Confusing Opponent Line

Jordan PowerJordan Power Red Chipper Posts: 512 ✭✭✭
Hi all, hope everyone had a nice weekend. Wanted to share a hand I played this weekend at $1/$3 NL at the MGM National Harbor outside D.C. It was Saturday, early evening, about 8 pm., about 3 hours into my session.

I was dealt AcQd on the button with $365 in my stack. UTG+1 raises to $8, a very low raise for the table. The standard raise was $15 and UTG+1 had generally been raising to $15 or $18 previously. I feel like this information is relevant but if I'm overthinking this, please let me know. UTG+1 is also playing an extremely wide range but folding very often after the flop.

Two players called in middle position and the cutoff calls as well. I decide to three bet to $45 because the table had a ton of players who were trying to see cheap flops. There were many hands where someone raised or 3-bet a small raise and everyone folded. I would normally not 3-bet AQ off but I thought being on the button gave me a decent chance to try to steal there with a decent hand besides. Feedback certainly appreciated here.

Blinds fold. UTG+1 and cutoff calls. Pot is $155. UTG sits with ~$250 behind and cutoff sits ~$350 behind.

Flop comes out: Kc Jc 9d. Action checks to me and I decide to C-bet with my gut shot, overcard, and backdoor nut flush draw. I bet for $75. UTG+1 calls, cutoff folds.

Turn is a 8h. Villian checks. I decide to check back with the following thought process:

1. If I bet here, I pretty much have to put him all in as he has $175 left and the pot is $305
2. Betting $175, not even 2/3 pot is not going to push this guy off a flush draw based upon how I have seen him play. About an hour prior he chased a flush draw to the river with 10-3 of hearts, so not even the nut flush draw, which I know he does not have because I have the Ace of clubs.
3. I don't really have anything and his range connects with the board in many ways.He's called extremely large bets with top pair moderate kicker as well.

That's my rationale at least; would love some feedback there.

River card comes 10 of clubs, so I have filled my straight but any club draw has gotten there. Villain leads out for $30 into the $305 pot. The underbet struck me as odd. Perhaps he thinks I have nothing and is trying to get any money on his flush which just filled but realistically I cannot figure out how he makes a flush there.

I would think based on the 3 hours I played with him prior that he is calling my 3-bet with any pocket pair, AJ+, higher suited connectors, 10J suited+. But I would have thought any of these hands would have been raised higher than $8. Once the King and Jack of clubs come, given that I have the ace, I really don't believe he got there. It didn't add up to me unless he played Q-9 of clubs but I had the conscious thought in the moment that I did not include that in his range pre-flop so can't reinsert it now. (That's the right way to think about it, right? Ranges only get smaller? Is there room to insert a hand into range if you think you made a mistake on the initial range, although I do not think I did, just curious).

How would you all proceed in this situation? And any comments about how I get to the river, from the 3-bet, C-bet and decision to check back, are greatly appreciated. Hope everyone has a great week.

Comments

• jeffncjeffnc Red Chipper Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Turn is a 8h. Villian checks. I decide to check back with the following thought process:

2. Betting $175, not even 2/3 pot is not going to push this guy off a flush draw based upon how I have seen him play. About an hour prior he chased a flush draw to the river with 10-3 of hearts, so not even the nut flush draw, which I know he does not have because I have the Ace of clubs.

River card comes 10 of clubs, so I have filled my straight but any club draw has gotten there. Villain leads out for $30 into the $305 pot. The underbet struck me as odd. Perhaps he thinks I have nothing and is trying to get any money on his flush which just filled but realistically I cannot figure out how he makes a flush there.

Read that excerpt back and see if it makes any sense to you :)

Preflop seems fine. I don't really like the flop c-bet because I don't see that it accomplishes much. I would probably consider either open shoving or checking back.

As played the river bet is weird, but you see this sometimes. Personally I usually just call because often enough it's either a lame bluff which won't call a raise or a flush. Could be other things obviously. But I don't think you want to shove into it and you sure don't want to fold if you get raised.

• RedRed Red Chipper Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭✭
    Preflop is mandatory iso 3bet in this situation imho

Flop is really not a great flop to cbet. There are better combo to bluff with and better to c-bet for value. Also stack sizes make it awkward for next streets.

So played river is shove for value hoping he has QX (lower straight) or a sticky 99/JJ
  • Matthew FitzgeraldMatthew Fitzgerald Red Chipper Posts: 12 ✭✭
    The small raise pre makes me think possibly monster, but most likely it's just a weak hand he wants to play but doesnt want to limp with and look weak. Suited connectors and gappers, connectors and low pairs is what I'm thinking.
    I agree with the Cbet pre to iso
    Disagree with CBet on such a wet board when checked to. Check back and see a free card. You can then make your Cbet on the turn if villian checks again and a blank comes.
    River I would call. You beat all the silly bluffs and pairs and take down a 335$ pot but if you raise every flush cleans you out and most every other hand folds.
  • Jordan PowerJordan Power Red Chipper Posts: 512 ✭✭✭
    Great point, Matthew Fitzgerald. The raise doesn't actually get me any more money. It just gives him a chance to raise if he has the flush and gives him an easy fold if he doesn't have it. So if I raise, he shoves with a flush or folds without it, meaning I gain the same amount of money for just a call without risking a more (with a loss when I am called/raised by the flush.)

However, I still don't see how he gets there on the flush. But your point is well taken. I'm either beaten by a flush or I have the best hand and he's almost certainly going to fold.

I did raise him, however. And he folded. He claimed he had a set, but I don't believe him.
  • ScoutsEatTheirYoungScoutsEatTheirYoung Red Chipper Posts: 5 ✭✭
    Haven’t read replied yet, want to reply to this without other responses.

I usually see this as him flopping some large hand, trying to “slow play”, and looking for thin value on the river. Usually this is a jam, because I put his range preflop as 78s+, 66+. I think you can get a call from worse. Stick it in on the river. Is this an OMC type of player?
  • Jordan PowerJordan Power Red Chipper Posts: 512 ✭✭✭
    Haven’t read replied yet, want to reply to this without other responses.

I usually see this as him flopping some large hand, trying to “slow play”, and looking for thin value on the river. Usually this is a jam, because I put his range preflop as 78s+, 66+. I think you can get a call from worse. Stick it in on the river. Is this an OMC type of player?

Had to google OMC lol. Old Man Coffee? Hysterical. No this player seemed like a maniac at times. His range was extremely wide and he was very aggressive. That's why I was so confused by the small opening bet. I think his range is even wider than what you've suggested when he calls the 3 bet. Any pocket pair I think should be included.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file