What to do when feeling too curious?

JeebJeeb Red Chipper Posts: 8 ✭✭
I often find myself in spots where i just don't believe they have it and punt off stacks with bluff catchers.

I feel this is a psychological issue and it has been a huge problem in my game.

Has anyone been through something similar? What has worked for you?

Comments

• TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 1,268 -
    I have a built in advantage thanks to the old proverb about what kuriosity did to the Kat.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • JeebJeeb Red Chipper Posts: 8 ✭✭
  • moishetreatsmoishetreats Red Chipper Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭
    There's an adage (can someone provide the exact quote and source if it's really a quote?) that good players get bluffed more than bad players.
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 29
    Stop thinking of poker as a psychological game and focus on the strategy.
    persuadeo wrote: »
    Stop thinking of poker as a psychological game and focus on the strategy.

Fair enough.
  • Jordan PowerJordan Power Red Chipper Posts: 230 ✭✭✭
    Write these hands down to study off table (and post them on the forum) when things like this happen. I would wager that the error comes before you're trying to catch their bluffs.
    Write these hands down to study off table (and post them on the forum) when things like this happen. I would wager that the error comes before you're trying to catch their bluffs.

Definitively. Will do
  • suited4eversuited4ever Red Chipper Posts: 17 ✭✭
    I personally have a group of poker player friends that I share everything with.
    I tend to leave the curiousity out of my game and try to thing about the RIGHT move.

After sharing these type of hands with my friends, I win either way:
    1. I played good - Nice tap on the shoulder
    2. I played bad - I learn from it to the next time
  • Jimmy2dollarJimmy2dollar Red Chipper Posts: 8 ✭✭
    I just learned that if I had to be right 100 percent of the time I was going to loose all my money as a river calling station. What I found helped me break this habit was to pay attention to the betting pattern in relationship to the board texture. When on the fence I give the benefit of the doubt.
  • AkashicAkashic Red Chipper Posts: 57 ✭✭
    If I am unable to control my curiosity at the table, I take a break. Doesn't matter if I was correct or incorrect, I get up and take a walk. This is a point where I can begin to spiral and potentially go on some level of tilt.

In the past, I've practiced suppressing emotions at the table, but it seems to only intensify the longer I suppress it. Instead, I have begun to sit with my emotions and learn to be at peace with it. Instead of trying to not get angry, I have instead been practicing letting the emotions run and try to change my strategy around it. I do no not mean just getting pissed and trying to force things, but instead see what strategies I can come up with in this new aggressive state.

Again, I do this during my break away from the table and come back in like 10+min. It has been interesting.
  • moishetreatsmoishetreats Red Chipper Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭
    Akashic wrote: »
    If I am unable to control my curiosity at the table, I take a break. Doesn't matter if I was correct or incorrect, I get up and take a walk. This is a point where I can begin to spiral and potentially go on some level of tilt.

In the past, I've practiced suppressing emotions at the table, but it seems to only intensify the longer I suppress it. Instead, I have begun to sit with my emotions and learn to be at peace with it. Instead of trying to not get angry, I have instead been practicing letting the emotions run and try to change my strategy around it. I do no not mean just getting pissed and trying to force things, but instead see what strategies I can come up with in this new aggressive state.

Again, I do this during my break away from the table and come back in like 10+min. It has been interesting.

In other words, poker mindfulness techniques. Love it!
  • Jordan PowerJordan Power Red Chipper Posts: 230 ✭✭✭
    I've had a lot of success with meditating before sessions. Allowing myself to be comfortable with whatever thoughts and emotions flow through my head helps me to stay even keel at the table. I actually find myself getting up from the table after a big hand I win rather than a bad beat of a big hand that I've lost. I'm much more scared of over confidence than tilt. The former has gotten me in much bigger trouble than the latter.
  • jeffncjeffnc Red Chipper Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 7
    I don't recall ever in my life asking to rabbit hunt, as so many players do. So many players not only fold and lose the pot, but rub salt in their own wound by tipping the dealer more money to see the river card. If that strikes you as wasteful, well, you're just a step away....

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file