The Anti-Cooler

NYCRyNYCRy Red Chipper Posts: 336 ✭✭✭
Played a fun one last night. 1/3 underground game with a $10 rock utg and BUT. I have $380 main villain covers. I have a tight image but he is brand new to the table and I've never played with him before. We are 7 handed so I go crazy and raise to $20 with Jh8h in MP. 3 callers. ($80).

Flop JT8 rainbow

Villain leads for $45. I overshove for $360. The others fold. He goes well into the tank. At this point I'm thinking he's probably putting me on AK or AQ and wondering if his pair + straight draw are good. I ask him if he wants to see a card. He says sure. I say which one. He says he doesn't care. I randomly flip over the Jh. He sees it, thinks for 5 seconds and then flashes me two red 8's and folds! He then snap racks up and leaves the table.

So glad I flipped the J as I think even this guy would have found a call if I picked the 8

Comments

• BigFarmBigFarm MontrealRed Chipper Posts: 45 ✭✭
    Shenanigans! You both have the 8h?
  • NYCRyNYCRy Red Chipper Posts: 336 ✭✭✭
    ha - my bad. I guess he had a black 8. He actually flashed it very fast and other players at the table immediately asked me what he showed and I actually said I didn't know bc he flashed it so fast. He then said right away he had "3 8's" in a european accent, got up and left
  • dnoyeBdnoyeB DetroitRed Chipper Posts: 284 ✭✭
    Why'd he leave?
  • EatRunPokerEatRunPoker NY, NYRed Chipper Posts: 91 ✭✭
    Just a terrible fold and some of the many ways we benefit as good players. Sometimes bad players just make horrible folds that we would never make there. This creates profit.

I think your confident table talk combined with "winning" the 50/50 by him picking the J won you the hand. Maybe I need to rethink my NYC underground rake-too-high theory.. lol
  • AustinAustin Red Chipper Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's up with players folding bottom set. I know @Christian Soto posted a video of ArT Vs Andy on LATB where Andy 3bet flop on J76dd, turn T and Andy barrels $10k into $14k about (50k effective) and ArT folds 66. Andy had J10, so similar spot.
    You have 9 combos of J10 and 3 combos of JJ, bad fold. Especially with two rocks? Utg and BTN? So there is $24 in dead money?
    Austin wrote: »
    Especially with two rocks? Utg and BTN? So there is $24 in dead money?

No I just meant the rock comes out only UTG and on the BUT. So it doesn't happen every hand and wasn't out during this one.

Ok here's a derail of my own thread. Just played another "not so fun" one involving bottom set.

1/2NL at Parx. Its Monday morning Labor Day and my table is somehow great. The main villain in this hand is kinda new to the table. He's been playing loose but is somewhat competent. Most everyone else is super passive - tons of limp/calling going on. I have about $275. Both main villains cover.

MP(guy new to table) opens for $12. CO(loose/competent guy) calls $12 and says to raiser "you stole my raise" as he had chips in his hand. I call on BUT with 44. 3 others call. 6 ways to a 457 rainbow flop. ($67)

Orig raiser CBets $25. CO raises to $55. Hero?

• AustinAustin Red Chipper Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NYCRy wrote: »
    Austin wrote: »
    Especially with two rocks? Utg and BTN? So there is $24 in dead money?

No I just meant the rock comes out only UTG and on the BUT. So it doesn't happen every hand and wasn't out during this one.

Ok here's a derail of my own thread. Just played another "not so fun" one involving bottom set.

1/2NL at Parx. Its Monday morning Labor Day and my table is somehow great. The main villain in this hand is kinda new to the table. He's been playing loose but is somewhat competent. Most everyone else is super passive - tons of limp/calling going on. I have about $275. Both main villains cover.

MP(guy new to table) opens for $12. CO(loose/competent guy) calls $12 and says to raiser "you stole my raise" as he had chips in his hand. I call on BUT with 44. 3 others call. 6 ways to a 457 rainbow flop. ($67)

Orig raiser CBets $25. CO raises to $55. Hero?

Orginal thought was call down. $55 doesn't rep other sets though. Maybe 88 or 66 making a freeze play? Folding a set is never an option on the flop though, so maybe just ship it. If he wanted to raise preflop, likely wasn't 86s. I guess 55 or 77 is possible, but im going broke anyways. A cold call looks pretty strong. I still think im shipping it for value. It's not thick value, not super thin either.
  • dnoyeBdnoyeB DetroitRed Chipper Posts: 284 ✭✭
    87s 76s 65s 22-99.
    CO puny 3-bet often is an attempt to get isolation. It's so small but it's still going to get stacks in.. Price is too good. Expecting MP to call as well. 2368 will be trouble cards but you're in position which is good.
    I shipped it and he basically slow rolled thinking for 3 minutes then called with 36. I believe it was offsuit.

I was thinking afterwords that it might be better to flat there. Obv his action was strong but there are also 4 other people in the pot. My thought in shipping was that I didn't want a loose/passive behind to cold call with a 6 in their hand. But I'm also not sure what this particular player(especially considering his tank call with the 2nd nuts) is calling my all in with that I'm beating. He's unlikely to be raising small like that in a 6 way pot without a super strong hand like the better sets or straights.

I also remembered him showing down a junk hand earlier after raising in LP so his "you stole my raise" speech play didn't mean anything. He's just someone who will raise in LP with literally anything assuming he can outplay 1/2 players.

Turn was an A so I'm probably unlikely to get away even if I flat flop but in large multiway pots, play strays so far from theoretically correct I'm just always looking for ways to save money in these spots

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file