How to play Middle pair with A in 4-bet pot

ErinningErinning Red Chipper Posts: 32 ✭✭
Hey everyone, sorry to bother you all.
It's 1-3 NL. I had $620, the villain had $560.
I raised to $20 with :Ah :Qh from BB,ug+2 call, LJ reraised to $85. Ug+2 folded. I called
The flop is
:Kc :Qd :Js
I checked, he checked
The turn is
:4c
Checked, checked
The river is :6d
Both checked
I am thinking how should I play?
I did have showdown value.
I am not familiar with the villain.
Thank you for your help!

Comments

• Jordan PowerJordan Power Red Chipper Posts: 422 ✭✭✭
    First, you aren't bothering anyone :)

Second, I believe this to be a 3 bet pot, not a 4 bet pot unless someone raised in front of you but from your write up you appear to be making the first raise. Maybe just a typo.

Third, so you face a limp/reraise here? Generally, you see a lot of players at lower stakes doing this with KK+ and AK. I don't see this happen a ton of the time with worse hands so believe it or not, I am going to consider folding this, pre. I know, seems super nitty.

The post flop play, I think a check call line is fine for the turn. V may have been delaying a c-bet and we don't want to open ourselves up to a check raise we are going to struggle to call.

On the river, well shucks, V limp re-raises and then checks back on two streets? Maybe he was just trying to bluff and take it down pre and was ready to shut it down if called? If that's the case though, we aren't getting any money from him by betting. Without any data on V this is tough, I don't mind just checking the river intending to call a bet from V. I don't see him really checking back twice with a decent hand here. And I don't think we get any value from hands we beat.
  • jeffncjeffnc Red Chipper Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 10
    It's a 3-bet pot.

Truly bizarre hand though. This is very player dependent, but pool tendencies are that you're already beat badly preflop.

It's kind of hard to believe you're ahead of his range here, which is something like AK, JJ+. He could also have some other pocket pair like TT. Limp reraisers are slowplayers by definition, so he could very easily have flopped a set. But some of them see MUB and he just doesn't want to bet, but of course won't fold. Or he has AA and worries about 2 pair in addition to AT.
  • jfarrow13jfarrow13 Red Chipper Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭✭
    I now fold AQ and KQ to 3-bets in low stakes. I find I am too often dominated. I call hands like 98s though, because I don't want to share cards, and they can win big pots vs overvalued premiums.
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 2,066 -
    persuadeo wrote: »
    You open raised from the bb?

Yeah that puzzled me. Did LJ limp-reraise, or was there a button straddle?
    Moderation In Moderation
  • ErinningErinning Red Chipper Posts: 32 ✭✭
    edited January 11
    You open raised from the bb?

Yes, I raised from the bb. Should I just check or raise?
    Sorry, i did a mistake for the topic. It's 3-bet not 4-bet.
  • Michael EMichael E Red Chipper Posts: 122 ✭✭
    I'd lead the river for two reasons.
    1) Assuming he limp re-raised...which is strange, and the two checks including when the bdfd gets there...We block some AA and AK combo's.
    TT..AJs...maybe 99. He checked twice though...pretty strong sign of weakness at this point.
    Also, your hand looks weak too...checked twice to lead the river...

2) Why give free info of your hand. For that alone, Im bet - folding the river to a raise.
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Michael EMichael E Red Chipper Posts: 122 ✭✭
    I just dont understand the action, is all.

It's a Limp Re-raise.
    Limped to Hero in the BB. He makes it $20.
    Villain repops to $85.
  • jeffncjeffnc Red Chipper Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Michael E wrote: »
    Limped to Hero in the BB.

That's the information needed in the original post. Put the action in order so we don't spend time trying to figure it out, rather than getting to your question.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file