How bad was this play?

Daniel JDaniel J Red Chipper Posts: 11 ✭✭
It's 2/5 live and the table just opened up. The first orbit just finished and there is a straddle and the UTG+1 called and I raised from UTG+2 with JcJs. It folds around to UTG+1 and he reraises to 110. I am the effective stack size with $500 and I call. There is 232 in the pot taking into the account the rake. Villain is a good player who occasionally plays 5/10, plays tight but definitely can be aggressive and can make the occasional play.

The board is Ad9c6h and he checks.

Although the A is great for his range I figure I could get the last combo of JJ, QQ, and KK to fold to a flop and turn bet.
Since this was a three bet pot I bet smaller. I bet 75 into the 232 pot expecting a call. I figure I can fire again on most turns. He calls.

The turn is the 9d.

Sticking with my plan, I bet 100 leaving almost 200 behind in an attempt to look like I'm going all in on the river. He thinks for a little and then puts me all in. I pretend to think about it for a bit, I'm definitely done with this hand since there is absolutely nothing that I am beating at this point and fold.

My questions:
Should I have just checked back the flop?
If I am going to bet the flop, how much?
Should I fire again on the turn?
If so, how much?

Comments

• persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    4/5 crabcakes.
  • RCP Coach - Fausto ValdezRCP Coach - Fausto Valdez RCP Coach Posts: 859 ✭✭✭✭
    this was a very poor attempt of a bluff, you very rarely accomplish anything with your bet sizing. There was a clear lack of understanding as well on how committed the opponent will be to this pot going forward in the hand.

Assign a range to the opponent and given the board texture along with your player tendencies, learn what your range and hand is incentivised to do going forward. If you dont know you opponent, treat him as he is more on the value side until further notice.
    COACHING NOW AVAILABLE HERE
    MY COACHING REVIEWS HERE

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file