3-bet hand from the 25k Pokerstars Players Championship on Livestream

TooncesTDCTooncesTDC Red Chipper Posts: 34 ✭✭
This hand was played by me on livestream during Day 1 of the PSPC.

Blinds are 500-1000 with 1000 BB Ante. I have 50K. Villian has 185k.

Folded to me. I have 9c8c. I raise to 2500 in HJ. Villian 3-bets me in CO to 7700. Villian won his entry and is also playing the biggest tournament of his career. It folds back to m. There has been a lot of 3-betting in this event, so I don't think this raise is super-tight. I would have to call 5200 into a 12700 pot. Even though 9c8c is at the bottom end of my range, I'm unlikely to be dominated, and with antes, I'm getting good pot odds. The bad part for me is that I will have an SPR of a little over 2 if called with a hand that would want more. We're still quite early in the tournament with 80% of the field alive, so I'm not overly concerned about ICM. I choose to call, but I think this is my most questionable decision on this hand.

Flop is Ks 4h 8h. Pot is 17900.

I check, Villian bets 6000. I have 2nd pair, no draw, But I think I am ahead of AQ, AJ, AT, QJ as well any hands that he is 3-bet bluffing with. For 6000, I call, but I'm willing to drop on a bad turn.

Turn is 5h. Pot is 29900. I don't think he is 3-betting 67s, unless he has a lot of other bluffs in his range. But hearts are possible. I remember hearing that when the flush comes, it's common for the betting lead to switch back, as I can represent the hearts. Should I be donk betting this turn? I choose to check. It checks behind.

River is a Tc. With his check behind, the broadway cards seem more likely, so the Tc scares me. I consider a blocking bet, but I think I can only call a small bet here. Villian checks behind.

I feels like I am playing too weak here, but I'm out of position, so what should I be doing here?

Tagged:

Comments

• TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 1,766 -
    I'd just fold to the 3-bet pre. You have a pretty hand but it plays like a lame pig OOP with that SPR. The other issue is that an opponent who is much deeper than you can make life difficult simply because they can exert more pressure.

Moderation In Moderation
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This would be a better call in position and can simply be a give up pre. In the cat and mouse game of poker, you'll need some r/f to encourage the raisers to make mistakes against you, not you making mistakes against them. The SPR matters less, as tournament betting will allow for more play, but it's still a bit of adventure here to proceed.
  • TooncesTDCTooncesTDC Red Chipper Posts: 34 ✭✭
    So in this spot, I'm raising about 13% of hands. When I get 3-bet, about what percent am I 4-betting and what percent am I calling? I would have though I would put hands most likely to be dominated in my folding range, like 22-99 and Broadway with bad kickers. I don't want to fold so many hands that he can 3-bet anything. Does that not apply here since there is still action after him?
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 1,766 -
    TooncesTDC wrote: »
    So in this spot, I'm raising about 13% of hands. When I get 3-bet, about what percent am I 4-betting and what percent am I calling? I would have though I would put hands most likely to be dominated in my folding range, like 22-99 and Broadway with bad kickers. I don't want to fold so many hands that he can 3-bet anything. Does that not apply here since there is still action after him?

At 50bb effective you might want to look at range construction. Relative to deeper stacks some of your suited connectors should be drifting out. My guess is 98s is fine here, but it's that part of the range that is going to end up in the r-f bucket.
    Moderation In Moderation
    TooncesTDC wrote: »

So what the hell are you folding then?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file