Bottom Set on Bad Turn - 3bet pot - 3way

sb08icsb08ic GermanyRed Chipper Posts: 20 ✭✭
I would be glad to get some comments on my turn action here.

PokerStars, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 6 players
Replay this hand on Upswing Poker

UTG (Hero): $2.06 (103 bb)
MP: $3.04 (152 bb) - 40/13 on 47 hands, very loose passive tendencies
CO: $2.12 (106 bb)
BU: $2.15 (108 bb)
SB: $2.00 (100 bb)
BB: $2.54 (127 bb) - 54/31 on 14 hands, samplesize too small

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is UTG with 9 9
Hero raises to $0.06, MP 3-bets to $0.10, 3 players fold, BB calls $0.08, Hero calls $0.04

I get a good price here and call the 2bb more.

Flop: ($0.31) 9 T K (3 players)
BB checks, Hero checks, MP bets $0.06, BB calls $0.06, Hero raises to $0.54, MP calls $0.48, BB calls $0.48

I decided to checkraise here because I thought I could get action from MP although he's quite passive. If he's capable of 3betting preflop I thought he's also capable of cbetting this K-high flop.
I made the cbet size quite big because BB shows interest on this flop too and I thought at least one of them is calling some Kx hands here and other second best hands.

Turn: ($1.93) J (3 players)
BB checks, Hero checks, MP bets $0.26, BB raises to $0.52, UTG (Hero) folds, MP calls $0.26

I got a bit surprised that I got 2 callers on this potsize raise. The Turn card is a bit suboptimal, if I bet here I have to shove 71 into 92.5 and I think on this board texture I don't get a call by worse hands.

My question here is as played if I can call the turn raise when I'm expecting MP to call as well and on planning to shove any river which is a 9, T, K or J (10outs).
Would be 5.1:1 Pot odds without a call from MP.

I decided to fold here because I didn't know how MP would act after me. If he'd raised here I would have been committed anyway.

River: ($2.97) T (2 players)
BB bets $1.38 (all-in), MP calls $1.38

I thanks for any comments :-)

Comments

• AustinAustin Red Chipper Posts: 5,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why would you have to shove turn? Would a small bet get called by worse?

Why fold getting direct odds? Just cause you fear someone who bet 1\8th pot is going to all of sudden shove?
  • sb08icsb08ic GermanyRed Chipper Posts: 20 ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    yeah I think you are right that a small bet on the turn would be the best and gets probably called by many worse toppair, two pair and maybe even middle pair hands.
    I don't know why I changed my way here. I was recognizing over the past few weaks that small 30% or 40% pot bets are highly effective in NL2 because most of the players don't adjust to that in any way.
    You keep pot control because no one wants to raise most of the time and the even fold a lot which makes every bluff super cheap and exploitive.
    Why folding get direct odds?
    mh, I don't understand that question :-) I meant the pot odds for calling without a call from MP, with a call from MP pot odds would have been even better. Or do you mean these are implied odds then?

Hand could be played better of course I think, but the positive aspect is I saw the showdown and got big notes on both players here ;-)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file