Game Theory for a Beginner

Robert MRobert M Red Chipper Posts: 22 ✭✭
Can anyone point me in the direction of a good book/other resources to learn game theory. It doesn't necessarily have to be about game theory in poker but that definitely doesn't hurt!

Comments

• TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 1,624 -
    There's a free Yale course on YouTube that goes into more detail than you probably need, but is certainly comprehensive.

Here's a super swift Sweeney synopsis for poker:

And a Miller article: https://redchippoker.com/gto-can-improve-your-live-game/
    Moderation In Moderation
  • SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 3,941 -
    And if you are a PRO Member, check out Jones' 3-part series "Lessons From GTO"
    My new book lays out the playbook for AK. Grab your copy and start Optimizing Ace King!
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 1,624 -
    Oh, if you're PRO we have a specific intro to the topic too: https://redchippoker.com/pro-video-hull046/
    Moderation In Moderation
  • GGECKOGGECKO Washington, D.C.Red Chipper Posts: 111 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Understanding what game theory is before trying to apply it to poker is a great idea. I've taken some formal courses on it and I find how many (not all) poker players refer to GTO is not quite the same as the broader theory of game theory supposes. A great free beginner resource I used was at gametheory101.com. He has free videos and the e-book he offers is cheap and also helpful.
  • moishetreatsmoishetreats Red Chipper Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭
    GGECKO wrote: »
    Understanding what game theory is before trying to apply it to poker us a great idea. I've taken some formal courses on it and I find how many (not all) poker players refer to GTO is not quite the same as the broader theory of game theory supposes. A great free beginner resource I used was at gametheory101.com. He has free videos and the e-book he offers is cheap and also helpful.

^This, this, and this.

Game theory and GTO as it applies to poker are connected but are NOT the same thing.
  • LeChiffreLeChiffre NetherlandsRed Chipper Posts: 383 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Game theory and GTO as it applies to poker are connected but are NOT the same thing.

Not sure I agree here. How can game theory applied to poker not be game theory?

I do agree that there are plenty of players who use the phrase GTO without actually knowing what it (or game theory in general) is
  • jeffncjeffnc Red Chipper Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LeChiffre wrote: »
    Not sure I agree here. How can game theory applied to poker not be game theory?

I do agree that there are plenty of players who use the phrase GTO without actually knowing what it (or game theory in general) is

Right. But as to the first question, I wondered the same thing. It could be because while computers are getting good, no one knows, or knows for sure, precisely what GTO really is in poker.

• moishetreatsmoishetreats Red Chipper Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    How can game theory applied to poker not be game theory?

Game theory is a broad term. Its application to poker is game specific. It would be applied differently to different games and has applications even beyond traditional games.

I think, though, that this is conceptual or semantic discussion as opposed to a practical one. I'm cool letting it lie! :)
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are theories of the gsme which are not and/or overlap with GTO conceptions and data. I think Moishe's point is valid.
  • LeChiffreLeChiffre NetherlandsRed Chipper Posts: 383 ✭✭✭
    How can game theory applied to poker not be game theory?

Game theory is a broad term. Its application to poker is game specific. It would be applied differently to different games and has applications even beyond traditional games.

I think, though, that this is conceptual or semantic discussion as opposed to a practical one. I'm cool letting it lie! :)

Alright then let's drop it. I agree with you :)
  • GGECKOGGECKO Washington, D.C.Red Chipper Posts: 111 ✭✭✭
    I should let Pursuadeo's agreement with me lie and take the win but I will comment on one glaring error in applying game theory in the form of GTO to poker. Game theory is a method of modeling various competitive and collaborative situations in an effort to understand them better. The competitive portion of this, and certain methodologies can assist us in this way, such as the use of solvers. However, all modeling is created with the understanding that the participants are "rational actors". There is such a large percentage of the poker playing population that play in a manner which is not consistent with being rational. The idea of exploitive play, as I understand it, is to take advantage of the instances when irrational plays are made by our opponents allowing us to gain +EV. That being said, of course, even plays that are rational can be exploited, but the vast majority of winning will be against irrational plays.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file