Sixes in MW 3-bet Pot

Jordan PowerJordan Power Red Chipper Posts: 338 ✭✭✭
Playing $1/$3 at the MGM National Harbor early Sunday morning, seven hours into session.

Hero ($1900) is dealt :6c: :6h: in middle position and opens to $15. A calling station CO ($400) flats and BTN ($1200) 3 bets to 45.

I've seen BTN 3-bet a fair amount in this session, mostly when in position, and from what we've seen at showdown, he has a depolarized 3-betting range, he doesn't seem to be mixing in bluffs based on the cards we are seeing. He's also playing extremely passive post flop when he misses. His 3-betting range is perceived as 99+, AK, AQ, KQ, AJs, QJs

Hero's image probably appears laggy; in the past hour hero had a ton of premium hands that connected with flops so frequencies probably appear to a thinking player way out of whack. Normally I would lay down 66, but given that CO was probably coming along and button's passivity, I thought this a decent spot to try to set mine. CO flats.

Flop ($139): :7D: :3C: :4s:

Hero and CO both check and Button elects to check, too. If it were heads up, based on this flop, perhaps button might not bet his QQ+, but MW, I would expect a bet, especially because it's pretty hard to get CO to fold and he will pay with a ton of worse hands even when BTN doesn't have a made hand.

Turn ($139): :Jh:

I don't see this as too scary a card based upon Button's range. Regardless, I check, CO checks, and Button bets $80. I call, again thinking CO might come along and improve the odds on a call (despite having already made it), but he elects to fold.

The plan for the river is to check unless I end up making the straight. If I make the straight or a set, I am going to underbet the pot, hoping to induce a bluff from V, but otherwise, I am going to check and decide on a call.

River ($299): :7c:

I check, having not improved, and Vbets $125 into $299. I need 29.5% equity to call here. Based on the range I've set for V going to the flop, I'm actually ahead of most of his range. However, V not taking the cheap showdown makes me think he has something here. He was too passive postflop. Is this a situation where despite having the equity against V's range we fold? Or should hero call?

Hope everyone is having a nice weekend.

Comments

• Jordan PowerJordan Power Red Chipper Posts: 338 ✭✭✭
    Also, I do want feedback on the preflop spot as well. I am trying to be less nitty when 3 bet, I think I overfold. Not saying sixes is the best hand to flat with, but given that I am fairly certain CO is going to come along, is this an okay hand to come along with with a passive post-flop 3 bettor?
  • LeChiffreLeChiffre NetherlandsRed Chipper Posts: 417 ✭✭✭
    I'd be far less inclined to setmine if the button is passive postflop and you're OOP.
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a flop that you should be bluffing with sixes, not bluff catching. Which, in a sense, answers the question about calling pre.
  • RedRed Red Chipper Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭
    Is this a situation where despite having the equity against V's range we fold? Or should hero call?
    Why did you never think about a raise, either on turn or river?
    LeChiffre wrote: »
    I'd be far less inclined to setmine if the button is passive postflop and you're OOP.

Yeah that's a good point; I would be hard pressed to get paid here.
    persuadeo wrote: »
    This is a flop that you should be bluffing with sixes, not bluff catching. Which, in a sense, answers the question about calling pre.

You'd advise donk betting the flop here? Or am I missing the point?
    Red wrote: »
    Is this a situation where despite having the equity against V's range we fold? Or should hero call?
    Why did you never think about a raise, either on turn or river?

Well on the river, I don't see how a raise would be a good idea. Can't call a jam, not sure what worse hand calls me, I don't think V is going to fold a jack if he has it. I don't see me making any more money when I raise since V will fold and if I don't think he folds a jack, I just light that $ on fire, no? The river was the only place I consciously thought about a raise.

But what am I repping when I raise the river? Had I had a set of 7s, I probably raise the turn. So quads are out the window. I don't have any other hands with a 7 in my range. At best, maybe AJ? Would be interested to hear your take on how a raise could be effective there.

On the turn, I think a raise would make more sense but in the moment, I did not even consider it, to be perfectly honest.
    Jordan, I'm not getting into the exact line but the point is to recognize you have or should or could have all the sets in your range here, as well as 56s, which you occupy heavily holding two sixes. You need to think about how you will capitalize on this range advantage and how you'd play 56s.
    I was just confused by your statement was all. I wouldn't have 56s here, I would fold that to a 3 bet even with a CO coming along. And maybe that's not the right play to fold that, but I never considered how I could rep a straight on that board (hence why I misunderstood your comment as well) because I wouldn't think 56 is ever in my range there.

However, I do understand your point better now. Thank you.
  • jfarrow13jfarrow13 Red Chipper Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭✭
    You wouldn't play 65s 300 BB's deep? OoOoooo
    jfarrow13 wrote: »
    You wouldn't play 65s 300 BB's deep? OoOoooo

I would open raise with it and fold to a 3 bet from someone with a depolarized 3 bet range. I don't see what stack sizes have to do with it there. My theoretical 65s is not going to perform too well against his merged range. That's my thought. Hit me with a clue as to what I'm missing here.
  • jeffncjeffnc Red Chipper Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Strictly from a setmining point of view, the preflop call isn't bad based on pot odds or stack depth, but fundamentally, you prefer preflop passivity and postflop aggression for sets. This scenario seems a bit the opposite.

I don't really see a problem playing either 66 or 65s, at least occasionally to keep it in your range, but either way, I think to see their full value you're going to have to get a bit more creative postflop to receive full value from either of these hands. "Full value" for all hands includes at least some non-zero successful bluff equity at some point.

If your present LAGgy image precludes any postflop fanciness, then you have to consider passing on the hand to begin with IMO.
    Yeah I got caught up in the odds on a call and forgot to think about V tendencies because I don't see myself getting paid here when I make a set.
    edited January 10
    It's a potientially excellent to understand that he has his merge range here, and that he will not be playing aggressively preflop. The question then becomes, can you overcome this or not.
  • JulesJules Red Chipper Posts: 439 ✭✭✭

But what am I repping when I raise the river? Had I had a set of 7s, I probably raise the turn. So quads are out the window.

What about holding the analog to 67?
    There is something funny going on here. A linear range includes the top, jordan has idenified someone raiseing with a range that is wide value, but somehow can''t put money in post.

So our bluffs will work more often not less, if this scenario is accurately described.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file