Tells(found one to share)

LoveFishLoveFish Red Chipper Posts: 48 ✭✭
I mostly play cash, however over the last 3 weeks I have been grinding live tournaments daily.

This tell seems pretty obvious and some of you make look for it already.

Card capping: when a person is placing a chip or a “good luck charm” over their two hole cards.

Today I saw multiple opponents only capping their cards when they were going to play their hand. The hole cards would be dealt, they would look, if they liked what they saw they capped their cards, if they didn’t they would not cap.
This simple tell was huge for me in the tournament as I had 2 opponents on the same table doing this. Specifically in a tournament situation I could put added pressure on them when they were in the blinds. It was as if they had already given up on the hand.

Next time your on the felt, check out for card cappers and if they are only capping the Hands
they intend to play!

Anybody else have any easy reads they want to share?

Comments

• Jordan PowerJordan Power Red Chipper Posts: 230 ✭✭✭
    This is probably the only one I rely on at all. Most players do something specific with their cards that can indicate what they're going to do. I don't look at my cards until I'm one away from having to act to prevent this.
  • dave3096dave3096 Red Chipper Posts: 28 ✭✭
    Here are a couple... Look to your left and see if players will load their cards as if waiting to fold (so you can bet or raise). You can count them as folds. Also, look again and see if any have calling chips in their hands, indicating just a call (so you can raise).
  • RoblivionRoblivion WisconsinRed Chipper Posts: 229 ✭✭✭
    This can be a thing. That's why I always cap my cards regardless of what my intention is. This has actually resulted in people to my right telling me they folded because it looked like I was going to play, and people to my left mentioning they were scared I was going to raise and they wouldn't get to play. To me, that's awesome. I'm pushing people out of the pot with virtually no effort, and exposing myself to bo risk. Of course, it also says something about my opponents that they never noticed I do it EVERY HAND.
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 1,268 -
    Roblivion wrote: »
    This can be a thing. That's why I always cap my cards regardless of what my intention is. This has actually resulted in people to my right telling me they folded because it looked like I was going to play, and people to my left mentioning they were scared I was going to raise and they wouldn't get to play. To me, that's awesome. I'm pushing people out of the pot with virtually no effort, and exposing myself to bo risk. Of course, it also says something about my opponents that they never noticed I do it EVERY HAND.

Yes, quite. Nice table!
    Moderation In Moderation
  • In The DarkIn The Dark Red Chipper Posts: 162 ✭✭
    This is probably the only one I rely on at all. Most players do something specific with their cards that can indicate what they're going to do. I don't look at my cards until I'm one away from having to act to prevent this.

Better: Look at your cards ASAP and if you're folding then simply avoid the glance downstream at your left side opponents. Keep your hand movements consistent EVERY HAND and only your eye movements will leak this interest in the state of your opponents actions. Is that actually a leak? Not at the levels I play.

But if you're focused on your left hand opponents every single hand you may become the victim of false tell broadcasting.

• MichaelBMichaelB Red Chipper Posts: 16 ✭✭
    I've found that people tend to show their intentions on their face more in 3bet pots. So if I'm heads up in a 3bet pot, I study the guy as he's looking at the flop. So often I'll see a general sense of discomfort or even shaking the head and sighs. When I see that, it's a green light to bet as a bluff, or to check with a monster.

Another one that can be risky, but also insanely profitable is to limp or call along in late position with a monster because you can see the guy chip loading in one of the blinds. You'll never see a more confused face when you 4bet him after just calling in late posi. The closer to the button you can get, the better.
  • LoveFishLoveFish Red Chipper Posts: 48 ✭✭
    I’m going to start looking for the chip loading tell, especially in tournaments now! Thanks for that one.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file