my betsize on the turn?
Are my range suggestions ok or what do you kind here?

I'm glad about any advices.

Comments

• NinjahNinjah Red Chipper Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭✭
    First of all, great breakdown of the hand. It really appears that you are thinking about the game the right way. I think that his squeezing range is probably a little bit wider but the range you assigned is fair. He should have more Ax hands in his range than you do so he should be betting this card but 2NL players often play very face up, especially in 3b pots.

That being said, why did you elect to a) turn your hand into a bluff and b) bet a card that you should be checking often? You recognized that you turned it into a bluff but I don't know why. If you check back here, do you think that you could get thin value on the river with smaller sizing, targeting a hand like TT or KQ when the river bricks? Not saying that it's the correct play, but something to think about.
  • AustinAustin Red Chipper Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't like set mining with JJ in a CO vs BTN vs BB formation. I think this is an easy 4 bet spot with lots of dead money in the middle at 100bb. If villain knows you flat JJ against a squeeze, next time you 4 bet he has an easy decision.

Great first hand post. Gave all the details someone could ask for.
  • sb08icsb08ic GermanyRed Chipper Posts: 20 ✭✭
    wow thanks guys for the quick answers.

@Ninjah: yes I think my standard play here would be checking it back, but I recognized and heard in one of the podcasts that Nits (especially on Micros) tend to play there hands very face up as you mentioning too. If they hit the A they bet if no they often check/fold. So I decided to take the pot right away.
    But thin value bets on the river on another check would be more +ev maybe.
    I think I would call a river bet if the river brings a 2-10 but I would not be sure what to do if there's a K or Q river?

@Austin:
    Do you think that's a good 4bet spot just in this sandwich situation or in general (e.g. heads up with absolute position postflop)?
    I'm kind of unsure if this would be a 4bet value or 4bet bluff against this assumed strong villain range.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file