Flopped Straight: How Should I Proceed Here?

Jordan PowerJordan Power Red Chipper Posts: 510 ✭✭✭
I meant to post this yesterday but I had another fun hand from my session that I wanted to post. I've never been in a situation like this in my brief time playing poker and not sure how I should have handled.

I'm play $1/$3 at MGM National Harbor outside D.C. I was dealt 7c3d in the Big Blind. 5 players limped, SB completed. I had a brief thought of raising to $20 and trying to steal the blinds but the table was playing so loose I quickly walked that thought back and just saw the flop.

Flop comes out 4 - 5 - 6 rainbow. Dream flop. SB checks. I check. No need to bet here, right? Holding isn't really vulnerable and I am hoping someone will bet out into it.

Well that's exactly what happens. MP bets $15 (the pot). The cutoff raises to $40. Button folds. SB folds.

Stack sizes:
Hero: $281
MP: $190
Cutoff: $700

What should I do here? Is this just a call, hoping to build a pot? It's not a vulnerable holding, right? Why raise? We'd be talking runner to make a flush, board would have to pair for a boat...

But if someone has raised that board, I feel like they've got two pair, maybe slowplayed a set. And I would like to get my money in...

Comments

• austi003austi003 Red Chipper Posts: 11 ✭✭
    You could very easily be up against a two pair hand (56s), a set (4's, 5's, or 6's), or a better straight (78s most likely, unless you believe one of the two plays any two).

In an un-raised pot with 5 players, you have to give credit for a lot more being out there. Neither of those players were in a spot at the table where they would limp a big hand (AA, KK, AK, QQ) pre hoping someone else would do the raising, so this flop does hit their potential ranges somewhat.

I'm not saying you have to be completely scared, but I don't think I'd be comfortable jamming here and not expecting to see someone turn over a better straight. I wouldn't be surprised if MP bet out with an A6, 67, 56, maybe an 89 gutter and then the Cutoff is trying to either build the pot with a 78 or protect a set. I'm not sure it would make sense for the cutoff to raise the straight here, especially on a rainbow flop, but I feel like I would call the bet for now and see what comes on the turn.
  • Jordan PowerJordan Power Red Chipper Posts: 510 ✭✭✭
    austi003 wrote: »
    You could very easily be up against a two pair hand (56s), a set (4's, 5's, or 6's), or a better straight (78s most likely, unless you believe one of the two plays any two).

In an un-raised pot with 5 players, you have to give credit for a lot more being out there. Neither of those players were in a spot at the table where they would limp a big hand (AA, KK, AK, QQ) pre hoping someone else would do the raising, so this flop does hit their potential ranges somewhat.

I'm not saying you have to be completely scared, but I don't think I'd be comfortable jamming here and not expecting to see someone turn over a better straight. I wouldn't be surprised if MP bet out with an A6, 67, 56, maybe an 89 gutter and then the Cutoff is trying to either build the pot with a 78 or protect a set. I'm not sure it would make sense for the cutoff to raise the straight here, especially on a rainbow flop, but I feel like I would call the bet for now and see what comes on the turn.

Interesting. I hadn't really considered how many different ways someone could get to a better straight than me. In the moment, I didn't think it was a vulnerable holding. But I sort of see what you're saying. So do you just call the raise then? Or do you think there's value in a re-raise? Probably not, right? I want the initial bettor coming along, probably.
  • austi003austi003 Red Chipper Posts: 11 ✭✭
    I'd be curious what some other opinions are @Jordan Power. I think I would tend to call and see what develops. If MP folds, I'm probably still check calling the turn depending on what comes and the size of the bet. I'm not convinced I'm beat at this point, I'm just saying don't be overconfident either because you could easily have the worse straight.
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 2,704 -
    I think a useful exercise here is to explicitly range your opponents, look at the combinations they'll play this way and potentially stack off with, and look at your equity. I think it's correct to assume you're trying to gets stacks in here, but if your opponents play all 87 or just 87s is somewhat pertinent here.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • jfarrow13jfarrow13 Red Chipper Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭✭
    Just call. While you have a very strong hand here, might potentially fold out your action from worse and only get action from better, and there is still tons of room to get stacks in here. If you just flat, the pot will be $100~, with MP to still act. If he ships it in, as does CO, I'll see you on the river. Like GameCat said, this becomes a big deal if they will play 87o vs 87ss, so do that math. That being said, if everyone just calls, pot is like $135 on the turn, with MP have $150 and you having $240. That seems like great time to get $ in. This will again, come down to you doing some work off the table. Think about what cards are good and bad for you, and think about ranges. If CO is gonna raise this with 88 or 99, and then just take his free river, or MP is gonna call the raise with 2-pair or a set and then just try to boat up on the river, expect the action to get checked through. This will then, call for the rare turn donk lead. If you think that they will bet again, check with the intent to stack off. Ask yourself the questions "what hands will MP, but most likely CO, bet again and on what turns?". Then, the way forward might become clear. BUT, I think 3-betting the flop is a mistake, as unless your really gonna balance out your TP + 4 liner draws with a jam with your nutted hands like 87 and 73, your gonna have a ton of calls, and very few raises.
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While your line is fine, you should consider a more deliberate strategy, such as betting boards that favor you. This will inject logic and ease of implementation into your game.

As you can see both from what happened in your hand and poster comments, when you check boards that favor you and then overcall or even raise mw significant action, your range is trending narrow. This has to be the case, as you have depressed your range by offering a bet of zero yet now want to felt, wheras when you lay a direct price on the board by betting your continuance range is still or should be fairly wide.
  • John ValentineJohn Valentine Red Chipper Posts: 49 ✭✭
    Reraise to 100. If someone has 78 than yes your in trouble. However, v may have limped with A7s and wants to see what comes. Make him pay to do so. And yes A7s can be held by v here. I've seen worst holdings get a one outer and win when a bet on the flop or 4th street would have made them fold.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file