Pocket Jacks with a burned Jack: How to proceed?

Jordan PowerJordan Power Red Chipper Posts: 394 ✭✭✭
Wanted to post a hand I played a few weeks back to see if other people have some thoughts on how to respond to what I know is a fringe situation but has happened to me twice recently.

Playing $1/$3, I was dealt JJ in MP and raised to $15. The gentleman to my left who was an extreme fit or folder who grumbled when ANYONE raised, got frustrated that "everyone keeps raising!" and threw his cards toward dealer, one of which hit dealers hand as he reached for it and flipped over, exposing the jack of hearts which became the first burn.

The rest of the hand isn't super important; I'm more interested in how that burn card changes the strategy in a few scenarios:

1. Facing a 3-bet, should we be folding at an increased rate? My instant reaction is that I should be folding to more 3-bets given I lost an out but at the same time, I still have a pocket pair with a chance (now just ~5%) to flop a great set.

2. If the exposed card happened BEFORE my raise, does that change the calculus for my pre flop raise bet sizing at all? Are there any lower pairs I should just toss away? I really don't want to pay $15 to play 2s knowing that I only have a 5% chance to make my set.

3. With one less out, how does this change how I c-bet?

I know this is a fringe situation but I was sort of at a loss for how to play these hands.

Comments

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file