Unlim. Re-entry first 3 levels
20 min. Levels
25/50
50/100
100/200
200/400 etc.
No antes introduced
$3000 guaranteed

The general strategy suggestion for these rec-filled small-stakes tourneys seems to be to play tighter than the Virgin Mary,

But everytime I utilize this strat I end up mid-way through the tourney with 10-15BB eff.

I end up shoving the first premium hand I get and always end up in a race.

I've entered 5 so far, and I seem to go out in the same particular fashion every time.

Is this a suckers tourney or is there a way to make this particular venture profitable?

Comments

• MnpokerMnpoker Red Chipper Posts: 95 ✭✭
    Very common daily tournament structure. Do tobthe short stacks and short levels I opt for a contrarian strategy and like to play loose at the beginning when everyone is playing tight and bluffing at low boards knowing that most people are looking to play broadway cards. Doing this will allow you to get to the middle stages with a bigger stack and not be in shove mode as early. When I shifted to this style in dailies under 100 runners my cashes went up and my finishes went deeper do to having a bigger stack at the final table. I also stopped looking to cash and stated looking to win.
  • LoveFishLoveFish IllinoisRed Chipper Posts: 93 ✭✭
    In my opinion tight is right for these kinds of tourneys. Probably not as tight as the Virgin Mary though. I would be opening somewhere between 15-20% of hands.

Also I recommend downloading the app snap shove for when you get to 15 BB. Or you can pull up https://floattheturn.com/wp/pushfold/ this push fold chart to help you. Jamming is very effective in these kinds of tourneys. You Need to familiarize yourself if you haven’t already done so with the push fold charts.

I have tried both styles. I find playing “internet tight” in live tourneys is best. Also another tip watch the raise sizes on the table pre flop. Generally I have found most recs are raising 5 or 6 X pre flop which is way to high! But this is also exploitable for us because when we get a premium hand we can make it 5 or 6x and still get a caller or two at least in the early stages.
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 2,299 -
    How much of the $100 goes to the prize pool and do you get any relief from the blind doubling? e.g. do you get a 300/600 level or is it turtles all the way down?
    Moderation In Moderation
  • blindraiseblindraise Red Chipper Posts: 197 ✭✭
    edited January 14
    Thank you @LoveFish, very helpful tools. Do you know if there are any resources to measure defending ranges for BB's? I lose alot of chips defending with marginal holdings.

@TheGameKat 90% of the buy-in goes to the prize pool. Of that 50% goes to 1st, 30% to 2nd, and 20% to 3rd with less than 50 players (usually theres between 40-45 players). Usually the tourneys end in a chop though.

There are two relief levels, 6 (400/800 to 500/1000) and 10 (4k/8k to 5k/10k).

The blinds stop going up at level 12, 20k/40k.

I always seem to get knocked out at either level 6 or 7.
  • LoveFishLoveFish IllinoisRed Chipper Posts: 93 ✭✭
    edited January 14
    @blindraise I hate to shill for an alternate poker website but Doug Polk has a lot of helpful resources.
    Good video clip of him talking about big blind defence.

Here is an article for MTT big blind defence with all the math.

https://upswingpoker.com/guide-big-blind-defense-mtts-modern-short-stack-play/
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 2,299 -
    edited January 14
    Impressively low juice. The structure is awful, obviously, but with so much going to the prize pool I think perfecting your push/fold game would give you enough edge to turn a profit.

Our PRO library has quite a bit of blind defense material, and one of our new crash courses coming out in the next few weeks on short-stack tournament play also includes a discussion of the topic.

SplitSuit has a video that is a bit older than Mr. Polk's, but goes in to far more depth:

Given when you typically bust out, one area I'd suggest working on is a 3-bet-shove range. At this buy-in you'll often find a significant number of players whose raise-fold ranges off a ~20bb stack are too wide and in some cases auto-exploitable.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • blindraiseblindraise Red Chipper Posts: 197 ✭✭
    @LoveFish Nice vid! I've watched it a couple times as well as the rest of Doug Polks videos but I've *cough*never been to the upswing website*cough*

@TheGameKat Thank you for the resource, I'll look forward to the new course!
  • uglytunauglytuna Red Chipper Posts: 114 ✭✭
    I typically call these type of tournaments, Bingo tournaments.

TAG style works early and you can open up if you double your starting stack.

Just be prepared for some high variance play.

TUNA

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file