Game Theory for a Beginner

Robert MRobert M Red Chipper Posts: 18 ✭✭
Can anyone point me in the direction of a good book/other resources to learn game theory. It doesn't necessarily have to be about game theory in poker but that definitely doesn't hurt!

Comments

• TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 1,268 -
    There's a free Yale course on YouTube that goes into more detail than you probably need, but is certainly comprehensive.

Here's a super swift Sweeney synopsis for poker:

And a Miller article: https://redchippoker.com/gto-can-improve-your-live-game/
    Moderation In Moderation
  • SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 3,930 -
    And if you are a PRO Member, check out Jones' 3-part series "Lessons From GTO"
    My new book lays out the playbook for AK. Grab your copy and start Optimizing Ace King!
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 1,268 -
    Oh, if you're PRO we have a specific intro to the topic too: https://redchippoker.com/pro-video-hull046/
    Moderation In Moderation
  • GGECKOGGECKO Washington, D.C.Red Chipper Posts: 110 ✭✭✭
    edited December 6
    Understanding what game theory is before trying to apply it to poker is a great idea. I've taken some formal courses on it and I find how many (not all) poker players refer to GTO is not quite the same as the broader theory of game theory supposes. A great free beginner resource I used was at gametheory101.com. He has free videos and the e-book he offers is cheap and also helpful.
  • moishetreatsmoishetreats Red Chipper Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭
    GGECKO wrote: »
    Understanding what game theory is before trying to apply it to poker us a great idea. I've taken some formal courses on it and I find how many (not all) poker players refer to GTO is not quite the same as the broader theory of game theory supposes. A great free beginner resource I used was at gametheory101.com. He has free videos and the e-book he offers is cheap and also helpful.

^This, this, and this.

Game theory and GTO as it applies to poker are connected but are NOT the same thing.
  • LeChiffreLeChiffre NetherlandsRed Chipper Posts: 288 ✭✭✭
    edited December 7
    Game theory and GTO as it applies to poker are connected but are NOT the same thing.

Not sure I agree here. How can game theory applied to poker not be game theory?

I do agree that there are plenty of players who use the phrase GTO without actually knowing what it (or game theory in general) is
  • jeffncjeffnc Red Chipper Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LeChiffre wrote: »
    Not sure I agree here. How can game theory applied to poker not be game theory?

I do agree that there are plenty of players who use the phrase GTO without actually knowing what it (or game theory in general) is

Right. But as to the first question, I wondered the same thing. It could be because while computers are getting good, no one knows, or knows for sure, precisely what GTO really is in poker.

• moishetreatsmoishetreats Red Chipper Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 7
    How can game theory applied to poker not be game theory?

Game theory is a broad term. Its application to poker is game specific. It would be applied differently to different games and has applications even beyond traditional games.

I think, though, that this is conceptual or semantic discussion as opposed to a practical one. I'm cool letting it lie! :)
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are theories of the gsme which are not and/or overlap with GTO conceptions and data. I think Moishe's point is valid.
  • LeChiffreLeChiffre NetherlandsRed Chipper Posts: 288 ✭✭✭
    How can game theory applied to poker not be game theory?

Game theory is a broad term. Its application to poker is game specific. It would be applied differently to different games and has applications even beyond traditional games.

I think, though, that this is conceptual or semantic discussion as opposed to a practical one. I'm cool letting it lie! :)

Alright then let's drop it. I agree with you :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file