What to do when feeling too curious?

JeebJeeb Red Chipper Posts: 8 ✭✭
I often find myself in spots where i just don't believe they have it and punt off stacks with bluff catchers.

I feel this is a psychological issue and it has been a huge problem in my game.

Has anyone been through something similar? What has worked for you?

Comments

  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 2,013 -
    I have a built in advantage thanks to the old proverb about what kuriosity did to the Kat.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • JeebJeeb Red Chipper Posts: 8 ✭✭
  • moishetreatsmoishetreats Red Chipper Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭
    There's an adage (can someone provide the exact quote and source if it's really a quote?) that good players get bluffed more than bad players.
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Stop thinking of poker as a psychological game and focus on the strategy.
  • JeebJeeb Red Chipper Posts: 8 ✭✭
    persuadeo wrote: »
    Stop thinking of poker as a psychological game and focus on the strategy.

    Fair enough.
  • Jordan PowerJordan Power Red Chipper Posts: 406 ✭✭✭
    Write these hands down to study off table (and post them on the forum) when things like this happen. I would wager that the error comes before you're trying to catch their bluffs.
  • JeebJeeb Red Chipper Posts: 8 ✭✭
    Write these hands down to study off table (and post them on the forum) when things like this happen. I would wager that the error comes before you're trying to catch their bluffs.

    Definitively. Will do
  • suited4eversuited4ever Red Chipper Posts: 19 ✭✭
    I personally have a group of poker player friends that I share everything with.
    I tend to leave the curiousity out of my game and try to thing about the RIGHT move.

    After sharing these type of hands with my friends, I win either way:
    1. I played good - Nice tap on the shoulder
    2. I played bad - I learn from it to the next time
  • AkashicAkashic Red Chipper Posts: 66 ✭✭
    If I am unable to control my curiosity at the table, I take a break. Doesn't matter if I was correct or incorrect, I get up and take a walk. This is a point where I can begin to spiral and potentially go on some level of tilt.

    In the past, I've practiced suppressing emotions at the table, but it seems to only intensify the longer I suppress it. Instead, I have begun to sit with my emotions and learn to be at peace with it. Instead of trying to not get angry, I have instead been practicing letting the emotions run and try to change my strategy around it. I do no not mean just getting pissed and trying to force things, but instead see what strategies I can come up with in this new aggressive state.

    Again, I do this during my break away from the table and come back in like 10+min. It has been interesting.
  • moishetreatsmoishetreats Red Chipper Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭
    Akashic wrote: »
    If I am unable to control my curiosity at the table, I take a break. Doesn't matter if I was correct or incorrect, I get up and take a walk. This is a point where I can begin to spiral and potentially go on some level of tilt.

    In the past, I've practiced suppressing emotions at the table, but it seems to only intensify the longer I suppress it. Instead, I have begun to sit with my emotions and learn to be at peace with it. Instead of trying to not get angry, I have instead been practicing letting the emotions run and try to change my strategy around it. I do no not mean just getting pissed and trying to force things, but instead see what strategies I can come up with in this new aggressive state.

    Again, I do this during my break away from the table and come back in like 10+min. It has been interesting.

    In other words, poker mindfulness techniques. Love it!
  • Jordan PowerJordan Power Red Chipper Posts: 406 ✭✭✭
    I've had a lot of success with meditating before sessions. Allowing myself to be comfortable with whatever thoughts and emotions flow through my head helps me to stay even keel at the table. I actually find myself getting up from the table after a big hand I win rather than a bad beat of a big hand that I've lost. I'm much more scared of over confidence than tilt. The former has gotten me in much bigger trouble than the latter.
  • jeffncjeffnc Red Chipper Posts: 4,637 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I don't recall ever in my life asking to rabbit hunt, as so many players do. So many players not only fold and lose the pot, but rub salt in their own wound by tipping the dealer more money to see the river card. If that strikes you as wasteful, well, you're just a step away....
  • barbiebreadbarbiebread United KingdomRed Chipper Posts: 3
    Wow I definitely do this too, I play microstakes so I thought that in the long run it'd be beneficial to play it out for experience. (But also save+analyse it afterwards)
  • jeffncjeffnc Red Chipper Posts: 4,637 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You already know the odds of different cards hitting, how does that help you with experience?
  • Mr_Big_StackMr_Big_Stack Grantville, GARed Chipper Posts: 5 ✭✭
    Wow I definitely do this too, I play microstakes so I thought that in the long run it'd be beneficial to play it out for experience. (But also save+analyse it afterwards)
    jeffnc wrote: »
    You already know the odds of different cards hitting, how does that help you with experience?

    When I first started playing (micros), I would pay to see the river. Granted I had the money to do this. My reason for doing this? I had to know if my reads of the board and players was getting better. I blew through about $500. Maybe there was a better way, but I still consider it money well spent.
  • jeffncjeffnc Red Chipper Posts: 4,637 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I first started playing (micros), I would pay to see the river. Granted I had the money to do this. My reason for doing this? I had to know if my reads of the board and players was getting better. I blew through about $500. Maybe there was a better way, but I still consider it money well spent.

    This still makes no sense. How does seeing the river card help you with any "reads of the board" (whatever that means) and reads on players? You don't get to see their cards.

  • Mr_Big_StackMr_Big_Stack Grantville, GARed Chipper Posts: 5 ✭✭
    When calling the other player must show first. I will readily admit that I probably took the scenic route to getting better at some aspects of player profiling/playing the player. I still have a long way to go. I had to know if I was getting better at the story the cards were telling me vs the story my opponent(s) were telling me. After all, the object of the game is to make the best decisions. As a neophyte unless you are in games that have many hands going to showdown, then how do you know?

    2 hours ago I played this hand:

    1/2 8-handed. Villain is effective stack
    V is a new player, has been at the table for about 3 orbits. Likes to straddle BUT for 10-25. 1st hand bought in for $200. Bombs the flop (pot~$40) for $75.

    Villain straddles BUT for $10. 2 callers. Hero looks down at A8os. Callers range might not be any two but it wouldn't be that much of an overstatement to say so. Hero raises to $40. V calls, fold, fold. Pot =$100

    Flop A5A rainbow. Hero bets $40, call. Pot = $180

    Turn 9. Hero bets $80. V raises all in for $307

    All those time I paid to get to showdown? It was for times like this. For times when the story that v is selling is so obviously a lie. I went over all the "stories" he had been telling up to this point and I knew he was full of it. What range did I put him on? I can tell you what range I didn't put him on, Ax. Now I'm no math wizard, when I called I expected to see 55 about 10% of the time.

    River was something I can't remember. Villain turns over KcTc. Re-buys for $1000 as I scoop.
  • jeffncjeffnc Red Chipper Posts: 4,637 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 31
    Here's a little trick. This might work when villain has you covered. Let's say you want to shove, but you also want to know what villain has. If you have $100, bet $99. Villain will usually just go "all in" if he's "calling", but actually you're calling him with your last dollar, so he has to show.
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 2,013 -
    jeffnc wrote: »
    Here's a little trick. This might work when villain has you covered. Let's say you want to shove, but you also want to know what villain has. If you have $100, bet $99. Villain will usually just go "all in" if he's "calling", but actually you're calling him with your last dollar, so he has to show.

    I wouldn't recommend that live. Online it's ok.
    Moderation In Moderation

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file