Jan, 2019 Plan

ericmwhiteericmwhite Red Chipper Posts: 34 ✭✭
edited January 3 in Challenge Forum
December, 2019 Review
  • Completed 1% book and @SplitSuit video course. Used the content to develop frequency based strategy. Content served as guidance for study and hand reviews during the course of the month.
  • Increased poker BR from $49.82 to $631.99 (doubled by playing $1 SNG's, ran deep in $20 MTT, took a successful stab at NL10 cash).
  • Invested part of earnings in to first month of PRO membership

Jan, 2019 Playing Plan
Cash Games
  • Take a shot at NL25
  • Use $400 of BR and use for cash games
  • Move down if cash BR shrinks to $300
  • Mostly play cash games (used to mostly play SNG's)

SNG
  • Stab at $3 SNG
  • Apply $82.50 to SNG BR
  • Move back to $1 if SNG BR shrinks to $66 (or quit playing SNG’s except as MTT training)

MTT
  • $150 BR for MTT
  • Try $5 MTT once or twice per week (I really enjoy them but they take so much time)

Jan, 2019 Study Plan
Primary focus of study is to build disciplined poker business habits, to improve hand reading skills, and to have a successful switch to cash games at NL25 (or NL10 if the NL25 stab is unsuccessful).

Management and General Habit Development
Hand Reading
Line Development
Winning at 25NL

Comments

• MJATMJAT USARed Chipper Posts: 6 ✭✭
    Really nice job. It's said that if you fail to plan, you plan to fail. You have definitely planned. I am working on mine currently. Good luck.
  • LeChiffreLeChiffre NetherlandsRed Chipper Posts: 491 ✭✭✭
    Nice, would love to know if you manage to make it by the end of the month!

Aren't you worried you're putting too much on your plate and hence not get everything out of the material?
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 2,142 -
    Yeah it'd be great for community learning if you and others engaging in challenges would be kind enough to provide updates. Such things seem quite popular, but I'm not aware of much research beyond the anecdotal of their benefits.

To put it another way, there seems to be a conventional wisdom that, provided a challenge sets realistic goals, it is going to provide benefits. I'd love to know if this is actually true, since I'd then attempt some.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • ericmwhiteericmwhite Red Chipper Posts: 34 ✭✭
    LeChiffre wrote: »
    Aren't you worried you're putting too much on your plate and hence not get everything out of the material?

I wasn't worried about it when I put the plan together, but it's definitely possible that I'm biting off too much and reducing the value of my study time. I'll try it out for a couple of weeks, then report back.

TheGameKat wrote: »
    To put it another way, there seems to be a conventional wisdom that, provided a challenge sets realistic goals, it is going to provide benefits. I'd love to know if this is actually true, since I'd then attempt some.

You know, this is a really good point. I set these goals up as more of a design effort than a personal challenge. It's best for me if I spend time planning what I'll do (or not do), then do it (or not do it). But something that is missing from my goals are success criteria. For example:
    • How do I know if I've gotten better at reading hands?
    • How do I know if that is helping me make better decisions in tough spots.

I'll work on that, update the goals and then make a point to report back in a couple of weeks.

Thank you @TheGameKat and @LeChiffre for your responses!
  • ericmwhiteericmwhite Red Chipper Posts: 34 ✭✭
    edited February 7
    Here's my update:

Jan, 2019 Study Updates
    • I devoted a most of my study time toward developing my hand reading skills.This involved study materials, hand reviews, and working through sample hands with my friend @adamzerner.
    • During play, there were several situations where I made a bad decision based on gut rather than a range I had correctly assigned to my opponent. Those situations reinforced the need for me to trust that skill (and continue working on it) and prefer making mistakes based on an incorrect read to mistakes based on gut (more accurately, what I hope my opponent has).
    • As @LeChiffre speculated, I took on too much. I worked through everything on the list, but didn't benefit as much from my study the last two weeks of the month. I caught myself getting out of whack on the studying:playing ratio. It's an easy fix as I enjoy studying as much as I do playing.

January, 2019 Results
    • I took a couple of stabs: moving up to $3 SNG's, moving up to NL25, and multi-tabling for the first time.
    • The stab at NL25 failed. I got down 5 BI's after 4 sessions and consistently felt over my head. So I decided to move back to NL10, where I was break even for the month. Upon reflection, most of my losses were due to a few big hands each session that I lost making bad decisions (dumb hero calls, too aggressive playing OOP).
    • I was break even on my SNG's. Reviewing hands and sessions, I was pleased with my play, especially since I had moved up a level and was multi-tabling for the first time. 30% of my losses came from mistakes I made, can identify, and fix. 70% of my losses came from V making low EV calls but getting a favorable runout. (i.e. I shove w KK, V calls w 89o but hits a flush).
    • I had a great month playing MTT's. I either won or ran deep in 1/3 of the games I played in. Reviewing, there were minimal situations I could find where I played incorrectly, winning a big hand with a lucky river, etc. I know this is a higher win rate than I should expect.

February, 2019 Goals
    I'm going to dramatically simplify my study goals this month:
    • Continue working on hand reading, using examples from my database.
    • Work on line development (which is covered thoroughly in Core Postflop II)
    • Find the right balance of play/study. It's important for me to remember that I am a rec player with no professional ambitions, so I'm optimizing for enjoyment as much as I am improvement.

Big thanks to this community, I really enjoy the interactions here, how people push one another to be better, and have high expectations for themselves and others. I wish the internet could be more like Red Chip Poker.

PS -- I'm happy to continue posting these if there is some value to the community. Reading back over this, it seems a bit too self-focused, like sharing my diary or something :-)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file