Takeaways from my first live sessions

DeadliftsDeadlifts Red Chipper Posts: 128 ✭✭
Hi RCP,

Some on here know that I'm new, so I won't be repetitive. That said, I had my first live sessions over this past weekend (200NL), and I wanted to share my takeaways. Mainly because I want to make sure that my mindset is correct when evaluating the following (apologies for the length upfront):

My personal background is 25-50NL 6max online for reference:

PREFLOP:
  • I noticed that players imo, tend to value their hole cards far more than they should be
  • It felt like I could lump their ranges into 3 buckets almost based on their preflop action..
    a. limping meant trash, (felt like either out of boredom, or they don't know how to
    play hands like 45s postflop)
    b. modest opens (6-8) meant SCs, lower suited Aces, lower PPs
    c. open sizes to the tune of $10+ usually meant the top 6% of hands
  • Obviously this is all table dependent concerning the sizes, and player dependent
    concerning actual ranges..but I feel this is fair to generalize
  • I only saw a total of 2 3bets in 2 sessions, leading me to believe that hands like AQs, are being flatted, and I also didn't expect to see anyone 3betting a hand like 98s from LP after an MP raise from a maniac (just an example)
  • Off of the last point, it felt like the flatting ranges here were insanely wide
  • So ultimately what I do here, is form generalized ranges, if I see a hand at showdown, I will write that down to add the hand to someone's range for future reference
  • I also chose to open $15 from all positions ($15 was a great size that had a high probability of isolating pre)
  • I open about 33% of hands in LP, 18% of hands MP, and 6% in EP (for now)

POSTFLOP
  • I couldn't catch much equity OTF across both sessions to save a life. It felt very polarized as in I would either smash the flop, or have no backdoor equity whatsoever for continuance (not complaining, just observation)
  • None of my bet-raises were answered, whether I raised a bet otf, otr or what have you (my raise was typically 3x in these spots)
  • If anyone caught even a piece of the flop there was always a cbet, followed by a turn check if hand didn't improve
  • For draws, it would usually follow the same pattern if the turn didn't fill the draw..but followed by an easy tell when they would fire the river if the draw got there
  • Essentially, it felt like most people were playing their hands face up post flop
  • Small bets could mean they are trying to induce, but would get to trigger happy and end up again, turning their cards face up
  • Both sessions in a full table, there were about 3 OMCs, 2-3 fit or folds, 2-3 maniacs, and perhaps 1 thinking player. I never had the chance to get involved with the maniacs, which is what I prefer

Again, apologies for the length; I also understand this is generalized in that I didn't discuss MW vs HU pots, actual ranges etc. But this is how my mind operates, I like to understand that I myself am accurate in my evaluations before I move forward.

Comments

• TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 2,125 -
    Those observations are consistent with a typical Vegas $1/$2 game, except the OMC fraction drops after 4pm. Guess they have to watch Judge Judy or something.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • jeffncjeffnc Red Chipper Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TheGameKat wrote: »
    Those observations are consistent with a typical Vegas $1/$2 game, except the OMC fraction drops after 4pm. Guess they have to watch Judge Judy or something.

Dinner time at Bob Evans.

• jeffncjeffnc Red Chipper Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Deadlifts wrote: »
    [*] Obviously this is all table dependent concerning the sizes, and player dependent
    concerning actual ranges..but I feel this is fair to generalize

Raise sizes with different holdings tend to be all over the map depending on the table, so I wouldn't generalize.
    Deadlifts wrote: »
    [*] I only saw a total of 2 3bets in 2 sessions, leading me to believe that hands like AQs, are being flatted

Yes, you can throw out that stuff you read about 3-betting and 4-betting when it comes to applying to most live $1/2 games. In many places a 3-bet is KK+ and a 4-bet is AA+.
  • DeadliftsDeadlifts Red Chipper Posts: 128 ✭✭
    Thanks to you both, sounds like for the most (part minus a few), these things seem to be common.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file