Best Poker Books?

rickmfrickmf Red Chipper Posts: 103 ✭✭
Have you read any? Are there any must reads? Things that aren't outdated? Mind game?

Comments

• persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • BartholomewBartholomew Red Chipper Posts: 10 ✭✭
    I actually haven't read any poker books in a while, but since you're here, I would suggest buying the books written by the coaches here. "The Course" by Ed Miller has a set of videos that work as a companion piece to the book, so that would probably be valuable to you. James Sweeney and Adam Jones just released a book all about AK entitled "Optimizing Ace King".
  • ericmwhiteericmwhite Red Chipper Posts: 34 ✭✭
    Agree with @Bartholomew. As a newish player I’ve benefited a lot from The Course by Ed Miller. Also Poker’s 1% by Ed Miller and the accompanying course by @SplitSuit have helped me in my game tremendously.
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 1,757 -
    rickmf wrote: »
    Have you read any? Are there any must reads? Things that aren't outdated? Mind game?

For mental game work, Tendler's two volumes are good as are the books by our own Dr. Tricia Cardner. Beyond that it really depends specifically what form of poker you're interested in and your current knowledge.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • itsgoldenitsgolden Los Angeles, CARed Chipper Posts: 48 ✭✭
    I recommend Elements of Poker by Tommy Angelo. I must have read it 3 or 4 times.
  • norbitnorbit Red Chipper Posts: 8 ✭✭
    Although it's not a book, a lot of Ed Miller's articles for CardPlayer magazine can be accessed for free, going back to like 2011-12.

I also like stuff by Mike Caro. He has a book about Limit Hold'em, which is not directly applicable of course, but his general observations about psychology seem relevant to any game.
  • rickmfrickmf Red Chipper Posts: 103 ✭✭
    thanks guys appreciate the suggestions
  • LeChiffreLeChiffre NetherlandsRed Chipper Posts: 417 ✭✭✭
    edited January 9
    Crushing the Microstakes by Nathan Jones to get you started with a basic strategy at the online macros.

The Poker Mindset by Taylor & Higler helps you develop your... well, poker mindset.

Grinders Manual by Carroters for more advanced online 6-max strategy. RCP has done a podcast about this one.

Essential Poker Maths by Alton Hardin for obvious reasons

These are the only books I have read and can recommend them all for beginners.
  • jeffncjeffnc Red Chipper Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TheGameKat wrote: »
    it really depends specifically what form of poker you're interested in and your current knowledge.

this

• MattPMattP Red Chipper Posts: 98 ✭✭
    I agree with those recommending "The Course." Excellent book for low-stakes NLHE.

I also really liked Doug Hull's "Poker Plays You Can Use" workbooks — both volumes are great and walk you through live hands step-by-step and help show how you should think about hands and the kinds questions to ask yourself.

• BadMoe99BadMoe99 Red Chipper Posts: 20 ✭✭
    Only played for a short time but read a lot of poker books.

For Math Should start with Alton Harding Essential Poker Maths Extendeded version (as LeChiffre also Suggested)

Then you should Read Poker Math that Matters Simplifying the Secrets of No-Limit Hold'em by Owen Gaines

After that Red Chipers Dough Halls Poker Work Book For Math Geeks

And are you really up for a challenge The Mathematics Of Poker. This one is deep.

As Previusly Suggested Nathan BlackRain79 Williams Books Crushing the Microstakes and Microstakes Playbook has some of the best tips for Exploitative play on the Micros.

Splisuits Favorit book Easy Game 3rd Edition - Andrew Seidman Is a must read. Strangely written but the content is great, learn how to think.

Ed Millers all books are super good.
    Playing The Player Moving Beyond ABC Poker
    Small Stakes No-Limit Holdem
    The Course
    How To Read Hands At No-Limit Hold'em
    Professional No-Limit Hold 'em
    1 % (but this one only read 1/3 the free part that can be downloaded)

Splitsuits books is good to
    Even if some of the numbers in Dynamic Full Ring Poker Beyond The Basics is a bit outdated, Would hope he do a similar new book for 6max, that would be a super Good manual.
    Unfolding Poker - Advanced Answers To The Most Frequently-Asked Poker Questions

The Theory of Poker is a must read to.

The Myth of Poker Talent - Alexander Fitzgerald is a super good book teach you plays and how to study poker with Crev and Flopzila
    His new book is a good read but if The myth is a 5 Explotive plays in live Poker is a 3, to much exemples from Tournaments.
    But his books is part learn out poker and part Stories from his life as a pro poker player so they are very fun to read.

For the Advance (books I only partly read)
    Applications of No-Limit Hold em -Matthew Janda
    And Expert Heads Up No Limit Hold’Em 1 and 2 by Will Tipton

A book I enjoyed also is Automatic Poker a book about short stacking. Gives a good understanding on how to think like a short stacker.

I also need to suggest the book that got me in to poker.
    Ship It Holla Ballas!: How a Bunch of 19-Year-Old College Dropouts Used the Internet to Become Poker's Loudest, Craziest, and Richest Crew

SplitSuit did write a 6-max workbook: https://www.splitsuit.com/6max-poker-workbook
    Moderation In Moderation
  • TheSlothTheSloth Red Chipper Posts: 2 ✭✭
    I would highly recommend No-Limit Hold'em for Advanced Players by Matthew Janda.

It is so well written and applicable even though it is advanced.
    Yheea the 6max Workbook. I have a friend that has the Live workbook. So 6max workbook is on future buy list.
    edited February 5
    I also need to recommend the book I reading right not. "Elements of Poker" by Tommy Angelo. Very good Mental poker book. Doug Hall also has a podcast that based around that book.
  • kenaceskenaces Red Chipper Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭✭
    BadMoe99 wrote: »
    I also need to recommend the book I reading right not. "Elements of Poker" by Tommy Angelo.

That is still my favorite poker book, and I have read almost everything on poker :)

FYI Tommy will be on the podcast within the next few weeks.
    Moderation In Moderation
    edited February 6
    TheSloth wrote: »
    I would highly recommend No-Limit Hold'em for Advanced Players by Matthew Janda.

It is so well written and applicable even though it is advanced.

Unfortunately, it is atrociously written and littered with typos, even if it is one of the seminal poker books. I always thought the reason poker books were written so poorly was to keep knowledge from the public while also marketing that knowledge, but it seems in the end it is more simple: writing is hard.
    Actually disregard that, confused that book with his first one, Applications. Sorry about that.
    There is a correction Thread for Applications of No-Limit Hold em on 2+2 forum
  • DuecesDueces Red Chipper Posts: 15 ✭✭
    The Mental Game of Poker by Jared Tendler is my current read. Really gives you good points and advice on how to adjust your mental game, tilt, fear, anxiety. Covers a lot of good stuff.

Other book Im reading too is the Theory of Poker by David Sklansky as mentioned before. Always good to get back to the fundamentals.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file