Should I have called?

RickBlackdogRickBlackdog Red Chipper Posts: 13 ✭✭
We're toward the end of a game, final 3 at the table, it's around 1.30am we're all tired. I've about 14K chips in my stack, slightly behind the other two players at this stage. One of the players has shoved 6-7 hands in a row but I've had nothing to call him with. He's bored, aggressive and tilted and is generally a maniac player. He knows we are both much more passive players and is using this to his advantage. I've called his bluffs with strong hands a few times and he's often had over cards that have missed, or weak/middle pairs. He has folded very few hands. Blinds which are at 500/1K at this stage. This one hand flat calls to me in the BB and I check with (a hand I would never ordinarily bet with):

:8c:2c

The flop comes:

:Th:8d:2s

So I figure since he's checked, he probably has nothing decent given his prior aggression. I elect to bet 3K, he calls. Turn comes:

:5h

So I check to query his call, I suspect if he had anything he'd bet, but he checks. The turn comes:

:Jh

He shoves. His mannerisms are very open, I strongly suspect he's bluffing trying to rep the flush, I suspect he was calling with a weak ace which missed.

Question is, should I have called? I'm kicking myself for folding.

Should I have called?

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• LoveFishLoveFish IllinoisRed Chipper Posts: 104 ✭✭
    Why are you checking the turn?
  • WannabeFarhaWannabeFarha Red Chipper Posts: 21 ✭✭
    No - you were right to make a nitty fold & wait for a better hand
    I wanted someone else to say it first but yeah i never would have checked the turn here with 2p. 1/2-3/4x bet gets him to fold high cards, maybe come along for a draw he has, which when you follow up on the river he folds, or he bombs over the top and you know your 2p probably isnt good.
  • RoblivionRoblivion WisconsinRed Chipper Posts: 307 ✭✭✭
    Yes - you should have called
    As played, you got put in a sucky spot but I think you have to call based on stacks and how you played the hand. If you bet the turn you don't end up in this situation.
  • RickBlackdogRickBlackdog Red Chipper Posts: 13 ✭✭
    Actually now I think of it - I think he did check to me on the turn & I did raise prob around half pot, he called, It was so late it's a bit hazy.
  • RedRed Red Chipper Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭✭
    If you've pot left on turn with no that many BB left and a concealed hand, shove and stop putting yourself in shitty situations.
  • kageykagey Red Chipper, KINGOFTAGS Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the question ISN'T whether or not you should call the river.
    the question really is HOW did you allow yourself to get into this spot in the first place?
  • Doug HullDoug Hull RCP Coach Posts: 1,867 -
    If you are having hard spot on a street. Look to the prior street, that is where the problem is.
    Co-founder Red Chip Poker,
    Author Poker Plays You Can Use
    Author Poker Workbook for Math Geeks
  • Michael WMichael W Red Chipper Posts: 135 ✭✭
    poll-poker is post-gto?
  • John ValentineJohn Valentine Red Chipper Posts: 94 ✭✭
    You should have bet the turn. I would even consider going all in. Yes he might have a set, 22 or 44, but you can't be worried about it. Most likely he has either a draw or 2 over cards. At this stage of the tournament 2 pair is a very strong hand. If Villian wants to chasr, make him pay.
  • RickBlackdogRickBlackdog Red Chipper Posts: 13 ✭✭
    I did bet the turn - see correction to original post. Should I have bombed it?
  • jeffncjeffnc Red Chipper Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The original description and your followup still leaves things confusing. It would help to know that actual action and your opponent's position (button or small blind.) At one point you said you checked the turn first, and at another point you said he checked the turn first.

It probably doens't matter much. You have one pot sized bet left, it needs to go in one way or another.
  • Fernando TFernando T Red Chipper Posts: 90 ✭✭
    You should have bet in the turn

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file