Am I a fish?

H4ppyH4ppy Red Chipper Posts: 13 ✭✭
Hey Guys I would like to share a Hand with you...
I try to follow the common "Posting style"
Unfortunately I didn't have many Information About the Villain because it was one of the first rounds.

No Limit Holdem Game 0.1/0.25 Cash / 9 Player max

Hero :KH: :QD: 127 BB - at the Button
Villain 102BB - CO

----
Pre Flop
----
UTG1 folds
UTG2 folds
UTG3 folds
MP 1 folds
MP 2 sitting out
MP3 free
villain bets 3BB
Hero raise 5BB
SB folds
BB folds
Villain calls
----
2 Player - 11,4BB in pot
---
Flop :8D: :3H: :QC:
---
Villain bets 6BB
Her calls
---
22,36 BB in Pot
---
Turn :QH:
---
Villain bets 17BB
Hero raise 34BB
Villain calls
---
90,36 BB in Pot
---
Turn :9H:
---
Villain bets 56,72 BB (All in)
Hero calls
---
Showdown:
Villain :8S: :8H:
---

I calculated my equity several times but I Always got +EV.
I am new to Poker so Maybe i am doing something wrong or I am giving him the wrong range.
But I thought more he would come up with AA; KK ; JJ

What is your guys opinion on this?

Comments

• RedRed Red Chipper Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes you were very fishy
    • Preflop min raising is bad
    • Flop is hard to guess. But it looks like a far ahead/far behind. (Either V is bluffing to much and it's easy call; or V is strongly value oriented and TP2K is drawing dead)
    • Turn raise is a blunder, both by the action (Q doesn't change any thing to the flop except less change V did donkbet with QX...) and the sizing (min raise).
    • V should never have KK/AA: a 4bet pre would be expected. And would V donkbet and turn bet/call with JJ ?
  • AHallai_3AHallai_3 Red Chipper Posts: 11 ✭✭
    I don't like the 3bet with KQo, even on the button, against an unknown player. Definitely not a fan of the size either. My standard is somewhere between 3x-4x villains raise for a 3bet and then it will vary based on player. Hard to say with not knowing much on the player, but I think at minimum his range is 77-JJ and AJ+ when he calls your preflop 3bet, which KQo against that range is awful. Even if I throw in some suited broadways, KQo is just not a good hand here and I'd fold without even thinking about it, unless I had a good read on the player. He is in the cut off, so his range could be wide, but unless I have more hands on the player, I always start of by assuming a tighter range until villain shows me otherwise.

Honestly, with the donk bet on the flop, I'm still in the process of studying those so I can't give much information on that. But to conclude, I think the worst hand V shoves on the river with is AQ. I can also see a goofy J10 of hearts playing this way as well. Hope it helps, and keep on grinding
    @AHallai_3 3 betting preflop is good. KQ is a very nice hand to 3bet with (incl. KQo). We could also see a call with since we will have a nice equity against a CO opening range.
    Sizing is but a big issue. 3x is a minimum; and since V is going to have position, I'd more go around 4-4.5x-ish.
    Folding KQo is really bad (way too nitty).
  • H4ppyH4ppy Red Chipper Posts: 13 ✭✭
    @Red So you mean 4-4.5x as a preflop raise? I see the issue of the Minimum raise....
  • H4ppyH4ppy Red Chipper Posts: 13 ✭✭
    @AHallai_3 But why do you get an awful equity with KQo? I am still getting 40% Minimum. Or is 40% not enough in this case?
    H4ppy wrote: »
    @Red So you mean 4-4.5x as a preflop raise? I see the issue of the Minimum raise....

Usually I 3bet around 3.5x (Note: I play live, open bet sizing are bigger). But if there are callers or if I'm in the blinds I'll size my 3bet bigger.
    As we will play OOP when called, we don't want the original raiser to have too good of a price to go postflop. We make him pay the position.
    Also since we will play OOP when called, our preflop OOP 3bet range should be stronger than when we 3bet IP (from CO or BU); so there is no (theoretical) issue to size bigger too.
    @Red

I definitely agree that folding KQo on the button is definitely too nitty against a CO range. But against an opponent where I have no info on, I tend to play it safe early. But after 40 hands or so I should have a comfortable read on opening ranges and deciding whether flat calling or 3 betting is the more profitable play.

40 hands is way too long on live play. It's what, 1 or 2 hours ? You've to pump up your observation skills!
    Also, even by playing safe KQos is never a fold.
    (Also, if you've no info, raising with KQo - which is a very decent hand to 3bet with considering we block KK, QQ, AK, AQ, KQ - helps to see how Villain react. Put them under pressure!)

If you want to reassure yourself, you can either play with flopzilla (or similar) to see how great your equity is against different ranges. You can also use a solver to see what would be the optimal response with KQo.
  • Jordan PowerJordan Power Red Chipper Posts: 270 ✭✭✭
    Agree with Red, 40 hands is way too long a time. Two orbits should tell you a lot about the style of play at the table. If it's full ring, two orbits is 20 hands. If you see a player enter 10 pots, well you can guess they play a wide range; if you see a player play NO hands, you can guess they're a littler tighter.

You can gain info really fast. But refine it: someone could be card dead or receiving a wealth of premium hands in 20 hands. Practice keeping count for the first few orbits of who is open raising, who is limping calling, who is limp folding, etc and then refine from there. That's my plan, at least.
    Lol. Well I thought this was an online hand @Red and that would be about 15 minutes online. Less if multi tabling with them.
    I completely agree with the 3bet to put them under pressure, see how Villian reacts especially when on the button. All I’m saying is if I have no hands on a player, and I 3 bet (a normal size) and they call, how can I play the hand profitably without knowing anything about them? Do they continue with only hands better than me? Are they going to continue so wide that if I flop a Q on a Q83 rainbow, what is it worth? 2 streets? 3 streets? It’s just not a hand I like to play blind, even if I’m IP.
    AHallai_3 wrote: »
    I completely agree with the 3bet to put them under pressure, see how Villian reacts especially when on the button. All I’m saying is if I have no hands on a player, and I 3 bet (a normal size) and they call, how can I play the hand profitably without knowing anything about them? Do they continue with only hands better than me? Are they going to continue so wide that if I flop a Q on a Q83 rainbow, what is it worth? 2 streets? 3 streets? It’s just not a hand I like to play blind, even if I’m IP.
    If you call, what would be the difference? Can you play the hand profitably without knowing anything about them? Do they bet only with better hands ? Are they going to continue c-bet wide on Q83r ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file