New AK Poker Book

SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 3,928 -
edited November 7 in Coaching & Products
Hey y'all,

I would like to be the first to introduce Optimizing Ace King (OAK)! Adam Jones and I co-wrote this book to take the most in-depth look at playing AK. Since you play AK in 99.9% of situations, and since it should be one of your top earning hands - it only made sense to fully explore the hole cards that create so much confusion among players.

z11tr5myp6g0.png

OAK comes in every popular format..just choose the one that is right for you: (You can also get the ebook+audiobook+extra training by picking up the ROYAL edition here: https://redchippoker.com/aceking)

3awmiber8yj3.jpg

OAK explores AK through a few different paths:
  • How does AK hit vs. miss?
  • How should we prioritize learning (through the lens of AK)?
  • How should you play AK preflop? This includes flatting vs. 3betting, 3bet/4bet wars, and where AKs and AKo start to differ...
  • How should you play AK when it hits flops?
  • How should you play AK when it misses the flop? This includes missing in 3bet pots as well!
  • How should you play gutshots with AK?
  • How should you play turns & rivers, both when you improve AND when you continue missing?

And to tie everything together, we even dedicated an entire chapter to reviewing a variety of AK hands.

If you look down at Ace King and feel incredibly confident with your lines in single-raised pots AND 3bet pots, both preflop and postflop, skip this book. But if you ever feel uneasy with AK, even just a little, pick up your copy of OAK and start seeing the plan with this hand more clearly!

If you have any questions about OAK, feel free to leave a comment and I'd be happy to help you out ♥
My new book lays out the playbook for AK. Grab your copy and start Optimizing Ace King!

Comments

• persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Consider publishing a selection or chapter from it, as you do with other rc products. I'd like to see how the level of granularity and the connection to the big picture is presented.
  • boyd148boyd148 Red Chipper Posts: 88 ✭✭
    The " Look Inside" feature is enabled at the Kindle Store. I have purchased the book and it is well edited and the charts , graphs, text are clear and very usable, unlike the Kindle edition of the last book. Also, the content is awesome, of course.
    @SplitSuit There seems to be a discontinuity between Kindle edition page 125 and 126. What's missing here?
    The conversation on page 125 is about raising TPTK on the flop but page 126 begins with "These are not the only scenarios where we would seriously consider folding our TPTK."
  • SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 3,928 -
    edited October 16
    persuadeo wrote: »
    Consider publishing a selection or chapter from it, as you do with other rc products. I'd like to see how the level of granularity and the connection to the big picture is presented.

For sure! The podcast episode coming out on 10/16/2018 will be a complete chapter from the audiobook.

And this is a snippet from the "When AK Misses The Flop" chapter: https://www.splitsuit.com/how-to-play-ak-when-it-misses
    My new book lays out the playbook for AK. Grab your copy and start Optimizing Ace King!
    boyd148 wrote: »
    The " Look Inside" feature is enabled at the Kindle Store. I have purchased the book and it is well edited and the charts , graphs, text are clear and very usable, unlike the Kindle edition of the last book. Also, the content is awesome, of course.

Thanks Boyd!
    boyd148 wrote: »
    The conversation on page 125 is about raising TPTK on the flop but page 126 begins with "These are not the only scenarios where we would seriously consider folding our TPTK."

I get where the confusion is here. Essentially, the conversation flips quickly from discussing what happens when V calls your flop raise - to what happens when V 3bets your flop raise - and then back to a general convo of playing as the preflop caller. I'll add that to my list of things to recheck and possibly clarify when I do my next editing sweep =)
  • MnpokerMnpoker Red Chipper Posts: 76 ✭✭
    Do you address tournament play or just cash?
    Mnpoker wrote: »
    Do you address tournament play or just cash?

There is a full chapter about tournament-specific concepts, but the overarching concepts in the book apply to both.
  • OdB_BlackBaronOdB_BlackBaron Red Chipper Posts: 8 ✭✭
    Hey @SplitSuit and @w34z3l

Some of the players i chat with on a everyday basis had some pretty big interrogation about some examples in the book.

One that comes to mind is this one:
    47k0tul8d93s.png

I was pointed to this video regarding this example.

I would like to have your commentary about it.

Thanks.
    Sure. My commentary would boil down to this:

1. Alvin didn't even buy the book (notice that they just stripped an example image from the sales page), so he didn't even get a chance to read the text surrounding this hand...which actually goes on to show the SAME GTO solver output that he ran.
    2. Ironically, his big issue with the quote on the screen about "cbetting 100% of the time is problematic" is actually an agreed upon point given the PIO output.
    3. You can't change a range mid example, while keeping the flop static, and then try to compare the EV across the board when certain boards favor polarized ranges, and others favor depolarized ranges.

There are other factors, but I think those 3 make the bigger point =)
  • Adam WheelerAdam Wheeler Red Chipper Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 7
    James, the third point is most likely wrong. The cost of EV loss using a depoled strategy on flop with small sizes will never be so great that you should absolutely uses a polarized strategy. I ran multiple flops subset database with GTO+ using the 184 flops PIO subset, and in very rare case a polarized strategy will be better. Those flops are rare within the whole game. Plus, polarized strategy are a lot harder to execute and memorize where a depoled strategy is just simply...well, simpler. Also, players, as today, are nowhere close to replicate a defence strategy versus a depoled 1/3 for example, where they should be a lot closer to what is a correct responses versus larger bets and polarized strategy. Versus a polarized strategy with bigger bets, player will most likely x/r closer to what is optimal and fold closer to what is optimal where they will surely not x/r enough versus a 1/3 depoled strategy and surely fold too much.

At his core, a strategy, EV speaking, will always benefits more when you introduces a mixes of bet sizes with small and bigger bets but the benefits overall will not drastically change the EV outcome to the point of strictly uses a polarized strategy with big bets. You will surely always stay within a 0.97% of the optimal EV when using a depoled strategy on a solid(which represents the whole game) flops subset database.
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 1,251 -
    One additional point. The maker of that video has exhibited a bizarre antipathy to RCP for several months, along with anti-social behavior in these forums that resulted in him getting banned. While his criticisms should be judged on merit, I would suggest he has an agenda.
    Moderation In Moderation

Are we working to optimize, or just looking to simplify? Sure, we can easily just depole all of our 3/4/5bet ranges preflop and enjoy the extra EV bump and "easier" postflop decisions...but that comes at the cost of board coverage, an easier to read preflop calling range, etc. Plus, that goes against the ethos of overarching text since the goal is not just to give watered down lines and ranges to memorize...

On a related note, this is also why it's totally unreasonable to take a PART of a subsection of a PART of a chapter of a PART of a book and extrapolate it to represent the entire book. The main counters - including one vs. multiple sizing strategies and simple vs. complex mixes - are discussed on the very next page.

Hopefully that clears up my position, and this is my last post on the matter. If we still disagree at this point, I'm happy to agree to disagree =)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file