Proper Mindset

Robert_AshlineRobert_Ashline Birmingham, AlabamaRed Chipper Posts: 6 ✭✭
I just got done listening to one of the Red Chip Podcasts and it was “The Mindset of a Winning Tournament Player” episode. This episode was very informative for me because I see the connection of balancing everything in your life to be on your A-game. I try to keep a good balance between my health, work, school, poker, and social life. However, I’ve noticed that when I’m playing online poker ($5 NL) I sometimes lose focus and make snap decisions that I know I should have put more thought into. I heard Dan Heskett say that lyrical music is terrible for poker, so I will cut that out while I play. What are some other suggestions that you guys might have so that I can slow down and improve my mental focus?

Comments

• kenaceskenaces Red Chipper Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭✭
    How many tables do you play? If it is more than 3-4 play less tables.

I like brain.FM while grinding
  • Robert_AshlineRobert_Ashline Birmingham, AlabamaRed Chipper Posts: 6 ✭✭
    kenaces wrote: »
    How many tables do you play? If it is more than 3-4 play less tables.

I like brain.FM while grinding

I play two tables at $5 NL because I’m still working out my fundamentals. Once I have a solid grasp on the math of EV and ranges, I want to move to three and then four tables. Overall I do well at two tables, but there are times where I’ll impulsively call a bet only to realize that it was the wrong move and that I should’ve slowed down and thought about it.

• TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 2,388 -
    I had a student with this issue. We solved it by having him have a resting position with his arms crossed instead of one hand permanently on the mouse.
    Moderation In Moderation
    TheGameKat wrote: »
    I had a student with this issue. We solved it by having him have a resting position with his arms crossed instead of one hand permanently on the mouse.

That’s a good idea, because I sit back and keep my hand on the mouse. The extra motion of placing my hand on the mouse could be the extra time I need to slow down and make sure that I’m confident in my choice. I played a couple hours last night with classical music and found that it helped my thought process substantially as well.
  • jeffncjeffnc Red Chipper Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably meditation, which is practicing not getting distracted.
  • SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 4,032 -
    1. Manually type in every bet size.
    2. Speak all of your decisions out loud with a 1-2 sentence explanation as to why.

These force you to slow down and give extra time to think. Also, your brain processes your line twice: once when you think up the line, and the second when it hears you speak your logic out loud. This gives you more chances to spot errors BEFORE making your play =)
    I appreciate everyone’s answers. I plan on playing today so I will definitely adjust my pregame routine and speak my decisions so I can slow down and avoid impulse calling. Thank you all for the great advice!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file