Active 1-3 Table and Odd Villain Play

In The DarkIn The Dark Red Chipper Posts: 242 ✭✭✭
edited June 2015 in Live Poker Hands
3:30 am and the full (10) table is very active. Tilted play caroms around from one to another player.

6 way L to me in SB :Ad:Kd ($315). I call. I can defend this if you want to hear it but I will do this in crazy games. BB raises to 10?! ($190) ONLY 3 players call and it's back to me. I raise to 100. MP is the only caller and he gets it in pretty quick. He's a regular that wins and he thinks he knows my game but ... usually he gets to see me short stacking with $100 and I shove more than call. He has 155 (255-100) behind. I feel more or less committed even before the flop.

Flop (250) = :9d:4h:2c - I push. He snap calls w/64o. WTF?

How does he expect to profit from his call PF? Even if he had a 100% tell on me he can't turn a profit here, can he?

Let's say my hand is face up after his PF call and I push blind. I still think this is -EV for him. He could fold all :A? and :K? flops but he's calling everything else.

The actual analysis is beyond me but it's not that important because my hand isn't FACE UP. It's a range no matter what he thinks about my short stack game. AQ^ 77-JJ is likely (yes, I might limp with JJ)

Comments

• SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 4,082 -
    Postflop is fine, since it's a nothing SPR

But I'd love to hear your thoughts on why you just completed with AK in this game...
    📑 Grab my custom poker spreadsheet pack right now.
    📘 Start the Preflop & Math Poker Workbook today.
  • In The DarkIn The Dark Red Chipper Posts: 242 ✭✭✭
    Why limp AKs in SB?

Easy. I can get it in post flop in this game if I flop a hand worthy of commitment. It's that live. A raise to 20 or 30 gets me some unknown SPR and poor position. A raise to 40 or 50 might get a HU flop but not guaranteed.

I have better control for a $2 call here. I don't want a one pair hand OOP.
  • Doug HullDoug Hull RCP Coach Posts: 1,876 -
    Here is a full article about the math of this hand.

TLDR: Once he gets to the flop, he usually profits $60. He spent $60 to get there, so it is only a partial rebate. You money is made pre-flop. He just happened to hit one of his "rebate flops".
    Co-founder Red Chip Poker,
    Author Poker Plays You Can Use
    Author Poker Workbook for Math Geeks
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Raise reps nothing, obviously, call from any pair is inevitable. It's only frustrating because his holding is weak.
  • In The DarkIn The Dark Red Chipper Posts: 242 ✭✭✭
    by persuadeo on June 7th, 2015
    Raise reps nothing, obviously, call from any pair is inevitable. It's only frustrating because his holding is weak.

I'm not frustrated by this. I'll play against this fellow many times in the future and expect to profit from his error. And now I'm 100% convinced it's an error. I can exploit him by peddling him the nuts with a big overbet.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file