question about nash ranges from "MTT crash course ICMIZER tutorial"

soulsubwaysoulsubway Red Chipper Posts: 2 ✭✭
Hello I saw the above video in the title by Gareth James. In the video he says something like "regardless of our opponents calling range, we can still shove nash and profit". But then he also says shove tighter if opponents are calling looser. I have two questions

1. Why shove tighter if we still profit shoving nash?
2. If playing in a 9 man SNG, does the above quote still hold true? We profit shoving nash regardless of opponents ranges?

Thanks!

Answers

• LeChiffreLeChiffre NetherlandsRed Chipper Posts: 417 ✭✭✭
    If we shove Nash we shove with such a range that our opponent can't exploit us by either overfolding or overcalling. That's what Nash equilibrium does.

If we notice villain overcalling, the correct exploitative adjustment would be to tighten up and deviate from Nash, because villain "bluffcatches" too much against the bottom of our range.
  • GazelligGazellig RCP Coach Posts: 74 ✭✭
    This is a great question, good job on picking up on the confusion. If our opponent(s) call wider than Nash then it's true that some hands (namely the bottom of our range) will become unprofitable, but it's also true that the EV of other hands (namely the top of our range) will go up so we end up making more money with them.

The bottom of our range makes quite a lot of its money from fold equity. If we can anticipate fewer folds, then we must tighten up our range. Sorry if that wasn't clear in the video.

I recommend playing with ICMIZER or Holdem Resources Calculator with an SNG payout structure (50/30/20) and adjusting the calling ranges of your opponent(s). The difference in EV and profitability will become more pronounced closer to the bubble and during 3 handed play.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file