Topping Up At Live Games

Jordan PowerJordan Power Red Chipper Posts: 283 ✭✭✭
How often does everyone top up in live games when you get down?

The reason I ask is because a few weeks ago, I had an incredibly horrid 45 minute run where I ended up adding on 5 times in that span. A player commented I was slowing the game down by topping up and why didn't I just let myself get down further before adding on? Obviously we don't need to answer his question because we should be topping up.

But what is the min threshold at which I should go into my pocket?

At my $1/$3 game, the max buy is $500 and I always max buy. Generally, I'm going into my pocket any time I'm down $100 because it's just easy to bring out a single bill and get a single black chip in return.

Is this too frequent? And if it's not really a frequency issue, is there any 'risk' to doing it in that you're giving info to other players that maybe you know what you're doing?

Any thoughts appreciated although I hope to never have to implement this information. Given that I haven't been down more than $4 for two weeks, I assume I can just trust this trend to continue ;)

Comments

• EazzyEazzy Red Chipper Posts: 925 ✭✭✭✭
    I tend to buy in for more money...i like 100bb on the table at 1 3 i buy 500 put 200 in green in my pocket.... Whenever im going to be the btn i reach into my pocket and top off....if dont have enough i bye 2 or 3 hundred and put the rest in my pocket

I top off on the btn. Because i prefer to play short oop so I weight for the btn..every little edge
  • Jordan PowerJordan Power Red Chipper Posts: 283 ✭✭✭
    Oh I didn't think of just buying more ahead of time and keeping it in the pocket.
  • moishetreatsmoishetreats Red Chipper Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭
    Partially depends on stack sizes around the table and partially based on other players' profile (do I want to be shorter stacked or deeper?). Additionally, I have found that some tables are profitable as a small stack and using the all-in to re-build a stack. But, these are are all separate considerations and really a deviation.

In general when I'm around 2/3 - 3/4 of buy-in is when I'll top off.
  • RoblivionRoblivion WisconsinRed Chipper Posts: 241 ✭✭✭
    I would base this on what stack depth you're comfortable at, and who at the table you have covered whether you top off or not. I personally go into my pocket at about the 75 BB mark. No one should ever be telling you not to put more money on the table. First, it's just rude; second, who doesn't want someone that's losing to bring out more money?
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 1,465 -
    I'd definitely keep big chips in your pocket now that cash doesn't play most places. Some rooms, particularly when busy, can be real slow with their chip runners and if the dealer isn't good about reminding everyone loudly that you're a hundred behind it can create some weird spots.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • jeffncjeffnc Red Chipper Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, you can easily top off in $25 increments if you want to. Doesn't even matter if people see you do it or not, takes no time.
  • jfarrow13jfarrow13 Red Chipper Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭✭
    When I would play, I would bring the entire amount I was willing to lose, and then buy all chips I wanted. I'd bring out the extra blacks are needed.
    Roblivion wrote: »
    I would base this on what stack depth you're comfortable at, and who at the table you have covered whether you top off or not. I personally go into my pocket at about the 75 BB mark. No one should ever be telling you not to put more money on the table. First, it's just rude; second, who doesn't want someone that's losing to bring out more money?

The people I played with today much have loved it! Rough weekend, but as good as I've been playing/running, I don't feel too bad about it. Thanks for the advice.
    jfarrow13 wrote: »
    When I would play, I would bring the entire amount I was willing to lose, and then buy all chips I wanted. I'd bring out the extra blacks are needed.

I did this today, just bought my normal $500 100 red chip buy in and kept the extra 700 in 7 blacks in my pocket. Good call, it never even occurred to me to do that lol
  • jfarrow13jfarrow13 Red Chipper Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭✭
    I did this today, just bought my normal $500 100 red chip buy in and kept the extra 700 in 7 blacks in my pocket. Good call, it never even occurred to me to do that lol

Yerp, just make sure that your pants don't like work chips out. I lost $100 that way.... sigh. That's why you see those poker nerds with their little nap sacks.

Yerp, just make sure that your pants don't like work chips out. I lost $100 that way.... sigh. That's why you see those poker nerds with their little nap sacks.

Hey now, it's a Crown Royal drawstring bag.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • eugeniusjreugeniusjr Red Chipper Posts: 412 ✭✭✭
    Every single hand, even if only for a dollar.
  • moishetreatsmoishetreats Red Chipper Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭

Not saying that this is a bad idea.

Just one note of caution: There is a value to reaching into your pocket for cash -- it gives a forced pause. Tossing a black chip on the table is often a thoughtless action. But, grabbing your wallet and cash and then buying requires thought. Sometimes, that thought is necessary to stay leveled, and other times it's necessary to realize that it's time to get up.

Just something to consider.
  • RedRed Red Chipper Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭✭

Not saying that this is a bad idea.

Just one note of caution: There is a value to reaching into your pocket for cash -- it gives a forced pause. Tossing a black chip on the table is often a thoughtless action. But, grabbing your wallet and cash and then buying requires thought. Sometimes, that thought is necessary to stay leveled, and other times it's necessary to realize that it's time to get up.

Just something to consider.

Alternative is to have a max $ to play per night - for me it's 3x 150bb. Once it's out, it's out. So no need to think "Can I afford another 100$ tonight?" ; I just look at my stack and top up +50bb when I go lower than ~ 85bb.
    Good point @moishetreats. I always have all the cash I am willing to lose on me; I have a no ATM rule, so I am more in line with how @Red and others described it.

I also use every time I'm going in my pocket as a chance to step away for a moment and reassess how I've been playing, whether I am still mentally able to play effectively. Any time I'm in my pocket, I just take a lap around the card room or out onto the terrace to cool my heels a second.
  • Charlie_HarperCharlie_Harper Red Chipper Posts: 16 ✭✭

i put my extra chips in a ziploc baggie in my pocket so the chips dont get lost

i put my extra chips in a ziploc baggie in my pocket so the chips dont get lost

Advanced play right there. I've also done this. Do NOT make the mistake of getting some generic cheapo ziploc. Third time you go to open it it splits shooting chips all over the place.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • EazzyEazzy Red Chipper Posts: 925 ✭✭✭✭

For me its a hoody with pockets, woot had a sale on red onse so i baught 4...an now im the guy who always wares red.....
  • NYCRyNYCRy Red Chipper Posts: 319 ✭✭✭
    TheGameKat wrote: »

Hey now, it's a Crown Royal drawstring bag.

I like to use those little bags that sunglasses come in

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file