Tough River

messi367messi367 Red Chipper Posts: 8 ✭✭
7 handed at a small cardroom playing 1/2.

I have about $250 in my stack.
Have :9c :8c I raise in cutoff to $8 and get a few callers.
I believe one is UTG and two in early and middle position.
Flop comes :Ac :4d :7c .
I bet about 1/3 pot and get one caller UTG, he has a larger stack than me by about $100.
(He is an aggressive player that I saw raise to $16 with K5o.
The turn comes a :9s and he leads out for about 2/3 pot for $45.
I call with the pair and flush draw, also I think he is weak and just trying to bet me out.
River comes a :5s and he bets $100 which is about 2/3 pot.
I think for a little while and call because he is an aggressive player, and I think it is really close if he is bluffing or not and I am not getting terrible odds.
I am getting like 2.5 to 1.

He shows me 34o for a straight...I was a little shook after he showed me those cards haha.
I was right on the turn but the river was a tricky spot.
Could I have found a fold on the river? Should I have raised all in on the turn?
Was my preflop raise too small? Do you raise that small in 1/2 live?

Let me know people,
thanks

Comments

• persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    You can call with stronger hands and control your frequencies this way.
  • jfarrow13jfarrow13 Red Chipper Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭✭
    1. I prefer a larger size if your gonna open this hand, which I think you should, isolation is easier to play, and picking up blinds with 98s is never a bad thing.
    2. 4 ways, I think c-betting is fine or checking is fine. More cards to come can only help you, and I think you have better hands that are FD's that block stronger Ax hands. This hand just doesn't love to be raised, and while tons of turns can help you "turning an open ender, gutter, finishing you flush ect", I don't really mind a c-bet.
    3. This is fishy. Perhaps a turned A9o or 97 2 pair. If he had a really strong hand, why not just C/r on the flop. I'm discounting sets, unless he turned a the case set with 99, but really unlikely. I'm also discounting strong Ax hands. This is perhaps a weak A, or some stupid SD that wants a cheap river. If your really feeling frisky, ship it here. Otherwise just call to try to improve on the river.
    4. This is a fold imo. You have better call down hands. You block some of his dumb FD bluffs and SD bluffs. Even if he was bluffing with A10, you lose. Let it go.
  • moishetreatsmoishetreats Red Chipper Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭
    If you're going to call the $100 on the river (not that I'm suggesting that you should, but rather if), then I think that you should strongly consider raising the turn by $100 (or, depending on the exact stack sizes, shoving). You're basically prepared to put it in anyway, so you might as well retain some fold equity -- especially if you believe that V is weak when he leads out on the turn.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file