Fold JJ as overpair to double paired board?

rickmfrickmf Red Chipper Posts: 107 ✭✭
big blind calls the 2.5 bump. Not a lot of hands against villian didn't have a lot of info. But had just suffered some bad beats. Was I too nitty here? or is it reasonable to think I was beat? Looking back maybe i should have just pushed stacks?

iPoker - $0.10 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

MP: 105.4 BB (VPIP: 22.08, PFR: 18.09, 3Bet Preflop: 9.57, Hands: 1,069)
CO: 156.4 BB (VPIP: 19.97, PFR: 16.13, 3Bet Preflop: 5.88, Hands: 645)
BTN: 100 BB (VPIP: 22.75, PFR: 18.26, 3Bet Preflop: 6.63, Hands: 2,968)
Hero (SB): 100 BB
BB: 173.8 BB (VPIP: 33.01, PFR: 15.53, 3Bet Preflop: 12.20, Hands: 107)
UTG: 105 BB (VPIP: 29.32, PFR: 20.30, 3Bet Preflop: 4.08, Hands: 134)

Hero posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has J:club: J:spade:

fold, fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to 2.5 BB, BB calls 1.5 BB

Flop: (5 BB, 2 players) 2:diamond: 2:club: 3:diamond:
Hero bets 3.2 BB, BB calls 3.2 BB

Turn: (11.4 BB, 2 players) 3:spade:
Hero bets 11.3 BB, BB raises to 50 BB, fold

BB wins 70.9 BB
Tagged:

Comments

• LeChiffreLeChiffre NetherlandsRed Chipper Posts: 464 ✭✭✭
    A bit nitpicky but I might bump it to 3BB pre given villain's loose preflop game.

Flop bet is fine but what is the thought process behind betting turn and folding to his raise? In other words, what range do you put him on when he calls flop and what do you expect this range will do when you bet turn? That should help guide your decision rather than "am I beat or not"
  • rickmfrickmf Red Chipper Posts: 107 ✭✭
    Calling from the BB i figured his range was pretty wide. Certainly enough to cover A2 A3, K2s K3s, but i don't think 2's/ 3's are a huge part of any range.

i think villian would have called the cbet with any 2 overcards or the flush draw, it was the massive overbet raise on the turn that threw me off. Something like A3 or A2 starts to make more since if he made a boat on the turn.
  • JoeOffsuitJoeOffsuit Red Chipper Posts: 394 ✭✭✭
    For a live game I may have opened for more from the SB, but for an online game I think 2.5BB is fine, because most online games I steal pretty wide when its folded to me.

If the villain is calling very wide pre-flop, betting the flop is fine, but I hope you also considered trying for a check-raise.

As played, on the turn, while we don't like checking and allowing villain to catch an Ace, King, or Queen, I really don't like firing a 3rd barrel if our intention is going to be to fold to a raise.

I do kind of regret not calling this, but mostly out of curiosity. But from my experience curiosity calls are rarely profitable.
  • JoeOffsuitJoeOffsuit Red Chipper Posts: 394 ✭✭✭
    I guess the concept I am suggesting is having a plan before we bet or check this turn. If we are betting, what will we do if the villain raises? If we are going to fold to the villain raising our bet, then lets considering checking again. We already considered we might give him a free card if he checks back. If we think he steals a lot in this spot (a lot of people do), we can consider check raising. We might also allow him to set a price for the turn, but then we have to have a plan for the river before we call whatever price he sets on the turn. We certainly don't want to make a habit of check/calling the turn and then check/folding the river with these types of hands.
    i hear that. I can appreciate that line of thinking. definitely will be a bit more careful and meticulous when it comes to playing out later street scenarios

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file