Fold AQ here?

rickmfrickmf Red Chipper Posts: 107 ✭✭
Called a 3 bet AQ and ran into AK, how should we handle 3 bet pots like this? Fold the 3bet and avoid it all together?

iPoker - $0.10 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 5 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

SB: 123 BB (VPIP: 21.96, PFR: 18.01, 3Bet Preflop: 9.71, Hands: 1,108)
BB: 161.8 BB (VPIP: 19.86, PFR: 16.12, 3Bet Preflop: 6.25, Hands: 715)
UTG: 32 BB (VPIP: 18.72, PFR: 4.46, 3Bet Preflop: 3.61, Hands: 209)
Hero (CO): 61.5 BB
BTN: 245.6 BB (VPIP: 35.92, PFR: 16.90, 3Bet Preflop: 12.73, Hands: 146)

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has A:diamond: Q:heart:

fold, Hero raises to 3 BB, fold, fold, BB raises to 9.5 BB, Hero calls 6.5 BB

Flop: (19.5 BB, 2 players) 9:spade: A:club: 5:club:
BB bets 13.3 BB, Hero calls 13.3 BB

Turn: (46.1 BB, 2 players) J:heart:
BB bets 43.6 BB, Hero calls 38.7 BB

River: (123.5 BB, 2 players) 4:club:

BB shows K:diamond: A:spade: (One Pair, Aces)
(Pre 74%, Flop 87%, Turn 93%)
Hero mucks A:diamond: Q:heart: (One Pair, Aces)
(Pre 26%, Flop 13%, Turn 7%)
BB wins 121.6 BB
Tagged:

Comments

• BartholomewBartholomew Red Chipper Posts: 13 ✭✭
    I'm not sure what the correct play is, so I hope others will reply, but I think I'm folding here unless I have some information on the villain that suggests he's 3betting light.
  • rickmfrickmf Red Chipper Posts: 107 ✭✭
    villian is (715 hands)
    20/16 3B 6
    [P] 3Bet Blind vs steals w/{JJ,AKo} (3)
    [P] 3Bet range {JJ-KK,JTs,AKo} (7)
  • blindraiseblindraise Red Chipper Posts: 197 ✭✭
    edited January 10
    I ran my :AD::QS: into :AC::KC: my last session too

Live 1/2 the villain pfr'ed to 25, I called along with 2 other players.

Bout $100 in the pot, flop came :AH: :6D: :TS:

Villain shoved for $150 I snap called.

Not much you can do in this situation except fold pre-flop.
    edited January 10
    yeah but how often do we really expect to fold AQ preflop? Maybe in 3bet+ pf with multiple callers/ raisers, but even then we've got decent cards/ equity, and lots of chips in the middle at a decent price.

Maybe AQ is just a fold post flop in these situations if it's not like Q top pair, or something else better like 2pair?? AQ seems like it kinda sucks in 3bet pots+ with an A on the board and few draws.
    rickmf wrote: »
    yeah but how often do we really expect to fold AQ preflop? Maybe in 3bet+ pf with multiple callers/ raisers, but even then we've got decent cards/ equity, and lots of chips in the middle at a decent price.

Maybe AQ is just a fold post flop in these situations if it's not like Q top pair, or something else better like 2pair?? AQ seems like it kinda sucks in 3bet pots+ with an A on the board and few draws.

It depends on the opponent and your own intuition, but you should always feel comfortable with your decision whatever it may be. I always fold AQ preflop if i think im up against AK or better, and I always fold AK preflop if I think im against KK or better.
    yeah definitely a hand to be careful with. esp in 3bet+ pots. appreciate it.
  • RedRed Red Chipper Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 11
    Folding AQ pre isn't a possibility, it's just way too strong. You've to fold sometimes pre, but you shall have many worst hands to fold in your hand distribution.

Now you also have to realize that BB doesn't need to 3bet for isolation.
    So either he is bluffing and try to find a fold, mostly a preflop fold, especially if you fold too much to 3bet or to 3bet + c-bet. But there is the need of info here. The alternative is that he is raising for value.
    Also considering you are only 61BB deep, V should either have a meh hand trying to find a quick fold (like KJo), or has a hand strong enough (usually with good equity against AQ) and is targeting to play for stacks.

Finally, considering you're rather short stack and you've a very good hand (AQo), you could also dig around a preflop 4-bet/fold.

EDIT: on turn, it's an easy fold. AQ is a bluff catcher as you're beating at best AT, KK and KcQc. But does V barrel with them?
    Thanks. Makes sense
  • eugeniusjreugeniusjr Red Chipper Posts: 427 ✭✭✭
    The parking lot hand.
    Just watched Ike Haxton run his AQs into AKo in the PCA

Villain raised to 25k on the button

Haxton 3bet to 80k in the BB

Cant recall exact stacks, Haxton was around 550k and Villain had him covered

Needless to say Villain shoved and Haxton snap-called and eliminated shortly after.

I think a fold can be found preflop
    Yeah especially in tournaments with life on the line i think the fold is more attractive than in a typical cash game.

Still a hard hand to lay down pre. Post flop, especially in 3bet pots, it often seems to only get called by better hands.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file