Thoughts on this bluff line I took.

LoveFishLoveFish IllinoisRed Chipper Posts: 97 ✭✭
2/5 live max buy in 500$

Get dealt AQ off on the button. Stack 575$
I have been playing very tight. I Have been at the table for about 3hrs.

MP is a cannon plays any 2. Stack 1500$ Has been playing for about 1 hr.

Any how 2 limpers (Mp and HJ) comes to us on the button we make it 35.

Both call. (112$) in the pot.

Flop 9 5 4 rainbow. Cannon donks 40. HJ folds. He has been doing this almost every flop that he is in. Regardless of whether he has hit or missed. I didn’t think he was particularly strong here at all.

I raise to 120. Villain calls. (Pot 352$)

Turn 6h Puts hearts out there.

9h 4d 5c 6h

He checks. I bet 200$. The reason I bet this much and this could be where I made a mistake is that I wanted it to look like I would jam on the river as I only had 225$ behind after putting in 200$ on the turn.

Should I in the future:
bet the same?
Check back and shut down, unless an A or Q hits?
Jam the turn for 420$?

Anyways after tanking for a while he asks me how much I have behind, and he makes the call.

(Pot 752$)

River 6. He checks.
We check and give up.
I felt like jamming 220 here would get called as he is almost getting 4:1 on a call. Plus the river really doesn’t change much. So he would most likely call. Do you think this was the correct action, or should we be jamming?

Villain turns over A 5 and we muck. Sickening.

Comments

• TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 2,716 -
    I think there's a bigger question here concerning whether this is a good line against this particular opponent type. Against a typical Vegas $2/$5 player I suspect it's kick ass. Although a modification against them is to make a smallish flop raise which you want to get called since you're gonna take the pot on the turn.

The advantage the line might have here is that by raising smaller on the flop, stacks are set up better for a turn-river combo.

One other thought. The type of player you describe is probably used to people getting tired of him and playing back, thereby making him stickier. Or he could just be crazy. But as the preflop aggressor this is kind of a weird flop to raise.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • LoveFishLoveFish IllinoisRed Chipper Posts: 97 ✭✭
    Yes perhaps the optimal line would have been to min click him to 80 or 90 on flop. Bet 160 on turn. Jam river. I think against most opponents they fold A5 at minimum to the turn bet.
  • RedRed Red Chipper Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks like you were trying to make fold a station...
  • ElGiganteElGigante Red Chipper Posts: 21 ✭✭
    Yeah. Don’t try and get this player type to fold. Play wide against him and bet most pairs you make for value.

I this particular spot the turn is not a good hand for your perceived range. Villain likely (correctly) thinks he should have an advantage here
  • jeffncjeffnc Red Chipper Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very player dependent, and you have to study him. There are 2 kinds of maniacs. One type is very aware of their image and they know that as soon as someone starts playing back at them, the jig is up. They know you are both scared and irritated, so aggression from you is transparent. In other words, they find your bets and raises very believable because they know you've been waiting for a real hand. The other kind is scary because they just never fold as well as being aggressive. They think that people are always coming in light against them. These can be pretty difficult to play against when they catch a few cards. You don't know where you stand against them. You can also make the most money against them when you have a real hand. You need to know which he is.

• TravisTravis Red Chipper Posts: 455 ✭✭✭
    You are only repping an over pair. This is a range disadvantage board for you. The turn changed nothing... So no reason to bet big... he will fold to less if he is going to fold at all. Going into turn you had about 400 behind. Betting 1/3 the effective stack makes a pot sized or just under river bet. So you can bet 125 here and have the exact same leverage. Now if you do jam river it is for a large enough amount you have fold equity. As played you had near zero river fold equity
  • TravisTravis Red Chipper Posts: 455 ✭✭✭
    You want to try to set it up so river is about pot sized bet. If your stack is to small to do this then check or jam turn is better
  • jeffncjeffnc Red Chipper Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    His idea seems to have been making what looks to be a committing bet, without the full cost of going all in. Which is not a bad idea in general. Point being he basically found out that villain was willing to go all in.
  • Michael EMichael E Red Chipper Posts: 124 ✭✭
    If someone is going to Donk alot, we are going to need to call alot. We can look to bluff on later streets. Also, if we call flop, we can still make a big bet relative to the pot on later streets.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file