Real questionable 88 play near bubble?

jfarrow13jfarrow13 Red Chipper Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭✭
6-max, 31 left, bubble at 27, hero with 26.9k, blinds 1600/800 with 150 ante. Hero dealt :8D: :8C: UTG, and flats, with the intent to shove over a 2 BB open. I have 16 BB's left. There are only 5 players at the table. I am the smallest stack at the table, with 72k being the next largest. I looked and saw the smallest stack in the tournament was 7k. UTG + 2 opens to 2 BB (80k), folds back to BB who flats...and hero jams. I felt that sure, maybe I could just sit around and pray for 4 more to get KO'd. The pay jumps from 27-13 were pretty much the same, basically 3.7x BI, and the money only really started to matter )7x BI) once you hit #10. I thought that since everyone was maybe tip-toeing around during the bubble, I could either A. try to flop a set for cheap, or B. have enough BB's to steal any open. Anyways, I ship it, and he tank calls with AQ, and gets there. Is this an awful play? Should I just open shove 88 here? Or do I try to bide my time a bit more? With the 5 seated players, I just felt I would get blinded down rather quick. I guess if you are a real short stack in a tournament, you should realize that it's time to try to min-cash? I just think about that Joe Cada 2009 WSOP win where he like...came back and won it all with like 4 BB's or something....NEVER GIVE IN TO THE MIN CASH...but sometimes...maybe you gotta just take it?

Comments

• TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 1,797 -
    I think the limp-reraise plan here is... well it's unusual, which doesn't mean it's bad, but honestly it wouldn't have occurred to me. It's useful to know in these spots what the other stacks at the table are. Despite what I said in the other thread about abusing the bubble, I think folding is defensible here with everyone left to act. You're at that awkward stack depth where you'd really like someone to open in front of you so you can 3-bet jam, which I guess explains the limp-shove.

If you play around with HRC in these spots you'll find it really isn't keen on jamming medium pairs and prefers a hand like K2s over 88.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • AceFromSpaceKKAceFromSpaceKK Red Chipper Posts: 273 ✭✭
    I think open shove is the play here.
  • MnpokerMnpoker Red Chipper Posts: 87 ✭✭
    Open shove is a much better play but in this case I am pretty sure that the AQ would have called. But not being results based the open shove it under 20 BB is the way to go

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file