No Limping challenge, Doug hull.

LoveFishLoveFish IllinoisRed Chipper Posts: 82 ✭✭
For those who don’t know, the challenge was simple, never limp a hand regardless of the situation pre flop. Today I completed a session without limping a single hand in a 2/5 no limit live game. Here is what I found out.

1) It took both discipline and guts.
Many times I would find find myself on the button/HJ/CO wanting to limp hands such as small suited connectors or 1/2 gappers when there were multiple limpers in the pot. It took some discipline to fold early on in the session.

As my image tightened and players continued to limp in Multi way pots, I would start raising in late position with such hands as above rather than fold. For example one situation I had A 3 of clubs on the button 3 limpers. Before the challenge I would generally limp here. Today I made it 40$ go. Limpers and blinds folded. Scooped 22$

2) Not bleeding chips. Many times I noticed that I would like to limp hands above. In most sessions this would cause me to bleed chips frequently. For example limping with 10d8d. In late position in a multi way limp pot. I noticed that I probably saved around 40$-50$ in my session from not limping these kinds of hands.

3) overall

I think I saw that perhaps I have been limping to much as 40/50$ lost in limps a session can add up quick!

My hand selection was much tighter for the most part as I had to raise in order to be in a pot. When we did raise it was respected more as we have never limped into a pot. This made it easier to get away with squeeze plays with marginal hands in late position.
We bought in for 400$ and cashed out with 1215$. So great session, was a very fun challenge to complete and opened my eyes to a leak that I have!

Comments

• rickmfrickmf Red Chipper Posts: 103 ✭✭
    edited January 9
    Neat challenge. Glad it worked out for you. Good way to practice some discipline.

I've found that limping end up getting me into more trouble than it's worth by catching a small piece of the board and ending up in weird spots.
  • FreshyDugFreshyDug Red Chipper Posts: 2 ✭✭
    I play 1\3 live and I like to raise 3 or 4x with my entire range (except technically if completing the SB is considered limping). My background is playing fixed limit so I'm very comfortable playing postflop. I think that one of the under appreciated reasons to raise pre aside from taking the initiative is that, especially in low stakes, many players 3-bet range is a lot tighter than there opening raise range so in effect I get to set my own price. So, lets say I get :2s :2d UTG or :As :4s and I raise to 9 often times I get 4-6 callers. If I limp and a few other limpers follow then a player picks up a hand like :Kc :Qc they would correctly raise to 20-25 forcing me to fold most of the time. If I raise to 9 that same player is way less likely to 3-bet. Post Flop strategy is super easy at that point. Now you might say that is exploitable and you'd be right! But there are few players in these low limit live games who are good enough to do it. I would argue that the optimal live NL strategy in low limit games is exploitable and one of the most common mistakes people who study this game is to overestimate there opponents thought process.
  • U_TurnU_Turn Las VegasRed Chipper Posts: 25 ✭✭
    Great post @LoveFish. With the exception of completing the SB, I haven’t limped since starting CORE (about 8 sessions now). I feel like I’m starting to become the player I used to hate playing against.
  • jeffncjeffnc Red Chipper Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FreshyDug wrote: »
    especially in low stakes, many players 3-bet range is a lot tighter than there opening raise range so in effect I get to set my own price.

That's actually a pretty good point.

• Matt SMatt S Red Chipper Posts: 29 ✭✭
    @LoveFish Was it within the rules to just call an open raise or 3-bet ahead of you pre-flop? Or did the rules state that you had to specifically raise in order to see the flop?
  • TrentTrent Red Chipper Posts: 8 ✭✭
    At low limits most players are easy to read. When I stopped limping in, I found that my range tightened considerably, I got in heads up with worse players, and I got a lot more folds from my opponents, even when I was OOP. Doug Hull is right!
  • LoveFishLoveFish IllinoisRed Chipper Posts: 82 ✭✭
    edited January 10
    @Matt S you can call an open raise. The only rule is never limp. I went hardcore mode and considered completing small blind a limp. It makes it tough not to limp in late position when there are 5 limpers and you have AX suited.
  • Matt SMatt S Red Chipper Posts: 29 ✭✭
    @LoveFish I always consider completing the SB and even checking the BB a limp, at least for my own thoughts. I'm going to implement this next time I play. Will keep me out of uncomfortable post-flop situations.
  • LoveFishLoveFish IllinoisRed Chipper Posts: 82 ✭✭
    @Matt S I am going to try it out again today. Let me know how it goes for you and what you learn. I might just take limping out of my game entirely at the 2/5 level and above.
  • jfarrow13jfarrow13 Red Chipper Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭✭
    I've found limping only useful in very rare spots such as I know an aggro-tard will smash in huge raises, but will respect normal raises. I'll then take my raising range, and limp it, and let him try to smash bets in with a strong range intact instead of a weaker one. But that's a specific instance, generally limping is bad IMO.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file