struggling with this hand | KJo on CO against MP

H4ppyH4ppy Red Chipper Posts: 13 ✭✭
Hey Guys I would like to share a hand with you I am still really unsure how to play it. I cant say much about the villain because he played balanced I would say.After 40 hands he had a vp of 49 but I guess that does not say very much at this point.

PokerStars - $0.05 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players

MP: 167.8 BB (VPIP: 48.65, PFR: 29.73, 3Bet Preflop: 6.67, Hands: 40)
Hero (CO): 156.4 BB
BTN: 100 BB (VPIP: 5.41, PFR: 2.70, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 37)
SB: 100 BB (VPIP: 28.00, PFR: 18.00, 3Bet Preflop: 5.00, Hands: 102)
BB: 113.2 BB (VPIP: 28.70, PFR: 15.74, 3Bet Preflop: 2.27, Hands: 110)
UTG: 101.4 BB (VPIP: 10.00, PFR: 10.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 11)

SB posts SB 0.4 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.4 BB) Hero has :KC: :JD:

fold, MP calls 1 BB, Hero raises to 3 BB, fold, fold, BB calls 2 BB, MP calls 2 BB

Flop: (9.4 BB, 3 players) :QH: :5C: :KH:
BB checks, MP checks, Hero bets 4.6 BB, fold, MP raises to 13.2 BB, Hero calls 8.6 BB

Thoughts: In retrospect I guess I should just have called with them? My plan was to get to an headsup with weaker hands than mine. But I think this was a misplay. Also because I gave them the opportunity to raise my small bet.

Turn: (35.8 BB, 2 players) :TH:
MP checks, Hero bets 17.2 BB, MP raises to 151.6 BB and is all-in, fold

Thoughts: Again I think I should have checked or bet bigger?
Especially because of my small bet on the flop.
I fold because I was afraid of AK or maybe AQ Or suited Connector flush draws. I don't think he had KK or QQ, maybe 55.

MP wins 67.2 BB

Comments

• persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • EazzyEazzy Red Chipper Posts: 951 ✭✭✭✭
    You can raise bigger preflop. 4BB or 5BB depending on the game..you want to isolate the 49 29 player.

Now lets think abut his limp call range. He raises 30% of hands...thats a lot of hands...it includes hands like KQ AK AA KK QQ, it may include 55...

So when he check raises your flop what hands can he have that are a head...Kxs 2 combos...Qxs 3 combos...55 ??? 6 combos.. , and thats about it.....

What hands are you ahead of that he does this...mainly draws,,,,but straight draws around a KQ mainly JT are in a 29% raising range....so that leaves mainly flush draws....discounting the broadway flush draws...A high flush draws...and some high suited connectiros 87s-t9s....as they are in his raising range...

that leaves you with ...a lot of suited crap....roughly 36 combos. (all suited is 55 combos less the suited aces, and suited broadway).

On the flop you can consider re-raising....get it in against his draws...or just calling an let him continue his heavily semi bluff weighted range.

on the turn you are toast,,,unless he is a maniac who cold bluffs..into a KQx board after the original raiser bet into 3 players....or thinks K8o is the nuts...Just check it back and plan on folding the river...
  • H4ppyH4ppy Red Chipper Posts: 13 ✭✭
    Thank you very much @Eazzy that helps me a lot!

@persuadeo you agree I should have bet something like 4 or 5 BB preflop?
    My thought was that I will almost never get players into the pot with such a "big" open bet.
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, first off, it's not just a bet nor it is an open. The action was opened with a limp. This is not a triviality, because you have to maneuver against this opening, just as you would not ignore the movement of the pawns in a chess match. The words we use contain hints about the structure of the game and therefore its strategy. Consider the latest video from Doug, where he admits the perils of ignoring the meaning of the opens and VPIPs in front of him.

Your raise means something, both mathematically and strategically. He opened with the minimal wager exactly so he could accept a price, so when you change that price so minimally, you are, in part, rewarding him for his plan. That's fine if your range is strong enough to handle this action, and maybe it is. However, you are at the bottom of it.

This ends up mattering on the flop and turn, where instead of recognizing you have one of your worse kings, you treat the board as if your holding has now improved significantly or that this holding is indifferent to the board. In other words, you are overplaying your hand and ignoring the range of the limper, the one who opened the pot with some form of equity.

Eazzy covers the effects of this and one way of dealing with it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file