78s in a preflop-3bet-bluff pot

EurocratEurocrat Red Chipper Posts: 16 ✭✭
Hi everyone,

I've recently joined Red Chip Poker after putting in some bucks in Pokerstars again. So far I played some months, I've been running pretty good and managed to climb from NL2 to NL5 some days ago. I figured I follow the CORE advice and share a hand that I had trouble with every once in a while. So, here goes:

Hold'em No Limit 6max ($0.02/$0.05 USD)
BU Villain ($6.84 in chips)
SB: Hero ($6.04 in chips)
BB: BB ($5.42 in chips)
UTG: UTG ($5 in chips)
HJ: HJ ($5 in chips)

Preflop:
UTG, HJ fold
Villain on BU raise tos to 4bb
Hero in SB 3bets to 12bb with 7h8h
BB folds, Villain calls. Pot is now 25bb

Thoughts: I had 150 hands on Villain and I had a quite fishy impression of him. His stats were 39/22/3.7. He didn't limp, but he did do a lot of cold-2bet-call and cold-3bet-calls. Villain folded to 3bets 4 out of 7 times at this point. I did not have a specific read for the rather big raise. Given the nitty big blind and that he has a quite loose range, I was still pretty confident that this bluff works often enough and that 78s would be a good hand for that.

*** FLOP *** [6d 8d Tc]
Hero bets 13 bb, Villain calls. Pot is now 51bb-ish (not accounting rake)

Thoughts: To start, I figured that he would have 4bet AK+/QQ+ (though, admittedly, I didn't see him 4bet before). So, his calling range would be something like 22+, A2s+, most broadways (suited and unsuited), 76s+. I'm not too unhappy with this flop and will want to cbet here to make him fold the weakest of his pairs (22-55, maybe A6s) and his complete air (something like KQo, Ace high with no flush draw). Looking back, I don't think anything that beats me here would fold, but the prospect of taking it down just here seemed pretty good while on the spot. With this player type, I think villain call could be either a medium strength hand, a monster or a draw.

*** TURN *** [6d 8d Tc] [9d]
Hero checks, Villain bets 6 bb, Hero calls. Pot is now 63bb-ish.

Thoughts: With the turn, I improve to a straight so I beat his 2pairs and his sets and I get beaten by flushs and better straights. In this spot, I don't want to build a pot with what I perceive as a marginal hand. So I plan to check/call here, and the small bet size.

*** RIVER *** [6d 8d Tc 9d] [Ah]
Hero checks, Villain bets 62 bb, hero calls. Pot is 187 bb.

Thoughts: I think the river is a brick, so I felt it was difficult to fold this hand. On the one hand, I feel like the big river bets on NL5 are always to get value out of nuttish hands, but on the other hand, I could also see how some of these players would play this with topset or a 7 to a straight. While playing, I also thought of busted flush draws, but looking back now I don't really see it happening with this player type.

I think the most confusing point for me was the Flop Cbet and while writing this I come to the conclusion that check/call would be better, mainly because I don't see any turn cards where I could successfully second barrel. But I'm happy to hear from you any comment you might have.

Cheers
Eurocrat

Tagged:

Comments

• AceFromSpaceKKAceFromSpaceKK Red Chipper Posts: 281 ✭✭✭
    I think this is a flop you should be checking. The reason for that is that BTN has clear range advantage. By betting you fold out the majority of Villain's bluffing combos and you only get called by better hands. (Think about the hands you are 3betting with for value.) You said you want him to fold 22-55 and hands like A6s. Why? For me his stats dont look fishy at all. I think 87s is the perfect hand to check/call at least twice. You said at the end that you want to double barrel on some turns. Which turns do you want to double barrel and why? You are basically turning your hand into a bluff if you dont hit.

Anyway, the small turn bet looks really suspicious. I think he wants to induce a raise with a nutted type of hand. On the river you are calling for a chop so I lean towards a fold.
  • Michael WMichael W Red Chipper Posts: 135 ✭✭
    you wrote that villain is call happy vs 3bets, then 87s is NOT a 3bet pre. why bluff someone who is not folding?
  • LeChiffreLeChiffre NetherlandsRed Chipper Posts: 470 ✭✭✭
    Don't think you should look to 3-bet bluff a whole lot against a fish who opens 4BB on the button.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file