I think I made the proper decision, but curious on input

MistaCrowleyMistaCrowley Red Chipper Posts: 26 ✭✭
edited September 2018 in Tournament Poker Hands
Deep into a tournament (in the money 2 tables remain out of ~600). I'm in the BB sitting on roughly 1.1m blinds are 10k 20k +20k ante. I have :Jd:Td . middle position raises to 45k with roughly 1m behind, wildcard on his left (with roughly 1m as well) calls 45k. I call 25k.

Flop comes :Kd:Qh:7d

I lead out a bet of 125k

Original raiser shoves

Guy on his left folds.

Decision time for me....
Ultimately I fold because why risk my entire stack on a draw when I'm confident my opponent has a made hand, and when thinking of ranges for this player I also feel there is a strong possibility he has a re-draw that negates both of my draws thusly elimating some of my outs. but the gambler in me didnt want to let it go. I was tired and what I think many times would be an easier fold led to me feeling I had a tough decision. For some reason, this is the hand haunting me now.

Comments

• NinjahNinjah Red Chipper Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭✭
    You're focusing on the wrong part of the hand. Why did you elect to lead into the original raiser's range advantage when you block so many of his bluffs?
  • MistaCrowleyMistaCrowley Red Chipper Posts: 26 ✭✭
    That's a great question. I had just been reseated at the table with him, but had played with him earlier and prior experience had led me to believe he was a weaker player more susceptible to being raised post flop and folding a higher percentage of hands than he should be under pressure. His relatively weak raise preflop, led me to think his hands weren't as strong and could easily be talked out of a strong hand like AK, AQ, AJ. didn't figure him for pocket pair with that weak of a preflop raise. I think my lead raise is one thing I am questioning in hindsight just as you mention, but I wasn't expecting the raise, I was expecting at worst a call and his move all in really caught me off guard and I knew where he stood at that point based on his prior play he was strong with 2p or a set. (turned out to be a set of Qs)
  • MnpokerMnpoker Red Chipper Posts: 166 ✭✭
    How did you finish?
  • Baby_SharkBaby_Shark Red Chipper Posts: 74 ✭✭
    1. Agree with @Ninjah, don't lead into him in that spot.
    2. Why do you think his sizing indicates weakness? Most tournament players will size pf irrespective of hand strength, about 2.0-2.5x you need to look at his frequency for opening from that position (or a rough guess) to identify how wide his range is there.
    3. When you're 50bb deep and in the money, you don't want to bust out with a 20%-55% equity holding. Folding sucks, and if it were a cash game you could call, but it feels like ICM compels a fold here.
  • MistaCrowleyMistaCrowley Red Chipper Posts: 26 ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    @Mnpoker 15th out of ~600 I think. it was a higher stakes main event style tournament. @Baby_Shark I think you said it right, I've always been more of a cash game player and tournaments have been a newer evolution for me. In a few instances I ran into situations like this in the tournament and it was easier to fold earlier on, however being that deep in the money I don't know if my thought process was changing due to how deep we were or if it was because this happened on day 2 about 10 hours in and it was the next day after a 14 hr day 1 and my mind was begining to fade, which ultimately led to my downfall. I would have made the final table easily if I hadn't made a few really stupid mistakes within 2 hours of this hand that ultimately led to my finishing 15th instead of making day 3 final table. The two mistakes I later made may have cost me over 100,000$ and I can easily reflect back on those 2 mistakes and say yes, those 2 were obvious mistakes.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file