Matt Damon and Johnny Chan Don't Understand SPR

Jordan PowerJordan Power Red Chipper Posts: 149 ✭✭
So I watched Rounders this weekend and in the scene where Mike is telling Knish about his run in with Johnny Chan, I realized that based on what Mike says, they're both awful poker players.

Mike sits down in a 300/600 game with 6k. He sits down with 10 BB. Ludicrous. Also certainly below the min buy in for the table I would think but that would just be a guess.

But more importantly, the action on the hand Mike describes has some massive flaws by both players.

As Mike describes it the action is all preflop and it goes as follows:

-Chan raises (ostensibly the blinds)
-Mike reraises
-Chan reraises Mike
-Mike reraises Chan
-Chan folds

Issue 1: Are these guys minraising?

Mike says he's been playing tight for an hour, mostly folding. Let's say he's dragged a small pot or two and make his stack 8k.

Based on the action, they have to be minraising for Mike to not be all-in with a 5-bet here.

So that's crazy enough and I would coach them both to turn up the aggression on their raises.

Issue 2: How does Chan lay this down?!

You're priced in at this point, buddy boy, V only has like 2 BB MAX in his stack, just get it in.

Issue 3: Johnny Chan asking Mike if he had it

Come on, you're a pro. Think about his range there. He's an unknown player betting into the world champion. You should have laid this down without QQ+ or AK after the 3-bet. Sure, Mike was bluffing, but if you're opening with something like 9T of spades here, Johnny, just let him have it. And if you're going to 4bet the short stack, just put him all in. Clearly he wants to play for stacks.

Because what's your postflop plan here if he doesn't re-raise? Check/fold the flop with an SPR of less than 1? Crazy!

Honestly, based on this I think Johnny Chan could really benefit from a CORE membership.

And I am also starting to think that Rounders may not be the best example of sound poker strategy…

(It occurred to me as I was writing this that maybe they were playing 300/600 LIMIT but still, you call there … JOHN.)

Comments

• Paul_KPaul_K DFWRed Chipper Posts: 233 ✭✭✭
    persuadeo wrote: »
    Wow, i suddenly feel like i can't trust Hollywood with my education anymore!

This is no joke...

5 full seasons of research and my whole meth production/distribution company still went belly-up!
  • Jordan PowerJordan Power Red Chipper Posts: 149 ✭✭
    Paul_K wrote: »

This is no joke...

5 full seasons of research and my whole meth production/distribution company still went belly-up!

You probably used a half measure when you shoulda used a full measure... ;)
  • Paul_KPaul_K DFWRed Chipper Posts: 233 ✭✭✭

You probably used a half measure when you shoulda used a full measure... ;)

You might think so...

But, as it turns out, convincing a DEA agent to marry my sister-in-law was not only incredibly difficult, it was also probably really unnecessary.
  • EazzyEazzy Red Chipper Posts: 902 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 24

So if I get really good, I don't get to play the Man and Ann Margret and Tuesday Weld are not going to show up as my poker groupies. I may have to rethink this poker thing.

Oh and I guess "Doing the wrong thing at the right time" is not what good poker all about.
  • Adam WheelerAdam Wheeler Red Chipper Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭✭
    What is Rounders?
  • Julio CoelhoJulio Coelho Red Chipper Posts: 6 ✭✭
    What is Rounders?

Hahahahaha, you joking, right?
  • LeChiffreLeChiffre NetherlandsRed Chipper Posts: 228 ✭✭
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 1,162 -
    What's really sad is the same guys wrote that miserable ESPN series "Tilt." (Think that was the name.)
    Moderation In Moderation
    TheGameKat wrote: »
    What's really sad is the same guys wrote that miserable ESPN series "Tilt." (Think that was the name.)

The pair of deuces, lookin' all shiny...
  • Dean MDean M Red Chipper Posts: 174 ✭✭✭

This is no joke...

Wrong shade of blue dude! Gotta get that right before you can really ramp up production.
  • EazzyEazzy Red Chipper Posts: 902 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 25

Thanks a lot.

I had to go check this out, and found that there's a 1979 movie tilt, with "Pinball Flipper Queen Brooke Shields". which I will of course have to watch. And I bet the Pinball action not even going to be accurate.

If anyone cares...both the ESPN series and the 1979 movie are available on Youtube
  • GGECKOGGECKO Washington, D.C.Red Chipper Posts: 109 ✭✭✭
    Dean M wrote: »

This is no joke...

Wrong shade of blue dude! Gotta get that right before you can really ramp up production.

I was taught how to cook meth three different methods by the EPA. True story.
  • Adam WheelerAdam Wheeler Red Chipper Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 25
    GGECKO wrote: »
    Dean M wrote: »

This is no joke...

I was taught how to cook meth three different methods by the EPA. True story.
    Where have you been @volcano !?
  • jeffncjeffnc Red Chipper Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Raise."

"But you didn't even look at your cards!"

"No, but I saw you look at yours."

I was so poker hungry at the time that I wanted more of this show.
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 1,162 -
    Oh I was looking forward to it for weeks, ESPN kept promoting it. About 4 episodes in I was sad.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • jeffncjeffnc Red Chipper Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 1
    It's not uncommon for someone to buy in for 10BB in a Limit game, especially if they're under rolled. Normally wouldn't be allowed in a NL game.
    It didn't occur to me until the end of the post they were playing limit. Shows my NL bias haha
  • WannabeFarhaWannabeFarha Red Chipper Posts: 21 ✭✭
    Just started watching tilt because of this. I now know everything I need to about poker. Rounders was the first 97%.
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you can overlook how bad Tilt was, it's pretty good.
  • SicSemperSicSemper Red Chipper Posts: 100 ✭✭
    Tilt was fun. Koppelman is a solid dude who puts in the work. I'll check out anything he and Levien do. Billions is a blast.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file