A hand I played badly

JBPoyntonJBPoynton Derby. UKRed Chipper Posts: 41 ✭✭
Hi all,

Thoughts on this hand please. Villain Limped and called even when he hit his flush on the turn. I took his river bet for a bluff and called with two pair.

PokerStars - $0.02 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

SB: 78.5 BB (VPIP: 54.90, PFR: 1.96, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 52)
BB: 127.5 BB (VPIP: 26.51, PFR: 15.66, 3Bet Preflop: 4.17, Hands: 84)
UTG: 126.5 BB (VPIP: 40.00, PFR: 20.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 5)
MP: 103 BB (VPIP: 13.16, PFR: 11.84, 3Bet Preflop: 3.45, Hands: 79)
CO: 125.5 BB (VPIP: 20.31, PFR: 15.63, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 66)
Hero (BTN): 51 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has J:club: K:diamond:

fold, fold, CO raises to 3 BB, Hero calls 3 BB, SB calls 2.5 BB, BB calls 2 BB

Flop: (12 BB, 4 players) Q:spade: J:heart: 5:spade:
SB checks, BB checks, CO checks, Hero bets 6 BB, fold, BB calls 6 BB, fold

Turn: (24 BB, 2 players) 7:spade:
BB checks, Hero checks

River: (24 BB, 2 players) 5:club:
BB bets 16 BB, Hero calls 16 BB

BB shows A:spade: 8:spade: (Flush, Ace High)
(Pre 60%, Flop 44%, Turn 100%)
Hero mucks J:club: K:diamond: (Two Pair, Jacks and Fives)
(Pre 40%, Flop 56%, Turn 0%)
BB wins 54 BB

Comments

• austi003austi003 Red Chipper Posts: 11 ✭✭
    @Joe Poynton In my opinion, there are two items I want to comment on:

1) At that level of play, when a player simply calls, checks, and then shows up on the river with a big bet, they have the hand 98% of the time. Players at that level simply don't bluff enough. He called preflop hoping to hit, he hits on the turn and hopes you would bet, but when you didn't he can't risk not firing the river. As played, he's either going to show up with trip 5's or a flush more often than not. At higher levels, perhaps someone tries bluffing an A10 or a K10 that missed, but I don't see a lot of logical hands your opponent is playing there that they try turning into a bluff.

2) On the flop, what was your goal with the bet? I'm not really sure I like a 1/2 pot bet in this spot against 3 players. If my goal is to fold out better hands (a Queen or AJ), then I like closer to a 2/3 or pot size bet to apply some pressure. However, if I'm betting for value, I feel like I'd lean more towards a one third or slightly larger than a one third size bet to keep some worse jacks or fives in the picture, along with the straight and flush draws. I'm not quite giving them the right price to draw there, but it allows me to better evaluate and see what the turn brings. I like your check back on the turn, but you've got to be disciplined enough to fold on the river when your opponent shows up with a large bet (once again, I say that for your level because your opponents aren't likely smart enough to realize they can bluff big and get you to fold to a scary board). If you held a KQ or AQ, I'd be more comfortable with the 1/2 pot because you have fewer hands you are behind when called, and you are charging a larger price for the draw. Perhaps I'm opening myself up too much to exploitative play at higher levels with that logic, but you should be fine at lower limits.
  • dnoyeBdnoyeB DetroitRed Chipper Posts: 284 ✭✭
    I don't see any reason to check the turn after betting the flop. By checking here you are almost inducing a river bluff. So you put yourself into a position to have to call with two pair. I probably would have bet the turn and if villain donked the river then I would have a more confident fold. As played I think you probably have to call the river.
  • JBPoyntonJBPoynton Derby. UKRed Chipper Posts: 41 ✭✭
    Thanks guys. It seems like a long time since I posted this!

I’m going to go back to it later today and review it alongside your comments and see how it looks. I think I’m playing a bit different now so will be interesting to see.

I’ll post a more recent one I’ve played too.
  • JBPoyntonJBPoynton Derby. UKRed Chipper Posts: 41 ✭✭
    Looking at this as I would play now, generally more aggressive and hopefully with a bit more skill.

I would have definitely bet 9bb at least on the flop, depending on how the table dynamic felt, he rarely 3 bets so maybe I bet more?

I would probably fire again 2/3 pot after villains turn check to try and push him off his drawing hand or at least get a read. If he checks that then bets big on the river or 3 bets the turn I think I would be able to find the fold.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file