AJ vs Flop Shove

Robert PattonRobert Patton Red Chipper Posts: 16 ✭✭
Hey guys! Just finished up a tournament and I'm curious of everyone's opinion on this hand I played. I didn't have a ton of hands on this guy, but i had noticed he was playing extremely aggressive and cbetting a ton on the few hands prior to this one. His all in range was pretty wide too, he would shove pre with A4s and 77's, so I know his all in range is pretty wide.

Its was level 12 w/ blinds at 300/600, 60 ante

its a 3way pot

UTG+1 raises 1300, effective stack 23,886
Hero in Lowjack calls AJs, effective stack 18,524
BB calls, effective stack 5261

Flop is AJ10 rainbow, one spade, so i have 2 pair w/ a backdoor nut draw

BB checks
UTG+1 bets 1,800, into 4,680
Hero raises 5,040
BB folds
UTG+1 shoves
Hero calls

Was this too aggressive for me, after the fact I thought about how just calling and seeing what BB would've done, but I was hoping that I'd get BB to call with a weak A or maybe a smaller 2pair like J10. this hand was extremely low SPR so I knew I had to plan for an all in if BB shoved, and UTG had been cbetting every flop. He had also been calling shoves pretty loose pre flop, so I didn't give his shove range a lot of credit, I put him on a weak A there

would it have been a better idea you think to just call the cbet? was calling the flop shove a little too aggressive as well? would it have been an easy fold and I just overvalued my hand here? curious what others are thinking. I had about 30bb behind so I kinda knew most hands I would go to flops with I'd have to play aggressively

Comments

• AceFromSpaceKKAceFromSpaceKK Red Chipper Posts: 281 ✭✭✭
    I would just call to keep the BB in. Dry board and only a Q or K are scare cards for you. As played why would you ever consider folding this with SPR=4 with top 2pair? He can have AK, AQ, AT, AJ, AT, KQ, JT, maybe AA, JJ, TT. Against this range it's a call I guess
  • Robert PattonRobert Patton Red Chipper Posts: 16 ✭✭
    I would just call to keep the BB in. Dry board and only a Q or K are scare cards for you. As played why would you ever consider folding this with SPR=4 with top 2pair? He can have AK, AQ, AT, AJ, AT, KQ, JT, maybe AA, JJ, TT. Against this range it's a call I guess

Thanks for the input! After looking it over definitely a call there. I was mainly worried about getting drawn out on, multiway pots I'm still a little uncertain with sometimes.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file