3-betting range

Stavros_GeorgiadisStavros_Georgiadis GreeceRed Chipper Posts: 11 ✭✭
Do you prefer to 3-bet (or 3-bet squeeze ) with a suited hand, or its unsuited variation?
For example KdQd or KdQs?
We assume that all other parameters are the same.

Comments

• NinjahNinjah Red Chipper Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭✭
    Suited in position, off suit out of position. Stack sizes also matter.
  • ericmwhiteericmwhite Red Chipper Posts: 23 ✭✭
    edited January 5
    Ninjah wrote: »

Why do you prefer off suit OOP?

• NinjahNinjah Red Chipper Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭✭
    ericmwhite wrote: »

Suited hands realize their equity better which makes them better candidates to play in position. If I'm 3-betting off suit hands, it's usually to pick up the pot right away as a squeeze or against someone who has a high fold to 3b frequency.
  • jeffncjeffnc Red Chipper Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭✭✭

Off suit does not perform better than suited OOP, hopefully that wasn't what you were asking though....

• TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 1,465 -

Suited hands realize their equity better which makes them better candidates to play in position. If I'm 3-betting off suit hands, it's usually to pick up the pot right away as a squeeze or against someone who has a high fold to 3b frequency.

That was always my intuition, but IIRC in The Course Ed has them reversed.
    Moderation In Moderation
    Just checked. Against a steal Ed 3-bets KJs and calls KJo. KQ is a 3-bet against all steals irrespective of color.

I've never really understood this for the reasons outlined above.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • LeChiffreLeChiffre NetherlandsRed Chipper Posts: 334 ✭✭✭
    Does Ed 3-bet KJs for value then against a steal?
    edited January 6
    In my mind then, there are two scenarios:

1) The suited version is good enough to 3-bet for value whereas the offsuit version is not. In that case I'm 3-betting the suited version instead of the offsuit version. I might call or fold the offsuit version but usually call.

2) The suited version is not good enough to 3-bet for value, but good enough to call. The offsuit version is not good enough to call. In this case I am not 3-betting the suited version but might 3-bet the offsuit version as a bluff.

So it depends :)
  • Stavros_GeorgiadisStavros_Georgiadis GreeceRed Chipper Posts: 11 ✭✭
    LeChiffre wrote: »
    In my mind then, there are two scenarios:

1) The suited version is good enough to 3-bet for value whereas the offsuit version is not. In that case I'm 3-betting the suited version instead of the offsuit version. I might call or fold the offsuit version but usually call.

2) The suited version is not good enough to 3-bet for value, but good enough to call. The offsuit version is not good enough to call. In this case I am not 3-betting the suited version but might 3-bet the offsuit version as a bluff.

So it depends :)

Now I am more confused 🤔 The 2 logics contradict each other. Or is it player-dependent, position dependent, etc?

(PS: if it matters I only play live cash games)
    edited January 6
    Indeed it is dependent of those two things mostly.

For example, if a loose aggressive player opens in the SB, I 3-bet AJs from the BB for value but call AJo. This would be the first scenario, where the suited version is strong enough to 3-bet for value but not the offsuit version.

Another example:
    I'm in the BB and a reg UTG opens, folds to me. Now I'd want to call KQs but 3-bet bluff KQo. This would be the second scenario, where the suited version is not good enough to 3-bet for value (but strong enough to call), but the offsuit version is not good enough to call, but I instead use as a 3-bet bluff.

Conclusion:
    You can't have 1 rule where you always 3-bet the suited version and 3-bet the offsuit one in my mind. Sometimes you want to 3-bet the suited version for value but call or fold the offsuit version. Other times you want to just call the suited version (because it's not strong enough to 3-bet for value), and 3-bet bluff the offsuit version (because it's not strong enough to call). It is indeed mostly player- and position-dependent.
    LeChiffre wrote: »
    Does Ed 3-bet KJs for value then against a steal?

He 3-bets it, and since his 3-bet range is polarized I guess you'd say he was doing so for value.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • RedRed Red Chipper Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭✭
    This is an empty debate to me...

There is no "pure" 3bet range or squeeze range where o or s would be better. This depends on your strategy as a whole and the specific situation.
    It makes no sense, to me, to discuss things in a vacuum. Or just use a solver.
  • Michael EMichael E Red Chipper Posts: 90 ✭✭
    Red wrote: »
    This is an empty debate to me...

There is no "pure" 3bet range or squeeze range where o or s would be better. This depends on your strategy as a whole and the specific situation.
    It makes no sense, to me, to discuss things in a vacuum. Or just use a solver.

I was gonna say something similar.
    It depends entirely on who am I 3betting and why.
    If I know a guy will call 3bets WIDE, then it doesn't matter, either one will work.

As a general rule...there is one thing. In real scenario's...you have to play poker.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file