Is this a snap shove?

StringBetStringBet AustraliaRed Chipper Posts: 3 ✭✭
Short background on me for context. Been playing about 4 months with strategy in mind (i.e. played with friends/new the rules prior). Been playing my local weekly pub tournament that is $100+$10 for a few months. Good tournament with a lot of solid regs. I feel like I've gone through a phase of blissfully reckless, to jealously protecting my tournament life, now trying to get brave in the right spots again.

Last nights situation:
Middle stages, about 25ish of 45 left.
Blinds 3k/1.5k.
I'm on the button with about 30k and pocket 3's.
CO calls.
Hero calls.
SB calls.
BB shoves ~20k.
CO folds.
Hero folds.
SB folds.
BB wins 32k pot.

What I know about the BB, she got short stacked and shoved three times prior in similar spots, got called once and had KK. I know she obviously isn't going to have that every time and in fact immediately as I folded I felt I really should have called.

My only question is, is this effectively a snap shove every time with average stacks pushing towards 80k at this point? I assume her range includes all pockets, Ax, any broadway, any suited J+ and more. I even if she'd proven to be fairly nitty to that point, should I ever be folding there in those circumstances?

Thanks and any tips on format and other key info is appreciated.

Comments

• LoveFishLoveFish IllinoisRed Chipper Posts: 100 ✭✭
    Never limp here! You had 10 big blinds left on the button with a pair. Automatic jam 100% of the time. Never limp!!!! The cut off is donating 3k to you by limping and he is unlikely to call in this situation. You are ahead most of the time in this spot. You are adding up to 25% to your stack pre flop with a jam. Think, do you really want to go multi way in a pot with pocket 33?? No, isolate the limper and jam. Remember in tournaments you have added fold equity because the pay outs are at the end so opponents will only call generally with top of their range.
  • EatRunPokerEatRunPoker NY, NYRed Chipper Posts: 91 ✭✭
    Google Push Fold Chart and memorize it. 33 is a snap shove on 10bb on the button.
  • kenaceskenaces Red Chipper Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭✭
    stop limping

Maybe I can change my screen name to "stoplimping" as that is all I have to say lately.
  • John ValentineJohn Valentine Red Chipper Posts: 49 ✭✭
    Definitely shove here. 10bb left and you will find yourself all in with any A, K, Q, J x crap. 33 is not a great hand, but with 10bb left it is always a shove.
  • MnpokerMnpoker Red Chipper Posts: 102 ✭✭
    Kenaces is right, don’t limp. I made a huge change to my game about 3 years ago. I went from 90% limp-10 raise to 80% raise/reraise -20% limp when entering a pot. By doing this my win rate went up huge and my cash rate more then doubled. And almost as significant I am getting to final tables with playable stacks instead of sneaking in and getting a min cash
  • MistaCrowleyMistaCrowley Red Chipper Posts: 26 ✭✭
    I agree with everyone else, you must raise strong with this hand, but you also should strongly consider to fold to the all in. If you raise she then has to make a much harder decision about shoving depending on your table persona given you are at the button. Choosing to risk 67% of your stack on what in best case is likely a 50/50 is much harder than the options you give yourself to win the hand by representing strength, you can continue to rep strength on a strong flop or timidly play a weak flop that hits you hard to maximize value.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file