Flopped Set and Facing Aggression

Jordan PowerJordan Power Red Chipper Posts: 429 ✭✭✭
Hi all, was looking at some old hands on my lunch break today and was considering some alternative scenarios to how I played the hand. Want to see what everyone else thinks.

$1/$3 MGM National Harbor, Saturday night, think this hand was about 3 hours into my session. (I am coming off a cooler 20 min before where I flopped a boat, got all my money in and lost to a straight flush. I had stepped away from table, took a break, and after reassessing whether I could competently play, sat back down. So I have just rebought back in for $400 and have $396 in my stack after blinding away $4).

So I was dealt QhQc in the hijack. UTG+1 who seems to be a really tight player opens to $13. No callers around to me and I raise to $45. Everyone folds back to Villain who goes into a weirdly long tank and calls. He has me covered, I think about $600 in his stack.

Flop comes out Ac 2h Qd.

Villain bets $65 into the $94 pot. In this spot, I am thinking villain has some strong Ax holding. He has not been c-betting at all without catching a solid piece of the flop. A few hands prior to my cooler, he raised with A10 on the button and checked through a board of A-5-9 rainbow.

So, reasonably, and I'll just write what I wrote right after the hand about what I thought his range was for him to bet more than 1/2 pot (the only sizing he was using), "V probably only bets with AK, AQ, a set of 2s, and maybe AJ. But does he call that 3B with 2-2? Nah. idk"

So I was pretty comfortable that I was way ahead and did not feel I had a vulnerable holding. I had taken AA out of his range once he didn't 4-bet me pre-flop. Maybe that's wrong because I viewed him as tight, but he would get aggressive with strong hands and he had 4-bet shoved earlier in session (although everyone folded). I also think with top set he would have checked to me on a rainbow board. Idk, I wasn't worried about a better set at this point.

So how do I maximize value here? Do I just call? Should I raise here? If so, how much? Min raise? My personal thought is that calling was the play on the flop although I won't say what I did.

Comments

• NinjahNinjah Red Chipper Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭✭
    Being that he only has 3 combos that beat you and everything else he holds is crushed, what do you believe the best play would be?
  • jfarrow13jfarrow13 Red Chipper Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭✭
    Call, and then 2/3rd him to death? Now, I know it superrrrrrrr tight, but if at some point, he jams on you, especially on the river....he's got AA. And I'm still gonna pay him to see the set of aces, because you know, sometimes I assume things and I'm wrong, and I think folding 2nd set here is a crime, even if there contain minimal bluffs, I've made "super sick hero folds" only to be shown that I was in fact, very wrong, and that if you think he's like to 4-bet AA, and sure sometimes he flats, and guess what if he flops set over set here your gonna get stacked. Otherwise, your gonna value him to death here his AK/AQ's, which, will make up for the times he stacks you with the super rare set over set here.
  • RedRed Red Chipper Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭✭
    Observing previous donkbet pattern helps a lot in such situations
  • Nathan SNathan S Red Chipper Posts: 275 ✭✭
    C/C/RAI. If you were OOP you'd have to play it a bit different, but at this rate it seems like he's going three streets. So call, call, and jam river when he bets. If he checks turn i would probably size up.
  • Martin DMartin D Red Chipper Posts: 79 ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    If your lowstakes regs are like many of my lowstakes regs he has AKo here most of the time. The long tank was him deciding whether to widen his 4bj range past premium PPs, based on his prior interactions with you, his horoscope and how often he can afford to reload.

AQ is in there but heavily blocked, a pocket pair or Qx he wants to find out where he is at, probably not KJ or KT. Probably also some generic shit I don't really care about because I won't get value from it.

Maybe 1 time in 500 he has AA, and on most of those occasions you have Jack and he doesn't get paid. Also, if that happened he's slowplayed once already, seems far more likely to XR AA or even wait until the turn.

Overall I think I like calling one and looking to gii on any turn. Your SPR is what, 3.5 otf? Most stuff is playing the same way regardless but you might get an extra bet out of something betting for information. It's not like there's a draw on the table.

And remember to say "Ace King never wins" when dragging the pot ;)
  • Jordan PowerJordan Power Red Chipper Posts: 429 ✭✭✭
    Martin D wrote: »

And remember to say "Ace King never wins" when dragging the pot ;)

Oh so you were watching my session, huh?! ;)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file