How much do you tip?

blindraiseblindraise Red Chipper Posts: 182 ✭✭
One of the biggest problems I face on the table is deciding how much to tip. Rake sucks but it doesn't do anything for the dealers whose livelihood depend on tips. At first I followed a 10% idea but then I started winning bigger pots, and I dont see anybody else tipping $70 after a $700 pot so tell me, how much do you tip and why?

Best Answers

• EazzyEazzy Red Chipper Posts: 955 ✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Win 20+....thts win..not my own money...tip 1.......win over 250 tip 2.....win 3 or 4 small pots that add up to 20...same dealer...1....

Thats it....if you plan on showing a profit at the rnd of the year..you cant be over tipping...

Answers

• persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    h3csrubx4rt0.png
    Bizarrely J. Scrooge McLittle did not include overtipping on this scandalous list of his usual tips and tricks.
  • In The DarkIn The Dark Red Chipper Posts: 210 ✭✭
    My room allows dealers to play in the games IF THEY CHOOSE. Those dealers get nothing, ever, zip, zero.

I can outline several reasons why that makes sense and most important is that it's 100% shuffle machines.
  • Jordan PowerJordan Power Red Chipper Posts: 429 ✭✭✭
    That's my approach as well, @jeffnc. Be a decent human to them first and foremost (since some people are horrible to them!) And then tip every hand but be conscious of my play on their tips. I like the idea of a slightly larger tip when you take longer since that cuts down on how much they make.

Generally I am a buck on any pot unless I am just stealing the blinds and then I go to a second dollar over $150.

10% of every won pot is just adding in another rake, basically, with no cap. That's way too much and no one expects to be tipped that much.
  • DavidDavid Red Chipper Posts: 59 ✭✭
    I’m guessing most players tip about one percent. What about on a high-hand jackpot?
    Jackpots, whatever you think is fair. That's not poker related and should not be counted in one's win rate, so it's really up to you. Our room does an hourly $200 lucky table most nights of the week; when I hit that I generally tip a little more generously, especially if I have a dealer that I like.
  • jeffncjeffnc Red Chipper Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jackpots, whatever you think is fair. That's not poker related and should not be counted in one's win rate

This has been debated.

You do lose profit to the jackpot by just by playing, so naturally the wins should be counted if you count the losses. The problem is the winnings skew your profits so much that it's hard to compare apples to apples in your win rate. But without it your win rate is being penalized with no compensation (so your long term winnings are being slowly skewed as well.)

• TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 2,124 -
    Just wanted to endorse and expand on jeff's point. Once in a blue moon I'll take a long time over a decision and that is burning up the dealer's time. That gets another dollar if I win. The flipside of this is some dealers are terrible, both in mechanics and in rudeness. If you're someone who tips the same in a restaurant irrespective of if the server was attentive and polite or if they tipped soup on you, then having a standard tip for dealers is fine. My main issue is how well dealers run the game.

Like jeff, dealers like me because I am polite to them. I tip much less than some of the flashy belligerent tourists, but being a decent human being is part of the balance sheet.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • blindraiseblindraise Red Chipper Posts: 182 ✭✭
    Thanks guys,
    As jeff stated 10% is insanity which I quickly learned
    But I never thought to include the time elapsed for the hand as a process of measuring tips,
    My room allows dealers to play in the games IF THEY CHOOSE. Those dealers get nothing, ever, zip, zero.

I can outline several reasons why that makes sense and most important is that it's 100% shuffle machines.

Wait so you mean the dealers can deal themselves in? That sounds sketchy
    edited January 8
    blindraise wrote: »
    Wait so you mean the dealers can deal themselves in? That sounds sketchy

I read the post 3 times and I couldn't figure out what it meant....

TheGameKat wrote: »
    Just wanted to endorse and expand on jeff's point. Once in a blue moon I'll take a long time over a decision and that is burning up the dealer's time. That gets another dollar if I win. The flipside of this is some dealers are terrible, both in mechanics and in rudeness. If you're someone who tips the same in a restaurant irrespective of if the server was attentive and polite or if they tipped soup on you, then having a standard tip for dealers is fine. My main issue is how well dealers run the game.

Like jeff, dealers like me because I am polite to them. I tip much less than some of the flashy belligerent tourists, but being a decent human being is part of the balance sheet.

Ok so that said, I play 1/2 and one of my standard raises is $7.

I started asking for change when a hand is not in play because of 1 specific dealer that refused to respect my $7 raise when I threw two red chips.

I announced $7 and he quickly reannounced $10, we took it to the flop which I immediately folded but it pissed me off so much I ended up literally throwing the cards at him (and tipping him a red my next win because I felt so bad)

I realized how much easier it is both for myself and the dealers to just ask for change, but shouldnt the dealer respect the bet regardless? Am I in the wrong for betting $7 and should I consider using bet sizings that make life easier for the dealers?
    The only reason I could assume he did that is he didn't hear you and/or thought the chips came out before the words, in which case it's the right call. Otherwise, it's beyond inexcusable - bet size convenience for the dealer isn't even a thing.
  • RedRed Red Chipper Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭✭
    Come in Europa. Dealer are paid decently and tips are, if welcome, not expected.
    (But then be ready for a higher rake. In Brussel where I play lately, rake at 2/2€ is 10% max 8€ + 4€/hour. Luckily the games are great and it's still worth it.)
  • RedRed Red Chipper Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭✭
    blindraise wrote: »
    I started asking for change when a hand is not in play because of 1 specific dealer that refused to respect my $7 raise when I threw two red chips.

I announced $7 and he quickly reannounced $10, [...]
    Call the floor
    jeffnc wrote: »
    Jackpots, whatever you think is fair. That's not poker related and should not be counted in one's win rate

This has been debated.

You do lose profit to the jackpot by just by playing, so naturally the wins should be counted if you count the losses. The problem is the winnings skew your profits so much that it's hard to compare apples to apples in your win rate. But without it your win rate is being penalized with no compensation (so your long term winnings are being slowly skewed as well.)

Oh that's a good point; I hadn't considered that.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file