Pocket 5s on the bubble

Stomper13Stomper13 Red Chipper Posts: 65 ✭✭
Ok here's another hand for some input.
Online tourney 99 places pay and 102 left. Also note I had just lost 120k on a hand of pocket aces to J10s I had the aces lol
Any way here is the hand.
Blinds are 900/1800 with a 225 ante
Fold to hero who raises to 3.6k with :5s :5c
SB has 10k and folds
BB has 53k and calls
Pot=9.9k
Flop comes :Js :2s :7d
BB bets pot 9.9k
What do you do in this spot.

Note that BB has been calling and shoving extremely light since we went hand for hand.
And I don't use a HUD online I play mostly to get hand in to study for live and just practice what I've been learning.
Tagged:

Comments

• Stomper13Stomper13 Red Chipper Posts: 65 ✭✭
    Forgot to add we had 19k starting
  • LeChiffreLeChiffre NetherlandsRed Chipper Posts: 197 ✭✭
    Your position?
  • LeChiffreLeChiffre NetherlandsRed Chipper Posts: 197 ✭✭
    With 10bb I think it's a shove pre but I'm not too sure if that's a good strategy on the bubble.
  • OrigamiHeroOrigamiHero Red Chipper Posts: 2 ✭✭
    A tactic commonly used when close to the bubble is stalling (while not using up all of the time bank) and if you were going to go all in, bet around 18,500 so that you have a few more seconds to tank if you would get reshoved on. It's not an "honorable" tactic i guess, but it is generally accepted and will net you a few more min cashes.

In this hand i assume from the description that Hero is on the button. Generally you don't want to minraise any hand with that shallow of a stack unless you have a hand you are comfortable being reraised allin with, i.e. as a trap. We have almost no room for options once we hit post flop, so almost all hands work better as an allin. I'm guessing you did this on the bubble to be able to fold if shoved on?

Normally this would be a standard allin push preflop, but on the bubble it is perfectly fine folding. We could still go allin here if we percieve the blinds to be rather tight, and although on average it will certainly win us chips in the long run, we would be losing $ instead.

As played, when BB leads into us on the flop, we can't do much else but fold. We might be ahead, but if we are it's by a hair, and reraising allin has very little fold equity unless villain leads absolute air.
    LeChiffre wrote: »
    Your position?

Button

. I'm guessing you did this on the bubble to be able to fold if shoved

As played, when BB leads into us on the flop, we can't do much else but fold. We might be ahead, but if we are it's by a hair, and reraising allin has very little fold equity unless villain leads absolute air.

Yes that is correct I only raised 2x so I could fold to a shove however I think that was the first thing I did wrong I gave the BB way to good of a price to call with a wide range of hands that hit this flop.
    And after going over it in my head as played I should be folding the flop for the reasons you stated above and also because I gave him such a good price he can have a lot of 7x hand or Jx hands along with any PP. And when he leads for a pot sized bet on the flop I think he hit some part of the flop and I don't have enough equity to call. However I didn't fold I shoved lol.
  • MnpokerMnpoker Red Chipper Posts: 66 ✭✭
    Is your goal to cash or to win? Both are ok but would change how you play the hand. Playing to cash fold pre and for sure fold the flop. Playing to win shove pre the bubble is a chance to pick up chips and it is a position shove and your card don’t really matter. Given that BB has 30 BB it puts you in a rough spot but since is 2 to your left you will have to take him on sooner rather than later and a pair even a small pair is a decent spot and wil will usually be roughly 52-48 unless they have a bigger pair

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file