Am I Priced in? Did I dig myself into this hole?

JSnowJSnow Merrimack, NHRed Chipper Posts: 42 ✭✭
OK guys - been going back through the 1/2 crash course and focusing on position, ranges, and putting my opponents on hands. Tonights session was positive, but one hand had me wondering if I did something wrong and wanted to recap while fresh.

For this hand, I am focusing on one player, UTG. I am UTG +1. Table dynamics are very important here, I think. This table has been soft all night. There are hardly ever any raisers on any hand unless I am in it. I was only entering pots when I was in position with hands in my range and always raising it. They would call and play fit or fold. I ripped off a lot of semi-bluffs with unmade hands uncontested. For the first time in awhile, I felt very comfortable and excited with my game. I could feel it developing. Anyways, let's continue.

UTG has about $160-170, the math will check out later. May be off by a couple bucks as I type this. He was straddling every time he was UTG and would go to a flop without a raise every time with anyone who called him. Here's how we approach this. There are only about 6 players at the table, 3 are eating dinner. I also have about $260 in front of me.

I look down UTG+1 at :Ad :7d

Knowing how this table is, I think I can get some blinds at least from the SB, BB, and if I do get a caller here, I am more than happy going to a flop. Plan is, I see diamonds we stay, if I face aggression against a C-bet if an ace hits, I fold. Thats it. At least I know what I plan on. This is why I make it $15 total.

Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls.

Flop comes: :3d :4d :4h

I think about what I want to bet here, my range is much better for this board than his, at least I think so. Is he really defending his straddle with a 3 or a 4? I highly doubt it. Maybe he has larger pockets, but I feel at best they would be in the 66-10/10 range. Both which I am behind on, but still OK. Now it gets a little interesting. He rebumps it up to $45. Thinking I am drawing to the second nuts here, I am a little hesitant but make the call.

Turn: :9c

He leads out all-in for $42 more. Completely stumped.. Was I priced in? Did I make the mistake out of the gate and dig myself into this hole? Do you call it? What are your thoughts?
I folded and he only showed us the 3.

Comments

• persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are very excitable.

Let's get a revisit of the flop action, first.
  • moishetreatsmoishetreats Red Chipper Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭
    Of all the decisions (and thought processes) throughout this hand, I think that the call/fold at the end is the least meaningful one.
  • RedRed Red Chipper Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭✭
    Considering the bet sizings, UTG stack is around 100-110 (call 15+ donk 45 + shove 42). Not 160-170. With the straddle, this means we are playing 25bb deep eff. Except if he is a maniac (at least playing the straddle) or known to spazze when short stack, A7s isn't a hand I want to play as first to act.
    Yes maybe we have range advantage against UTG wide calling range on straddle, but 25bb deep is way too shallow to have a good manoeuvrability. How do you think you can win the ~60% you miss the board ?

On the flop he donks with an overbet for half his stack. On a passive fit-or-fold table. Doesn't this ring a bell?

Finally You've to know on flop if you want to play for stack (is it +EV). Calling flop means calling turn. Folding then is a strategical blunder.
  • DeadliftsDeadlifts Red Chipper Posts: 79 ✭✭
    I don't know if this board is the strongest for your range with a raise pre from EP, I can be wrong here. Also, understanding this is a soft game and a very passive one..I can see why you elected to play this hand, but as Red said up there, I too am wary about selecting this hand as first to act. As played, what was your action on the flop? I might have missed it, but all I caught was villain raising your bet to $45...so perhaps you led out with a $20ish bet here? If so, I would perhaps raise a bit higher initially...again, take all of this with a grain of salt
  • w34z3lw34z3l RCP Coach Posts: 48 ✭✭
    Seems somewhat unclear whether villain overbet donks or check-raises against our c-bet.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file