TPTK call on the river?

GiofromrioGiofromrio Red Chipper Posts: 21 ✭✭
Hey Team i just played this hand. NL 10 Fastforward without any reads.
What would you do and why?
Unfortunately i dont know how to post this hand with the cards shown as images, hope you can help me. Thanks guys really appreciate your thoughts on this, these are really the spots i have no idea what to to.

Full Tilt Poker - Hold'em Cash Games - $0.05/0.10 Blinds - 6 Players
Hand Converter by Pokerhand.org

DrummerFace (BTN): $10.81
AaahWhat (SB): $10.05
analsmasher99 (BB): $10.45
MUTYISZTIKUM (UTG): $10.70
WILLICONSALLY (UTG+1): $10
el_pereapo (CO): $51.11

Pre-flop: Dealt to AaahWhat Kd Ad
(1 folds), WILLICONSALLY raises to $.20, (2 folds), AaahWhat raises to $.65, (1 folds), WILLICONSALLY calls $.50

Flop: ($1.45) 4d 3h Ks (2 Players)
AaahWhat bets $.50, WILLICONSALLY calls $.50

Turn: ($2.45) 6d (2 Players)
AaahWhat bets $1.55, WILLICONSALLY calls $1.55

River: ($5.55) Qh (2 Players)
AaahWhat checks, WILLICONSALLY bets $4.52

Comments

• Jordan PowerJordan Power Red Chipper Posts: 513 ✭✭✭
    Without a read on opponent or information on his range, it makes it much harder to say but here are my thoughts.

Pre-flop I think you're okay here, I think the bet sizing is good. I would have bet a tad larger on the flop but I guess you don't want to give V the opportunity to lay down his weaker kings or over card if he came along with AJ, AT, AQ.

The river, I'm not sure I like the decision to check. I don't like passing the initiative to V and giving him the opportunity to bluff you when realistically, he can only have KQ or QQ to beat you. Why did you check the river?

If he has queens, in a three bet pot, when you fire two barrels, I would think V is laying those down there. I think it entirely credible if I am in V's shoes that I have second pair here on the first two streets and would be willing to lay it down.

It seems more likely to me holds KQ given that he came along for the first two streets. Maybe he spiked that second pair on the river. Really hard to tell without a read on V, but I think I'll lay this one down here.

Will be interested to hear the thoughts of others.
  • GiofromrioGiofromrio Red Chipper Posts: 21 ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Thanks for your thoughts. Yeah it is allways a problem with fastfold poker, if you dont have a huge sample size of hands,you have no idea who you are up against. With him calling twice,the dry flop and the potential flushdraw on the turn (which i block very hard),i also thought KQ was a big chunk of his range.
    On the flop i bet small to keep his calling range wide,exactly. But I tend to bet small in 3bet pots anyway.
    On the turn his calling range might have picked up a flushdraw,but since i block the nut and second nutflush draw,i dont see too many backdoor flush combos he could have floated with.
    So i decided to bet smallish again,to keep his weaker kings (KQ mainly) and weeker pockets,but also his weaker flushdraws in.
    The Q was really the #1 scarecard for me.
    So i checked to induce a bluff from his amittedly few flushdraws. I didnt see him calling again with a medium pocketpair and didnt wanna get raised on the river. So my plan was to call here.
  • AceFromSpaceKKAceFromSpaceKK Red Chipper Posts: 294 ✭✭✭
    I think your sizing is fine, maybe you can go a bit bigger preflop and on the turn.
    His sizing on the river is pretty big and with this sizing he is only repping KQ. Sets would probably have raised flop or turn. I think betting river is the best play since you still get value from weaker KX and it's a way easier fold if you get raised.
    Giofromrio wrote: »
    I didnt see him calling again with a medium pocketpair and didnt wanna get raised on the river. So my plan was to call here.

The problem is he is not bluffing with his medium pocket pairs most of the time. For me it's really hard to find bluffs Villain could have here. In this spot it's way better to say: I'm going to check/decide instead of I'm calling 100% of the time.

edited October 2018
    Awesome,thanks for your opinion. You are right,there are not a lot of bluffs here. But i could not figure out,which weaker hands would have called a bet here. I dont know if he would have called preflop a weaker king than KQ.
    You are also right,that reevaluating on the river instead of just calling is better.
    Bet/fold sounds reasonable to me.
    But as played,would you call the river bet?
    edited October 2018
    One more thing,does anybody know how i can post the hand better (showing the the cards as image instead of letter?)
    Awesome,thanks for your opinion. You are right,there are not a lot of bluffs here. But i could not figure out,which weaker hands would have called a bet here. I dont know if he would have called preflop a weaker king than KQ.

I'm pretty sure there are worse kings in his range. I saw people calling 4bets with KTo so yes they are calling with worse :)
    You are also right,that reevaluating on the river instead of just calling is better.
    Bet/fold sounds reasonable to me.
    But as played,would you call the river bet?

I'm calling but it's a cry call. So tough to fold AK there.

One more thing,does anybody know how i can post the hand better (showing the the cards as image instead of letter?)

just type ":" and then you are ready to go :)
    edited October 2018
    Thanks again;)
    I'll let you know the result.
    I ended up calling and villain showed :3d:3c for a set.
    Thanks again;)
    Expect KQ more often than 33 here tbh. Anyway, you should definitely make a note on his river sizing :)
    Thanks again;)

Was expecting KQ, did not see any sets based on how he played the hand.
    I agree,33 was never in the range i put him on,but i'll learn from this hand. Have a nice weekend
    I agree,33 was never in the range i put him on,but i'll learn from this hand. Have a nice weekend

It's all a part of the learning process. I get surprised ALL the time. At lower limits, you're going to see a ton of players showing up with weird hands in weird situations. And maybe 33 isn't so weird (it's a pair, after all, just an expensive set mine attempt that is going to fold out to a c-bet when it misses at a really high frequency).
    Yeah that's true. To me it is at least not completely unreasonable to call with 33 here.
    I wouldn't personally unless I had a good enough read on an opponent to know if he was opening too wide but there's not a ton of boards that 3s can call multiple barrels so I would generally just walk away from that one, but I am also NOT a good player lol.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13 ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Readless, call.
    If pansy nit TAG "only bluffs are cbets" average regular, debatable.
    Read seems absolutely crucial here.
    I wouldn't personally unless I had a good enough read on an opponent to know if he was opening too wide but there's not a ton of boards that 3s can call multiple barrels so I would generally just walk away from that one, but I am also NOT a good player lol.

Haha, i know i shouldnt either but one of my biggest leaks that i call to many hands.
    Just as a standart microfish does. It really costed me a lot of money that i call too light and overbluff with air way too much. Hopefully i get to fix these leaks soon. :))
  • Leath WLeath W Red Chipper Posts: 53 ✭✭
    There aren't many hands I think would call the previous 2 streets that UTG+1 would have in his preflop min-raise/3bet calling range, any set would have likely raised the river so I believe he most likely called you down with TP worse kicker. The only hands I can really think about are KQ or KJ, maybe KT. I would go for a thin value bet on the river, expecting to win this hand sometimes, and fold if he raises.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file